Deleted an entire program by accident - a fix?

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I made a rather large mistake by deleting an entire program.Every time I try to reinstall with CD's I get the uninstall option but the PC can't uninstall anything from that specific program because I deleted it Embarassed . Is there anyway for me to fix this problem ❓

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

Good Lord I hope so for your sake. Good Luck!

Is the program still listed in the Contro Panel/Remove programs list - if so there is an option to remove from list - take this option. This might then prompt the install option when you insert the CD or....

Presuming the Program CD is Autorun - close the initial screen then select Start/Run and browse to the CD which should have an 'install.exe' or 'setup.exe' or some such which - select OK - it might do the trick

BTW how did you delete the original program - if you just deleted it by deleting folders - then this is what has caused your problems. Always delete/install using the Control Panel/Add - Remove programs option- this clears all the files associated with that program - even the Registry entries.
Best of Luck

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I agree with guest, do s manual install rather then the auto run. also I would go in a delete any existing folders that may be on your drive. Often there are some left behind.

If all else fails, you can try to edit your registry(only if you know what you are doing), as this can really screw up your PC. There are low cost , safe programs available to help you or you can download a trial one from cnet.com

Good luck

Further to my post above - you say that you only get the 'Uninstall' option when you insert the CD - you could select this option and it may even clear you Registry and all other files asociated. You are not going to do any more damage than you have done - the uninstall process may just halt and tell you that there are certain files missing.
I would never advise anyone to touch the Registry (even with the help of all the free Registry cleaners, doctors, etc), whose knowledge level is such that he/she deletes programs rather than uninstalls.

Pro Member Captain

I tried uninstalling it but it didn't work Crying or Very sad the PC still thinks that the program is still on the drive.

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

Have you tried calling customer support?

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

I'm no PC expert but what about a SYSTEM RESTORE from the TOOLS option in the HELP & SUPPORT page from the Windows XP menu.

You should be able to send your PC through a timewarp, back to a time (ie.. the previous day) before the programme was deleted.

This Windows XP facility has saved my bacon on a number of occasions. 😉

We all may be making assumptions that are incorrect -
Are you using Windows XP Home?
What was the program?
Was the program installed in the Program files folder?
What did you actually delete?

Pro Member Captain

I deleted the file a while ago but their are few other tricks up my sleeve thanks to GPS kid. I'll give all your methods a try and see if their is any luck if not I'll come back to you and ask if their is any otherway to fix my problem. Thanks for the help so far 😀

Pro Member Captain

Nope none of the methods worked.

The program was Battlefield Vietnam [ I have a keen interest with almost anything that had to do with the Vietnam war ]

I installed the program into "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield Vietnam"

I deleted all the contents with in the folder [By mistake]. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

You should always use the uninstaller to remove programs
Whats happened is that the registry entries are still there
Do you have any sort of registry tools,ie Norton has one with System Works
Or try one of the limited free D/loads of a registry cleaner( try www.download.com )

The only other way is by hand 😳 which will be v e r y s l o w

Pro Member Trainee
mickwill Trainee

Hello!

Try using this program called Crap Cleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

This will remove temp files, program pointers and redundant stuff from you registry. If your running WIN XP turn OFF the system restore thingy.

Cheers

Mick

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...