Something strange...

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I was coming in to land at orlando and they have a runway for ILS and yet they told me to land on runway 36L and this was a visual landing at night and when I got lower I noticed it was raining hard so I couldn't see. By the time I saw the runway I was way to high and was to far left of the runway. ATC kept telling me turn right heading 360 yet my heading was 360 already. Then I tried turning the plane a bit and i had the joystick all the way to the right and the plane slowely tilted right but stoped after a small tilt. What exactly happened here that stopped me from controling the plane and why did they have me do a visual landing at night in the rain when they have aother runway that they could have sent me to?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
WarpzoneM Trainee

If you couldn't turn you may have had the auto pilot on.

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

The auto pilot was off cause i could raise the nose and lower the speed and everything just not able to turn.

CoasterXtreme wrote:

I was coming in to land at orlando and they have a runway for ILS and yet they told me to land on runway 36L and this was a visual landing at night and when I got lower I noticed it was raining hard so I couldn't see.

They often won't give you an ILS runway if you haven't filed an IFR flight plan-- they give you the active runway, whatever it is.

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I set the flight up to be an IFR flight though...

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

It does sound like the autopilot was on, and in the default sim planes when you hit autopilot it automatically enables the level flight mode, while still giving freedom to the other axis.

Although it could've just been a fluke. I was flying an A320 into chicago once and lost total horizontal control as well, and apparently for no good reason =).

As far as the ATC is concerned, sometimes the default ATC really does just do things like that obliviously. You can usually request a different runway, but your best bet in that situation is to ignore them and fly your own approach!

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

What did ATIS have to say about the wind speed and direction? That is the main factor in the runway you are told to use.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I had a similar incidenet when landing into Gatwick a few weeks ago. One thing I do rember is that it always happened when ever I turned the AP off.

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Could be the weather, dont u think ❓ , some times it hapens, i get thought that to 😳 .

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

But the main thing is how do I do a visual landing in a boeing 757 if i can't see the ground too well and I am at 2,000ft.?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Crosswinds. You also need to use your judgement and go around and request ILS landing if you can't see at minimums, much less at 2,000 feet

Probably x-wind effect as already said. ATC can't see the direction your nose is pointed, only the direction you are traveling. With a strong x-wind you have to adjust your heading to compensate for the wind effect which means your compass heading (direction the nose is pointing) would be different to the direction your aircraft is moving (course).

Another one of those complicated rough and ready rules of thumb - sorry.

You would use these numbers as a guide then make small +/- adjustments to the wind-drift correction to stay on course.

Add = wind from the right
Minus = wind from the left

Wind heading 0-5 degrees off intended heading add/minus 1/16 wind speed to intended heading

Wind heading 6-15 degrees off intended heading add/minus 1/8 wind speed to intended heading

Wind heading 16-30 degrees off intended heading add/minus 1/4 wind speed to given heading

Wind heading 31-45 degrees off intended heading add/minus 1/3 wind speed to intended heading

Wind heading 46-60 degrees off intended heading add/minus 1/2 wind speed to intended heading

Wind heading 61-75 degrees off intended heading add/minus 2/3 wind speed to intedned heading

Wind heading 76-90 degrees off intended heading add/minus 3/4 wind speed to intended heading

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...