can autopilot land the aircraft for you?

KU Guest

sorry just me being curious and in-educated in the subject of flight sims

Answers 30 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

No problem 😉

Yes, modern aircraft can land themselves via autopilot by using autoland. This feature is normally only used when compulsory i.e. extremely low visibility, otherwise the AP is disengaged at around 1000 feet. You can't do it in the sim with the default planes and panels unfortunately 😉

99jolegg wrote:

No problem 😉

Yes, modern aircraft can land themselves via autopilot by using autoland. This feature is normally only used when compulsory i.e. extremely low visibility, otherwise the AP is disengaged at around 1000 feet. You can't do it in the sim with the default planes and panels unfortunately 😉

ah i get you, but is there any way i could have autopilot lining me up with the runway? thats always been pretty tricky for me

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeh here are some guides on an ILS approach:

A
1. ATC should give you a long clearance for an approach when you are roughly 30-50 miles away from them. Note this is for IFR so you obviously need to be tuned into ATC etc and the airport you are landing at.

2. Go to the map and double click on a runway that has a green feather pointing in the direction of the approach. (If you do not see any ILS feathers, then make sure you have selected them at the top of the map). Once you have double clicked on the runway, a list will appear, with the frequencies for COMM (i.e. clearance, ground, tower etc) and NAV (i.e. ILS approach frequencies) as well as ILS headings and the elevation of the airport. You will be given a runway to land on in point one when they give you clearance. Find the ILS frequency next to that number. For example, ATC tells you to land on runway 9L at EGLL, so on the map you find the ILS frequency (110.30). Also find the ILS heading and remember that as well as the frequency.

3. Open up the radio stack and type this into NAV1 and make sure it is in the primary position, meaning it is on the left as opposed to the right of the two dials. This can be done by pressing the <---> button in the middle of them. At the bottom of the radio stack, there should be a row of clickable buttons, namely COM1, COM2, BOTH, NAV1, NAV2, ADF, DME etc. Click the NAV1 button as to illuminate the light. Then type the ILS heading into the course indicator probably on the AP panel. This means that the ILS is now set up, and you should begin to hear the Morse code identifier.

4. Now, once you approach the airport you must switch the toggle button of GPS/NAV to NAV. This is the only way the ILS will work, so make sure you have done this. Switching this toggle will enable the ILS to work, but will disable the GPS waypoints navigation. So if you are using AP then switch from one form (GPS) to the other form of navigation (NAV).
5. As you get closer to the airport, you will now be hearing the ILS Morse code identifier and you should be roughly on course, according to the HSI (but only if you have remembered to type the ILS course into the course selector). You will soon enter the glideslope pattern where you will need to slow down considerable to stay on it, about 180 MAXIMUM in a jet.

6. On the attitude indicator on the right and bottom side or similarly on the HSI, white indicator lines shall appear, with a pink triangle on both the vertical and horizontal set of lines. The big line in the middle is the centre of the approach and is the correct glideslope. If you are too high, the triangle on the vertical axis will be below the middle line and vice versa. If you are too far to the left, the line will appear to the right of the middle bigger line, indicating that you should turn to the right until it centers. To put it simply, fly towards the lines as to centre them.

7. Once you are roughly on approach and have been given permission to land you can use the autopilot. If you do not want to, then just carry on using the method above of centering the plane yourself and reducing speed and flaps etc. If however you do want to use autopilot then click the APP button, making sure the HDG button has disengaged itself and the toggle switch is on NAV. Deactivate the whole AP system at 500 feet. I hope this helps. Do not forget to lower speed in the approach and lower flaps and auto brakes/spoilers etc.

B
1. When ATC says something liek "WifeBeater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and mantain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockipt. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (thes are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list untill you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. FInd 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the righmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clickin it. Press the button that looks like thsi somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the LearJet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually Heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the directon and atitude of the pink arrows intull they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you wanna use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

I'll try and find Agus's one as well 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well, this is your first step. There are different approaches that you can make to a runway: ILS, VOR, NDB ADF, GPS, and visual approach. I'm going to talk about the ILS approach, since Fire_Emblem_Master's guide refers to it.

When you are approaching the airport and before you contact with the Tower, you can do two different things:

1. Use the App. mode in the autopilot, so the autopilot makes the approach for you and you don't have to move a finger. Well, actually you do have to move your fingers. You need to control the speed and flaps, landing gears, autobrakes, etc. But the approach is perfomed entirely by the autopilot. To land, just disengage the App. mode, switch off the Auto Throttle and other switches if you want, and land the plane manually. That's what I usually do. But is good practice to perform a hand-approach. But I also perform hand-approaches, which I'd recommend you to learn it. This point comes to the second option.
Note: To use the App. mode you should have to se the NAV/GPS switch to NAV and you also should have the ICAO code of the airport in your GPS.

2. Don't use the App. Mode and do the approach manually. I know this is hard but you just need to practice, practice, and practice.
Before approaching the airport, you should tune to the ILS frequency of the runway. That means, set the ICAO code of your destination airport, go to the frequencies page and find your ILS (or whatever approach you use) frequency. You should set the right frequency. Example: you are going to land on runway 09, look to the ILS 09 frequency.
After that, set that frequency into the radio stack and turn on the Nav 1 or 2. Also check the MRK (marker) button, which is going to make sounds when you pass through different markers, like OM, IM, and MM. Then, arm the spoilers, set the flaps, retract the landing gear and set the autobrakes.
After this, all you have to do is look at Fire_Emblem_Master's ILS guide. That would help you. Start turning towards the runway heading and try to have the glide slope and the localizer needles in the center. If you have both needles in the center you are right on the altitude and heading. Just keep this and land manually.

That's it. Was it easy? Complicated? Boring? Did you get tired reading all this? I know, it's long, but helpful.

^ Agus0404's version. Let us know how you get on with the approach

KU Guest

thank you so much for taking the time to help me 🙂

appretiate it

Pro Member Chief Captain

No problem 😉

crosscheck9 Guest

HEY!! If you don't have anything productive to say, don't say it -- BUDDY! Evil or Very Mad You're kind are not welcome on friendly forums such as this. And by the way, the "advice" you gave was insufficient, and just plain stupid. Sorry guys, I'm just a little ticked off, but hey, who wouldn't be when people like him/her decide to talk trash on such a successful forum. Rules Read the rules before you decide to post.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

[quote="Anonymous"I deleted the original Censored Radar idea: 😀[/quote]

First, there is no reason for name for name calling. Second, the heading is only one axis out of three. If you weren't aware of that, maybe the train simulator would be more your style.

The original poster asked a legitimate question and got a detailed answer. Your response didn't come anywhere close to being of value.

Dr. Bogger Guest

What jets have the autoland feature on the autopilot? And where can i download one?

I am going through the training on the FS2004 and i wanted to test out the autoland feature and watch the simulator do it, so I can maybe learn how to land a jet more better, cuz i kinda suck at it atm.

So, if anyone can point me to a download for a jet that has that feature that'd be great!

Thanks.
Sean

Pro Member Chief Captain

Try the PMDG website. They create modern jets like the PMDG 737 etc which feature the autoland. www.precisionmanuals.com

Dr. Bogger Guest

Do you know of any that are free?

The one you are talking about above costs $40.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Sorry I don't, but maybe someone else does 😞

Dr. Bogger Guest

Does anyone else here know of any jets that have the autoland feature, that are Freeware?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Dr. Bogger Guest

Wow, the autoland feature on that panel sucks. But, the panel is awsom, i love all the features it has, and the position of everything. But still, the autoland feature on it sucks.

I'm trying Trident jet and see if that works any better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Too bad, I hope the Trident is better.

Radar

Dr. Bogger Guest

The trident is too confusing for me to use, so im seeking something else to use.

You really should get the PMDG 737NG. It is simply amazing!

Dr. Bogger Guest

I would if i could afford it.

I'm disabled, and my income is very low, so i gatta save all i got for bills. not to mention, i dont have a job.

-------

Also, does anyone have any screen shots of the PMDG 737NG i can see? i want to see the panel mainly.

Dr. Bogger Guest

ok, i found the screen shots.... I didnt see the link at first.

Does anyone know of any other places that sell jets that have the autoland feature?

I'm looking for places that charge for it, not the free ones.

Thanks.

Dr. Bogger Guest

hmm... well, i'm still seaking a jet that has autoland feature, One that is accurate, unlike that panel for the 737.

Here is the problem i had with the 737-400 with the panel specified above.

Everything went swell, untill it came down to the ILS. I made sure i followed the directions for the panel on how to autoland it. But when it came to the VOR Neddle. it is trying to chases the VOR Neddle, insted of trying to intercept it. When it comes to the Decent on the ILS, the autopilot just plain sucks.

I tried doing it like 5 times, and the same thing happens everytime.

Can anyone confirm this, or is it just me having this problem? Is there any fix for it?

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Sean

bushman Guest

In reply to the query re freeware autoland David Maltby's VC 10 has
got one but I have not been able to engage it.But I have been able to
autoland by simply leaving the App on all the way! You are told not to
do this and to disengage someway out.I have autolanded the Beech Baron this way very succesfully on lots of flights.What you do is watch
all instruments carefully and note the changes.After that you are better
able to handfly down to the numbers.It is great practice.
A search on google should turn up the VC 10
Happy flying.

Usual disclaimer but nothing hasd gone wrong on my computer by using th
is method. Your responsibility!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Jon (99jolegg),
Does the PMDG B1900C have Autoland?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Erm I don't think so. The smaller aircraft don't normally tend to have autoland but I could be wrong.

😉

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

You don't really need the autoland, in my opinion. It's best to learn to land manuelly or with using other instruments. I wouldn't buy a software just because of one special feature that I want in it. If you are in an IFR flight, when you get close to the airport, they'll give you instructions on which altitude to descend and they'll line you up to the runway somehow. If the plane is not correctly lined up with the runway, or its not in sight.

Then open up your GPS (if not already open), and inless its a very small airport with small runways. You'll see some kind of green arrow pointing to the runways. You should know which runway is which buy looking at the map. All I do is follow these green arrow, get directly in the centre of them and start to decend as I see the runway, its very simple but to some people it may need some practice, but it's very easy. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

This is complicated

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52573

But that is real world procedurs and the defoult aircraft are not capable of performing complete autoland.Just go with what everyone else suggeted

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

The only pannel im awear of that has the Autopilot landing system is the greg737 panel.

its available on avsim i believe.

Boldpilot Guest

Some time ago I was frustrated by not being able to get info on auto landing aircraft .Then I saw an article which explained how to set up the aircraft for an ILS approach .The aircraft I used was a FS2004 default Boeing 737 which made a hands off landing until touch down . This is how.
Set the ILS of the airport in your NAV 1 radio .When you are nearing the airport approx 30 miles ,slow down to your landing speed ,with the auto-throttle , flight director, gear down, flaps set, also set your NAV/GPS to NAV When everything is stable at about 12 miles click APP on your auto-pilot. I did this procedure and the sat back and watched everything happen until touchdown when I disengaged the A/T and A/P and then applied reverse thrust. Worked for me anyway ,hope you are successful Boldpilot

Pro Member Trainee
omgttfs Trainee

(dead link removed)

The "737 experience" is pretty good. It's probably the aircraft that I fly most.

Air-Head Guest

BoldPilot, the method your describing is for something called a "coupled approach" using the APP button on the A/P.

You should be really disengaging that at about 500 feet, and hand landing.
The reason for this is that the 'APP' does not flare the airplane before touchdown. Nor does it perfectly align with the centreline as the true Autoland feature does.

But in terms of capturing the glideslope and bringing you down to decision height (the last 500 or so feet) its perfect. So it does kinda work like an autoland. But in the strictest sense, it isnt truly Autoland as in the A/P Feature installed on some planes.

There is a great "walk-thru" on here somewhere about how to do it all.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...