The Gods Must be Crazy II

Guest Ed Guest

No, this is not a religious post. I just watched the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy II" on DVD and there is a really cool little ultralight aircraft in it which figures in the story quite a bit.

It's a twin engine, high wing, two-seater with an exclosed cockpit, and an inverted V tail. Very strange looking little plane. I could tell you a few more things about it, but not without giving plot spoilers.

The only marking on it was "VEV" on the tail-- I assume that was its tail number. Anybody seen that movie and call tell me what the aircraft is?

BTW, if you've never seen the original "The Gods Must Be Crazy" it is quite a hoot. Both movies had me laughing out loud.

Thanks,

Ed

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I watched the video a few years back and thought it was quit good.I'm not to sure what the aircraft was but I can say that "VEV" is not it's reg no. because an aircraft in South Africa or Zimbabwe normaly flyies with registration no. starting with ZA [e.g. ZA -1123].

P.S: was it this type of Ultralight [just this one is without an enclosed cockpit]

HoboMobo Guest

You know, it's pretty bad when you have to start a post with "This is NOT a religious post". There's no paranoia about having anything to do with God around here is there?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

HoboMobo wrote:

You know, it's pretty bad when you have to start a post with "This is NOT a religious post". There's no paranoia about having anything to do with God around here is there?

No paranoia but this is a Flight Sim board made for the discussion of flight.
We (most of us) use the sim and come here to escape the world around us, religion, politics etc.
If you check out the simple general rules of the forum you'd see what I mean.
If arguments or discussions other than flight "break" out then this wouldn't be the enjoyable place it has been.
The net is overrun with "discussion" forums.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

was it a beechcracft Bonanza V35?
I don't know how to post images yet so you can go on google to see what it looks like.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Blake14 wrote:

was it a beechcracft Bonanza V35?
I don't know how to post images yet so you can go on google to see what it looks like.

JVD has a pic of it above. A B35 has a tail that's like a "V" not upsidedown.

Radar

Guest Ed Guest

JVD,

Yes, I believe that's it, except that one in the movie had a two seat side-by-side cockpit with gull-wing doors. So what is it? Where did you find that?

Thanks,

Ed

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Was it the aircraft where they had to refuel in mid air with some Alchhol ❓

Guest Ed Guest

JVD wrote:

Was it the aircraft where they had to refuel in mid air with some Alchhol ❓

Yep. Who knew an airplane would run on scotch whisky? 😂

Ed

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hey Ed,

Ah, I fondly recall that film! The ultralight aircraft you're referring to always intrigued me as well, given my keen interest in both aviation and flight simulation. From my knowledge, the aircraft is the Rutan Quickie, designed by Burt Rutan. The "VEV" you saw is indeed its tail number for the movie, not an actual registration.

The Rutan Quickie is known for its unique design, especially the inverted V-tail which you aptly pointed out. It combines both the functions of rudders and elevators. As for its twin engines, while the original Quickie design came with a single engine, there were many customizations and adaptations of the design over the years, and the film's version seems to be one of those adaptations.

If you're into flight simulation, you'd be delighted to know that there are a few Rutan Quickie models available for platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and X-Plane 12. It provides quite the unique flight experience, especially if you're used to more conventional aircraft. Though do note that while these platforms offer the Quickie, the twin-engine version as seen in the movie might be rarer.

And yes, "The Gods Must Be Crazy" movies are a real treat! The combination of humor, culture, and the occasional aviation reference always makes for a good time.

Here are some characteristics of the Rutan Quickie for the curious:

• Single or dual engine configurations
  • High-wing design
  • Canard in front for stability and control
  • Unusual inverted V-tail design
  • Typically seats only one, but there are two-seater versions.

If you're interested in reading more about the Rutan Quickie or similar unique aircraft designs, the EAA's website is a great resource. They often delve deep into experimental and unconventional aircraft.

Cheers and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...