Game graphics looks like crap

ShortStop02 Guest

i have

Win XP
GeForce4 MX 420
254mb ram

is that good? if it is, then why does it look like crap? im not sure if i need a new driver or not cause i dont know where to check. im not too good with this kinda stuff so if anyone could put it simply that would be great!

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
BashDaBish Guest

You forgot about your processor?

From what you have posted, your graphics card is actually quite a low end card nowadays....and the '254mb' (this will be 256 but nobody's picking nit's here 😛) is probably not enough memory. Windows XP uses the 256mb just to run so there won't be much left over ofr other applications.

No real surprise that the graphics look poor.....you need to do some investing Help!

shortstop Guest

oh its pentium 4. i dont know computer parts and hardware that well so i dunno what the hell im doing.

BashDaBish Guest

To be fair, with that graphics card and that amount of memory you are gonna struggle to get anything decent out of the graphics.

Investment is needed....good luck

Pro Member Trainee
Pitt Trainee

BashDaBish wrote:

You forgot about your processor?

From what you have posted, your graphics card is actually quite a low end card nowadays....and the '254mb' (this will be 256 but nobody's picking nit's here 😛) is probably not enough memory. Windows XP uses the 256mb just to run so there won't be much left over ofr other applications.

No real surprise that the graphics look poor.....you need to do some investing Help!

Thats right whats your processor. I'm using petium 4, 512mb ram, 120gb, radeon 9800 pro & the graphic just looks awosome.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

To be honest ShortStop, that hardware is probably the bare minimum FS will run on, never mind look good.

Really the absolute minimum spec you should consider would be a 128Mb Graphics card, 512Mb RAM and a 2Ghz processor.
The better systems would have a 256Mb graphics card, 1Gb of system RAM and a 3.5Ghz and above processor.

I spent £700 upgrading my motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics Card though you could get away with spending just under £500.

Dave

so, what would you guys recommend buying first? like what would give me the best boost in graphics?i cant buy a whole new computer so ill just slowly get the stuff i need.

BashDaBish Guest

You need at least 512mb of memory but the more the better. And get yourself a graphics card with at least 128mb memory but 256 recommended. Here's what I have at the moment and mine can still be a bit laggy.

Athlon XP 3000
1Gig memory (2 x 512mb sticks)
128mb Geforce 6800

The sticking point for me is the graphics card......although awesome for games such as Far Cry and Call Of Duty, it does struggle with the memory intensive FS2004. I should of got the 256mb Geforce 6800 but getting well into big money.

It's not really my place to recommend Graphics Cards simply because it is not my money I am spending.

Hope this helps.

thanks, ill look into it

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I think the reason you can struggle with FS2004 is the CPU. I had a great graphics card but only a P1700 before I upgraded and scenery-intensive flying wasn't possible - add-ons such as PDMG's 737NG nearly killed the poor thing.

Just worth mentioning that you could still be limiting yourself doing one bit at a time ie. your motherboard may only support the older RAM and processors up to a certain level (my old motherboard only went up to a 2.2Ghz processor).

PCI-E has overtaken AGP as the graphics card interface 'king' right now and 400Mhz RAM has come in. This is what I plumbed for and it works really well with FS2004.

Dave

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

Athlon XP 3000
1Gig memory (2 x 512mb sticks)
128mb Geforce 6800

Looks good beside the graphics... A 6800 looses all its interests with 128mb... but not its price. I would recommend rather the GeForce 6600GT 128mb, which is I think the best pick in graphics at the time. But be careful not to take a 6600 that is not GT, because then the performances go away 😕

Good luck 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...