now i know why the damn things always stutters

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

looks like my ATI 9800 has stopped rendering the texture. so what is supposed to be done by the video card is now the burden of the CPU. in other words, the CPU is doing software rendering for the video card, thats why the CPU is overloaded and display is stuttering. I realized that I had a stuttering problem when I first got the card, but after I checked "hardware rendering" in FS2004, it all went smooth. Now I am having the same old trouble. So I did a test: turned off the hardware rendering in FS04, then tried flying around a big city. The stuttering is exactly the same as when the hardware rendering was enabled in the same enviroment, that means: the hardware rendering is not working at all. It is possible that the card is down, only a few months old.....damn it!!!

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Go to start/run and type in dxdiag/ press OK. Try out the video in there.

ATI should help with it since it's almost new.

Radar

Nottobe,

I also have an ATI 9800 and have noticed stuttering when there is high graphic loads, specifically in external view with dense clouds or large cities. It seems to run fine when you don't put a lot of stress on the system, but once it starts it doesn't stop stuttering. Sounds like you and I may have the same problem. My ATI is just under 1 year old. Do you think it could be a setting in the ATI control panel that is causing this problem?? Let me know if you find a fix.

Thanks!!

Nottobe,

If I recall correctly, which chances are I'm not, there was a new set of ATI drivers that came out in Feb or about that time?? That seems to have been when my problems started, so I am wondering if there is some conflict with the new drivers? Could there be a conflict with the new drivers?? I don't know.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

i am going to call the ATI tech support today. but they require registration before they provide you the number. so i will open the box, take out the card, get the sn number (i believe the sn number is on the card, otherwise I would be in trouble, coz the packaging box is gone), i will give u update.

Nottobe,

I also just created a support ticket at the ATI website describing the situation. If I hear anything from them I will be sure to let you know. While on their site I did notice they have a new set of drivers from 5/17/05, I plan on giving them a try later in the day. I'll let you know if I have any success with them.

Thanks!!

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Nottobe,

I also just created a support ticket at the ATI website describing the situation. If I hear anything from them I will be sure to let you know. While on their site I did notice they have a new set of drivers from 5/17/05, I plan on giving them a try later in the day. I'll let you know if I have any success with them.

Thanks!!

OK, I pretty much fixed the stuttering problem after I talked to the tech support. I updated mother board first. I dont know what MB in your system, I have Intel, so I updated the chipset software for AGP card slot. Then I updated ATI driver, see here https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27
choose what OS you have, assume you use XP, click on XP, then click on RADEON, then click this link and install CATALYST 5.5 Windows XP - Driver Download. I did the mother board first, reboot, then ATI and reboot, not sure it the sequence matter, it worked on my machine.
If you installed a lot addons, like UT, USA ROADS, F1 Water, etc, you may still get some stuttering around the airport, but I think this is normal. The 3 D cloud is a killer, move the 3D cloud bar all the way the the left (20%), this saves a lot your video card resource, but you hardly see the difference. Keep it at detailed clouds, SIMPLE is ugly.
If you have UT, set traffic at 50%, then you will get rid of the stuttering at a big airport. besides, 100% traffic makes you wait half an hour to get airbourne.....
hope this helps you, let me know, and good luck.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

nottobe,
Good work and thanks for giving us the information, it should help others.

Radar

OK, I also think I have taken care of the stutter problem. However, in the past when I say that it returns immediatly, so I say it with caution.

I installed Windows XP service pack 2 and then installed the newest ATI drivers and it SEEMS to have taken away the problem.

Thanks for the help!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...