Resolving MSFS2020 Installation Error: Feature Transfer and Data Error CRC Issues

John Beck Guest

Please help me. I have tried to reinstall but after 13 seconds of running disk 1, I get the message: "feature transfer error. Default feature G:\data2.cab. Error: data error (cyclic redundancy check)". I have changed the program from my C:\ drive to my D:\ drive, under MSFS2020. Any suggestions, Ian? I am at my wits' end.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello John! First off, let me say I empathize with your frustration regarding MSFS2020 installation troubles. I've been around the block with flight simulators and understand the complexities involved. Let's delve into your issue and try to sort it out.

Understanding the Error
The "feature transfer error" and "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" you're encountering are usually indicative of problems related to the physical media (in your case, the disk) or the data transfer process itself. A Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error typically suggests that there's some corruption in the data being read from the disk.

Troubleshooting Steps

• Check Disk for Physical Damage: Inspect your disk for scratches or dirt. Sometimes, even minor physical imperfections can lead to read errors. If the disk looks damaged, consider getting a replacement.
  • Try a Different Drive: If possible, try installing the game using a different DVD drive. This helps determine if the issue is with the drive or the disk.
  • Copy Data to Hard Drive: Attempt to copy the contents of the disk to a folder on your hard drive and then run the installer from there. This can sometimes bypass issues related to disk reading.
  • Check Hard Drive Health: Since you've also tried installing on a different drive, ensure that your hard drives are in good health. Tools like CHKDSK can be used to scan and fix hard drive errors.
  • Update Drivers: Ensure your DVD drive's drivers are up-to-date. Outdated drivers might lead to compatibility issues with newer software.
  • Close Background Applications: Ensure no other applications are running that could interfere with the installation process. This includes antivirus software, which can occasionally cause issues.
  • Run as Administrator: Try running the installer as an administrator, as this can resolve permission-related issues.

Additional Considerations

• If all else fails, you might want to consider a digital download version of MSFS2020. This would bypass potential disk-related issues.
  • Keep in mind that MSFS2020 is a resource-intensive program. Ensure your system meets the required specifications for optimal performance.

Lastly, while your issue is specific to MSFS2020, similar installation problems can occur with other platforms like X-Plane 12, especially when using physical media. The general troubleshooting steps remain relevant across different simulators.

Do let me know if any of these steps work for you or if you need further assistance. It's always a pleasure to help a fellow simulation enthusiast.

Remember, perseverance is key in resolving technical issues. Keep at it, and I'm confident you'll be back to enjoying MSFS2020 in no time.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...