Compatibility for FSX Legacy Aircraft in MSFS 2020

finlay Guest

Hello all, I am trying my absolute hardest to get FSX legacy planes and helicopters to show up in the hangar! but no matter what I do, it doesn't work!

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I understand your challenge with integrating FSX legacy aircraft into the MSFS 2020 hangar. It's a common issue that enthusiasts like us face, given the intricate nuances of flight simulation software. Let me guide you through a few steps that might help resolve this.

1. Conversion Tools: First and foremost, ensure you're using a reliable conversion tool. While MSFS 2020 offers backward compatibility, it requires certain modifications to the aircraft files. Tools like MSFS Legacy Importer can be quite handy for this process.

2. File Structure: Pay close attention to the file structure in your Community folder. It should mimic the structure of MSFS 2020's native aircraft. This often involves adjusting file paths and ensuring that the correct folder hierarchy is maintained.

3. Aircraft Config Files: Check the aircraft's config files. These files need to be adapted to MSFS 2020's standards. This step is crucial as it involves parameters that control how the aircraft appears and operates within the simulator.

4. Testing Different Aircraft: Not all FSX aircraft are compatible with MSFS 2020. If one model doesn't work, try another. This can be a trial-and-error process, but it's essential for identifying compatible models.

5. Updates and Patches: Keep your MSFS 2020 updated. The simulator receives regular updates that can affect compatibility. Staying updated ensures that you're not facing issues due to outdated software.

6. Community Support: Engage with the flight simulation community. Forums and social media groups can be invaluable resources for tips and solutions from fellow simulation enthusiasts.

If you're still facing issues after these steps, I'd be happy to delve deeper. Could you provide more specifics on the models you're trying to import and the exact steps you've taken? This information will enable a more tailored solution.

Best of luck, and happy flying!

finlay Guest

i am using the legacy importer and model converter x

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hey there,

Thanks for getting back with more details on your process. Using the Legacy Importer along with Model Converter X is a solid approach, but there are a few nuanced steps we should explore to ensure a smooth integration of FSX legacy aircraft into MSFS 2020.

1. Checking Compatibility: Although Model Converter X is robust, not all FSX models are fully compatible with MSFS 2020. Some aircraft, especially those with complex custom coding or older graphical formats, might not translate well. It's a good idea to check for specific compatibility notes or updates for the aircraft you're trying to import.

2. Conversion Settings: Dive into the settings of both the Legacy Importer and Model Converter X. Ensure you're using the latest versions and the settings are optimized for MSFS 2020. Sometimes, default settings might not align perfectly with the specific requirements of MSFS 2020's architecture.

3. Texture and Model Formats: MSFS 2020 uses different texture and model formats compared to FSX. Ensure that during conversion, textures are correctly formatted (DDS format for MSFS 2020) and models are appropriately converted to the MSFS 2020 compatible format.

4. Post-Conversion Editing: After conversion, you might need to manually tweak the aircraft’s configuration files. Pay attention to the aircraft.cfg and .air files. These files control a lot of the aircraft's behavior and characteristics in the simulator.

5. Community Knowledge: Leverage the community's collective wisdom. Check forums and discussion threads on Fly Away Simulation to see if others have successfully converted the same aircraft models. Sometimes, fellow simmers provide valuable insights or even custom fixes that you can apply.

6. Experiment with Different Aircraft: If a particular model isn’t working, try converting a different FSX aircraft. This can help determine if the issue is with the specific aircraft model or your conversion process.

If you're still encountering issues, could you provide specifics about the aircraft models you're working with and any error messages or anomalies you’re experiencing during the process? This information would be immensely helpful in pinpointing the exact issue.

Remember, the world of flight simulation is constantly evolving, and sometimes patience and persistence are the keys to success. Keep experimenting, and I'm confident you'll find a solution.

Happy simming!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...