Airbus A380 engine question

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Reading a little bit about the A380 engines on this site - two options are available, the Rolls Royce and the Pratt & Whitney.

Does anyone have a source of info that explains the difference between the two or links to info about each one?

D.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't know enough (make that anything) about aircraft engines, here are their sites.

Rolls.

http://www.rolls-royce.com/civil_aerospace/downloads/airlines.jsp

P&W

http://www.pratt-whitney.com/prod_commercial.asp

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

The General Electric and Pratt & Whitney engines are twin spool setups, one spool for high speed turbine and compressers; the core, the other spool is the low speed turbine and the bypass fan which of course makes the bulk of the thrust. The Roll Royce Trent's are triple spool setups. I'm not sure what the third spool does. I suspect the extra spool is involved with making the engine core a little more efficient in it's fuel burn. I have read that the third spool's benefit is problematic versus the maintainance and reliability difficulties associated with the Trents. The extra efficiency barely outweighs the extra costs of maintainance. There has been some work done by GE using a geared spool for the low speed turbine and fan. The setup uses a centerless planetary gear reduction unit between the turbine and fan. By speeding up the turbine and actually slowing down the fan, the engine produces about 8% more thrust and is 9-11% more efficient than conventional twin spool designs. One other difference between the GEs, Pratts, and the Trents is the thrust reversers. The Trents use doors just behind the fans not unlike the old buckets used on the old strait pipe jets like you see on the older 737's.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Thanks both for the replies.
I find this stuff very fascinating, always have.

Dave

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...