Autopilot Landing- please help!!!

AndyRCNextGen Guest

Hey, I need someones help...I have been trying to land MS FS 2004's Boeing 747-400 using the autopilot all day now and I just can't do it. I am following the instructions in the strategy guide (which uses a learjet as the example but i presume is the same principle on the boeing)

I am trying to land on runway 22R at JFK. I get the aircraft down to 6,000 feet about 30 miles out. I am more or less in line with the runway flying a heading of 222. With the main panel (i think the correct definition is primary flight display??) set to Nav (as opposed to GPS) it picks up the ils freq of 109.500 at about this point (the milage away from the runway is shown in the bottom right). The aircraft is decelarating and I hit the approach hold switch. It then tries to pick up some sort of signal but turns well off course of the runway. Also, with the main panel set to nav when I hit the approach hold button it doesn't knock out the altitude hold button. With the main panel set to GPS, it does knock out the altitude hold button but the plane doesn't glide down the slope it just goes into freefall. Also, just so you know, with the main panel on nav, I have changed the CRS numbers to 222 in the top right.

sorry this is quite long winded but can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong

thanks!!

Andrew

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀
Trying to run before you can walk 🙄

Try it in the Learjet or a 737 1st

1st make sure the ILS frequency is correct for r/w22r and set it on both nav radios

You should be flying on NAV (you control the heading and altitude)

Do not engage the APP untill you are close enough to the airport

Aim to pass the airport at a shallow angle to the runway
about 15/20 miles out at about 4000ft
Only hit the APP button when you see the altitude marker show on your main display(if the marker is above thecentre line on your main display you are below the glide slope(which is good)if its below then you are too high and may have to call a missed approach)

The autopilot will not land the aircraft,so dissengage the A/P at about 800ft and gently put her down

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Follow this for an ILS approach and you cannot go wrong!

1. ATC should give you a long clearance for an approach when you are roughly 30-50 miles away from them. Note this is for IFR so you obviously need to be tuned into ATC etc and the airport you are landing at.

2. Go to the map and double click on a runway that has a green feather pointing in the direction of the approach. (If you do not see any ILS feathers, then make sure you have selected them at the top of the map). Once you have double clicked on the runway, a list will appear, with the frequencies for COMM (i.e. clearance, ground, tower etc) and NAV (i.e. ILS approach frequencies) as well as ILS headings and the elevation of the airport. You will be given a runway to land on in point one when they give you clearance. Find the ILS frequency next to that number. For example, ATC tells you to land on runway 9L at EGLL, so on the map you find the ILS frequency (110.30). Also find the ILS heading and remember that as well as the frequency.

3. Open up the radio stack and type this into NAV1 and make sure it is in the primary position, meaning it is on the left as opposed to the right of the two dials. This can be done by pressing the <---> button in the middle of them. At the bottom of the radio stack, there should be a row of clickable buttons, namely COM1, COM2, BOTH, NAV1, NAV2, ADF, DME etc. Click the NAV1 button as to illuminate the light. Then type the ILS heading into the course indicator probably on the AP panel. This means that the ILS is now set up, and you should begin to hear the Morse code identifier.

4. Now, once you approach the airport you must switch the toggle button of GPS/NAV to NAV. This is the only way the ILS will work, so make sure you have done this. Switching this toggle will enable the ILS to work, but will disable the GPS waypoints navigation. So if you are using AP then switch from one form (GPS) to the other form of navigation (NAV).
5. As you get closer to the airport, you will now be hearing the ILS Morse code identifier and you should be roughly on course, according to the HSI (but only if you have remembered to type the ILS course into the course selector). You will soon enter the glideslope pattern where you will need to slow down considerable to stay on it, about 180 MAXIMUM in a jet.

6. On the attitude indicator on the right and bottom side or similarly on the HSI, white indicator lines shall appear, with a pink triangle on both the vertical and horizontal set of lines. The big line in the middle is the centre of the approach and is the correct glideslope. If you are too high, the triangle on the vertical axis will be below the middle line and vice versa. If you are too far to the left, the line will appear to the right of the middle bigger line, indicating that you should turn to the right until it centers. To put it simply, fly towards the lines as to centre them.

7. Once you are roughly on approach and have been given permission to land you can use the autopilot. If you do not want to, then just carry on using the method above of centering the plane yourself and reducing speed and flaps etc. If however you do want to use autopilot then click the APP button, making sure the HDG button has disengaged itself and the toggle switch is on NAV. Deactivate the whole AP system at 500 feet. I hope this helps. Do not forget to lower speed in the approach and lower flaps and auto brakes/spoilers etc.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...