GPS vs. Radio Navigation

crosscheck9 Guest

In Commercial airlines, when would a pilot navigate using GPS vs. tracking VOR's/NDB's.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

In commercial airliners almost all of them use a FMC or FMS (flight management computer or system) and you put al of you data in them and it will fly the plane for you. If you get PMDG 737 or the LDS 767 them have them in them. Pilots would barely use VOR tracking as the FMC would do that for them.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

In order to use the FMC as primary means of navigation, you MUST have another way to navigate. This could be an INS, GPS integrated system, etc.

You'd still tune in the Navaid to ensure what you have in the FMS is accurate. As they say "Garbage in, garbage out."

Don Wood Guest

FS9 spoils us. All you have to do is plug in a GPS and away you go. Not true in a lot of real airplanes (mine included). Both for weight and cost reasons, there are many light aircraft not equipped with GPS so the answer to your question about when I would use VOR's as opposed to GPS is: Always!

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Don Wood wrote:

FS9 spoils us. All you have to do is plug in a GPS and away you go. Not true in a lot of real airplanes (mine included). Both for weight and cost reasons, there are many light aircraft not equipped with GPS so the answer to your question about when I would use VOR's as opposed to GPS is: Always!

I agree with you. I always use VOR's and NDB's. The GPS makes it too easy, plus using the Navaids gives you more to do on a flight. 🙂

spuddi Guest

yeah, I almost never use the GPS on the flight sim. I've got the 1:500000 uk charts so I use them if i'm in the UK.
If i'm flying abroad I'll make a note of the vor fregs, distances and headings on a scrap of paper and then use that for the flight.

if i'm in the PSSa340 i'll use the FMC.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

If you want to fly IFR, look into getting some High charts for the area you fly in.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...