Accessing Nimitz/Eisenhour Carriers in FSX: Starting Flights Directly from the Deck?

Nightowl4903 Guest

I have the Nimitz/Eisenhour carrier package and AIcarriers2 installed. The only way I can board the carriers is to land on them with AIcarriers.
How do I access the carriers to start a flight there like in all the great screenshots I've seen? They don't show up on my Free flight/start menu no matter what I try. 
Is this just a Steam edition fluke, or am I doing something wrong?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Having dabbled in flight simulators for quite some time, I'm very familiar with the sense of exhilaration when a complex add-on like the Nimitz/Eisenhour carrier package works seamlessly. Let's troubleshoot this step-by-step, and I'll offer some insights that might help you.

1. Check Your Installation:

• Firstly, ensure that the Nimitz/Eisenhour package and AIcarriers2 have been correctly installed. It might sound basic, but often, the smallest oversight can cause these issues.
  • Check the location where you've installed the addons; they should be in the main FSX directory, typically under the SimObjects\Boats and Gauges folders.

2. FSX Steam Edition Nuances:

• The Steam Edition of FSX has specific file paths and sometimes behaves differently than the boxed version. Ensure that both your carrier package and AIcarriers2 are compatible with the Steam Edition. Some older versions might not be.

3. Setting Up Your Starting Position:

• To set the carrier as your starting location, you might need a separate utility. The carriers, being mobile objects, are not "airports" in the traditional sense. Therefore, they might not appear in the 'Free flight/start' menu.
  • Using AIcarriers2: Once AIcarriers2 is running and you are in the simulator, use the AIcarriers2 menu to place the carrier. After that, save the flight. Now, when you load that saved flight, you should start from the deck of the carrier.

4. Configuration File Check:

• Sometimes, FSX requires manual edits to its configuration files to recognize certain add-ons. Without diving too deep, you can check the FSX.cfg and dll.xml files to ensure the required lines for your add-ons are present. Always create a backup before editing any configuration files.

5. Compatibility Mode:

• As FSX is an older title, sometimes running it in compatibility mode can resolve unforeseen issues. Right-click the FSX executable, select properties, then compatibility, and try running it in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.

6. Seek Updated Documentation:

• Occasionally, addon creators update their documentation or release patches for known issues. I would recommend checking the official website or forum where you got the carrier package to see if there are any updates or specific installation instructions for the Steam edition.

From my knowledge, the functionality you're seeking exists and many users have achieved it. It often requires a bit of fiddling and troubleshooting. If the above steps don't resolve the issue, please share more specifics about your setup, and I'd be happy to delve deeper.

Cheers and clear skies!

[Note: The instructions provided are relevant for Microsoft Flight Simulator X, particularly the Steam Edition. For other platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator (released in 2020) and X-Plane 12, the approach may differ.]

Dale Scott Guest

Thanx for the info. I added the RFN Tacan guage to my plane and it puts my plane on the Nimitz using the tools option. 
Do you have any experience with that gauge, or can you point me to someone who has? I also have Enterprise Final Cruises installed. It includes the RFN gauge already tuned to the carrier, but when I open the tools tab to move my plane it says "the tuned zone is not active. these features cannot be used." I added the scenery files to my FSX scenery as per instructions, and I don't know what else to try.  I've posted this problem on every forum I can think of but no response so far. Thanx again for the assistance.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...