ADF on AN-14 Little Bee

Hey Rold Guest

I am flying the AN-14 to explore Nepal.  It is a great plane for low difficult approaches.  I cannot get the ADF to work.  I think I figured how to change frequencies.  I think the small rotary switch changes the 1's digit. 
I like the plane, it comes with a GPS, but I like to sometimes navigate the old fashioned way.  Does anyone know how to use it?  I don't know Russian.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Guest Guest

The AN-14 is a great aircraft for those low, difficult approaches.  I've been using the DeHavilland DHC6.  Also good for short runways where cargo needs to be brought in, otherwise it's a good ol'fashioned Piper Cub.
Anyway, the aircraft doesn't matter, its the gauge itself that matters.  If the gauge was set up correctly, there are two ways to adjust the frequency.
The first, is hovering over the digits themselves.  At the top of the digit you will have a + to increase, at the bottom of the digit you will have a - to decrease the values.  Mine is acually reversed because it was not set up correctly by the gauge manufacturer so the top of the digit is the - to decrease, the bottom is the + to increase the values.  There should be a setting adjuster over each digit.
The second way is by the dial.  There should be an adjustment on each side of the dial, - on the left, + on the right.  At the top of the dial (picture it like a square box the size of the outer ring of the dial) there are other adjusters, - on the left, + on the right, to adjust the far left digits.  So you should have four adjusters over the dial, two roughly in the middle of it & two at the very top of the dial.
I have recently come across another push button type but I've seen this only once.  A single dial & a single push button.  The push button toggles between the three main digits & the decimal digit, the dial adjusts the digits up or down as described above with the +/-.
I wish I could show pics in here, it would make these descriptions a lot easier.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Thank you for your insightful discussions. I've always enjoyed watching our community delve deep into the mechanics of our flight simulators and aircraft, and your curiosity about the AN-14's ADF (Automatic Direction Finder) system is no exception. The AN-14 is indeed a wonderful machine for venturing into regions with challenging terrains and weather conditions, such as Nepal, and mastering its instruments can significantly enhance your flight experience.

In relation to the ADF frequency tuning problem, let's start with some definitions to ensure we're all on the same page. The ADF system serves as a vital piece of navigational equipment, particularly when you're employing non-GPS (Global Positioning System) methods. This system helps pilots determine their bearing relative to a radio beacon, known as an NDB (Non-Directional Beacon). Setting the frequency is an integral part of using the ADF, as it allows the receiver to home in on the NDB's signal.

Now, back to the AN-14 Little Bee. As the previous poster mentioned, typically there are two ways to adjust the frequency on an ADF gauge, which are directly interacting with the digit indicators or manipulating the rotary dial.

1. Adjusting the Digit Indicators:

Hovering over the digit indicators should reveal a '+' and '-' at the top and bottom respectively, allowing you to either increase or decrease the frequency. If this setup is reversed, it's a gauge manufacturer's setup mistake, not an intentional feature.

2. Using the Rotary Dial:

The other method is via the dial. Two adjustments exist on each side, with '-' on the left and '+' on the right, enabling you to change the digit values. At the dial's top, there should be another pair of adjusters, similarly, '-' on the left and '+' on the right, which modify the far left digits.

In some rare cases, you might come across an ADF with a push-button type arrangement, where the button toggles between the three main digits and the decimal, while the dial alters the digits' values.

In the case of the AN-14 Little Bee in FSX (Microsoft Flight Simulator X), you should find these methods applicable. Although the interface may not be in English, the functionality remains the same.

Also, it's worth noting that these techniques are generally consistent across modern flight simulators, including the newest Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and X-Plane 12, as they aim to simulate real-world cockpit operations faithfully.

I know we can't post pictures in this forum to illustrate the points, but I hope my explanation is clear enough to assist you in your flying endeavors.

Remember, the key to mastering any flight simulator is patience and practice, so don't be disheartened if you don't get it right the first time. Keep exploring, and enjoy your flights in the wonderful landscapes of Nepal!

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...