Troubleshooting MSFS 2020 Add-ons Installation via Steam

Pro Member Trainee
sterk03 Trainee

New to MSFS2020 and using Steam. I downloaded some market MSFS2020 products and they showed they downloaded.
I now cannot find the downloads and then how do I get to install them? I think I got that it deals with the community and strange one of the downloads is working yet I have not installed it.  So just need to become familiar with the locations and then I think I read enough about the installation process once I have the folder.  Thanks, Sterk03.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello Sterk03,

Your situation is a common one among new MSFS 2020 users, especially those navigating the platform via Steam. I'm here to help you unravel this.

Firstly, it's key to understand that MSFS 2020, particularly when operated through Steam, has a unique file management system. Your downloaded add-ons are typically directed to a specific folder within the game's directory. This is usually located in your AppData or Local folders, depending on your installation settings.

Locating Your Downloads:

1. Open Steam and go to the Library.
  2. Right-click on Microsoft Flight Simulator and select Properties.
  3. Under the Local Files tab, click on Browse. This opens the game's root folder.
  4. Here, look for the Community folder. This is where most add-ons are stored post-download.

It's intriguing that one of your add-ons is operational despite not having manually installed it. This suggests an auto-install feature, which some add-ons come equipped with. For others, manual installation is necessary.

Manual Installation:

• Locate the downloaded files, typically with a .zip extension.
  • Extract these files (if they are compressed) into the Community folder.

If you're still unable to locate your downloads, I suggest checking the Downloads folder in your Steam directory or the default location where your browser saves downloaded files.

Further Steps:

• Ensure your game is updated to the latest version.
  • Restart Steam and MSFS 2020 to refresh file directories.
  • If issues persist, consider reaching out to the Steam support team for more specific guidance.

While the focus here is on MSFS 2020 via Steam, it's worth noting that similar principles apply to other platforms like X-Plane 12. The specifics of file directories might differ, but the overarching concept of locating and installing add-ons remains consistent.

I hope this addresses your concern. If you have further questions or need more details on a particular aspect, don't hesitate to ask.

Happy flying!

Pro Member Trainee
sterk03 Trainee

I tried every method and I find the Community folder but no purchases are in the folder.   No DOwnloads in Steam either.
I will try to get an answer with steam.
Sterk03

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...