video problems in fs2002

Airwolf9090 Guest

ok when your in the plane all the (water) around you is black and the plane is black but not every plane is black i am thinking one of the settings is doing this but i have gone over all the settings and still i get the black all my drivers are up to date spec's below well thin i turned down all the detail and now i can see the water but the plane is now white and some of the towers are black i am now thinking it may be a conflic between my video card settings and the settings of the game

windows98se
ASUS P4S8X-X MOBO
Asus Ti4200 128mb x8 agp video
celeron 2.0ghz running at 2.7ghz
1gig ram----- 1x pc2100 512mb ram, 2x pc3200 256mb dual channel ram
52x32x52x liteon cd-rw
16x dvd-rom sony
40gig hdd

Answers 29 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Rendering usually is the job of the ram. You have mixed ram. The stronger faster ram is forced to run at the speed of the slower ram therefore you may not have anywhere near the amount that you think you do.
I would remove some (the 512 first) and see what the sim looks like.

Your video card throws me, I think it's old but the search results I get back are mixed, old and semi new.
If it is an old card then that's part of your problem.
Older cards run better with older drivers.

Turn off scenery, traffic, clouds, water and autogen slides and see what it looks like.

I had an ATI 64mb and some of my add-on scenery was white, I bought the ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 and all the color is now there.

Let us know how you do.
Your the geek, does overclocking your CPU use up ram?

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

nope takeing out that ram did not work turning down the settings did the same thing and i seen when i turn on reflections the planes turn black and when i turn off reflections the plane goes back to a unpainted model does that tell you anything?

overclocking your cpu should not use up ram

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I just realized, you can't have 1 gig of ram with W9x, only up to 512mb.

When the aircraft is grey it's because the sim cannot render the color, with the slides down it should have.
While you at it shut off shadows also, but that won't cure it.

I take it that this happens to all of your aircraft. A reinstall might help, if you do clean installs of Windows periodically now would be a good time, start fresh.
Why not go XP, that machine could handle it without blinking.

Did you use the older drivers and did you clean out the drivers (video) that you had first.
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Thanks for the overclocking info, I hope I didn't insult you by calling you a geek, to me it's a complement. I wish I had your expertise.

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

is i had the money i would update to windows xp but no money no upgrade lol w9x does not go to 512mb it goes to 756mb i beleave its grey on almost all the aircraft but some of the defaults (the cessna RG, extra300, the liar jet, sail plane i think thats it) and the ones i added i think i will do a format and reinstall windows but first i will have to burn the updated drivers

BTW: you did not insult me by calling me a geek i am a member of http://forums.majorgeeks.com/ i think thats the number one help site out there lol look me up on there i am N5638J on there i could overclock my processor to 3.6ghz if i wanted too but i would need more fans thin i have i will be back in like 30mins to 1hour going to formate and reinstall and see how it works thin

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You have 2002 not 2004 sim. It takes much less to run it because 2004 is more graphic intensive than 2002.
What am I getting at, your computer should do an excellent job running it.

My guess is that It has to be the video card unless you added scenery that's causing this.
By installing new clean drivers you may solve it but by a clean install and reinstall of the sim you should be home free.
When you add anything to the sim it has to be 2002 and load one at a time so you know what caused the problem.

I may be building an (entire) new machine for myself (first time) in a month or so, I'll come to your forum for help (I hope I don't need any)

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

ok i just got done formating and reinstalling all the drivers now to install the game befor i formated i had noting but 2 planes added to fs2002 i dont think it could have been my video card because battlefield1942, GTA: VC, GTA3, FS98, DOOM3, Ravenshield all play just fine no problems at all and good luck on new bulid
oh BTW anynews on fs2006? i thought it would be comming out this year because of the way its been like fs98, fs2000, fs2002, fs2004 it seems they put one out every 2 years

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

No news yet on 2006, MS is quiet.

Don't forget to load DirectX 9.0c.

Let us know how you do, good luck with it. 👍

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

same thing damnit lol i dont think 9.0c works with this video card but i will try anything at this point. someone gave me a radeon 9200 and i am just waitting on him to bring it over and when he does i will give it a try see if that works

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It may be the video drivers for 2002, did you clean the cards contacts and reseat it.
See how the ATI card works and let us know, see ya later.

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

nothing seems to working microsoft says the card should work just fine with the game they say my computer should run it no problem at all if that was true why am i haveing the video problems 9.0c did do nothing it seems is there any updates for fs2002 i should know about?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I thought there was a patch for it, I never had it, Check this out and see what you think of it.

Keep your mip-map settings in the sim at 4-5

http://flightsim.computing.dundee.ac.uk/fsirmuti.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314652

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

well no help there lol well some bad news i will be offline for afew days i think untell the first of the month i might just take my pc to a friends house so that way i can still come on line and check in on yall Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Check this post out, his help came from the cards mfg, try NVIDIA.
Keep us up to date!

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/6357/now-i-know-why-damn-things-always-stutters/

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

heres some pics of what it looks like the one with the black plane is when the settings is on high and the other is when settings are set to low

http://www.mcadam.7-edge.com/images/Web%20flight%20sim.jpg

http://www.mcadam.7-edge.com/images/Web%20wth%20is%20going%20on.jpg

Airwolf9090 Guest

well i contacted Nvidia about it and they sent me to the ASUS website to contact them so i sent them an e-mail so now all i can do is wait for a anwser from them 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've never seen the black one before but the grey I have seen and a better card fixed that.

I hope that updating the mobo does the trick, I'm out of guesses.

You did try different combinations of your ram, removing some and running on others incase it a bad stick, or more.

The only thing you do differently than most is overclock your CPU and I don't know enough about that to see if that's the problem.

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

ok still have not heard anything back yet and here it is 11:47pm work 2 or 3 days trying to get the game working right you said you hope updating the mobo works what did you mean by that? did you mean updateing the drivers? or updateing to a newer mobo?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Update the drivers but if you are going to do a upgrade that would be fantastic, good luck with it.
Did you try your friends ATI card yet.

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

🙄 tech support was no help this is what they said in the e-mail they sent me
"Dear Sir/Madam:

Test with the latest drivers for both your motherboard and VGA card. You may need to update the application via the Microsoft website.

Best Regards
Aaron
Asus Technical Support"

what abunch of BS i told them everydriver for my mobo, video, well everything is uptodate hell i evened updated my bios and they tell me to update and look for updates for the game 🙄 😂
anyone have a idea on what i should do? i turned down the overclocking back to 2.0ghz even tho i knew that could not have been it raderman you sure no update for fs2002?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

All tech support guys work from a manual, if it doesn't have it then it doesn't exist (to them).

I thought that there was one, besides the one that removed the World Trade Center Buildings.
But I can't locate it and if I can't then I imagine there wasn't one (egotistical of me huh), the only way to know is to e-mail MS and ask.

There is a simple solution to your problem but we haven't hit on it yet, frustrating.

If you go to a open field grass strip, high FPS you still can't get color?

I would play around with the memory, you have 3 or 4 ways of trying it, maybe a bad stick is the cause.
I know it works on all of the other games, but try if you can.
Can you get the ATI card to try out, we still can't rule that out.

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

that ati card should be getting here with in this week (he mailed me it) i also already e-mail ms about it i am going to pull out the dual channle and try a stick of the pc2100 ram i have 2 sticks of it to try 512mb each 😀

Airwolf9090 Guest

ok well i tried all different kinds of ram and nothing but i am thinking my pc should be able to handle this game because it runs doom3 with high frame rate and it seems to be running fs2002 at a very high frame rate all that is worng is the color Evil or Very Mad i turned down the frame rate in fs2002 and still the color problem should i just go out and try to buy fs2004? if so where can i find it real cheap?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I thought it might be bad ram, too bad that's not the cure.
Curious about the other card, we'll see.

$4.99 after rebate.

http://www.freeafterrebate.info/index.php?topic=software&page=2

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

well if no wait when i get the problem fixed i will tell yall how i did it lol

Airwolf9090 Guest

hey raderman you mind if i use your little plane? on the bottem of your posts?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your welcome to it. DC-6

Not for here I hope, I can get you something else then.

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

ok the 9200 fixed the problem thanks for all your help

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

So it was the card after all. I'm sorry the other didn't work but now you have it flying, enjoy!

Radar

Airwolf9090 Guest

i was wondering how many people still play fs2002? i still play fs98 lol i like flying the chopper in fs98 alot more harder and fun Twisted Evil

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...