Reboots

Redders Guest

Hi

I am new to FS2004 and enjoying it a great deal apart from one really annoying thing. The PC randomly reboots itself, it seems to be when I move the mouse, either in the menus when selecting the flight/aircraft or when in-flight and moving mouse to click on map/gps etc...

However the game works perfectly on my laptop!

My PC is:
XP2000
MS XP home
Asus a7n266-vm (Nforce 1 chipset)
512mb ram
Radeon 9600 pro

I have all the latest drivers installed for mobo and graphics and windows is up to date. Update 9.1 is also installed for fs2004.

Any help would be appreciated before i throw the pc out the window Twisted Evil

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

First check to see if all fans are dust free. Try this ➡

Speed Fan

What this programme is moniter your CPU & Mobo temps as one of these are could be over heating.

What was the last thing you installed. Uninstall this programme as this could be causing conflicts ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did it just start or has it been doing it since it was loaded.
Does it do it on all aircraft or just a few.
Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

The problem you describe is the same problem I had and was unable to resolve for a long time. What I am going to tell you is a last resort, if you are unable to cure the problem then you might try it.

I don't think it had anything to do with the mouse but the game would just randomly reboot. I reloaded the game several times and tried everything I could find to cure the problem with no success.

I have XP installed on my computer and that was what I was running FS22004 on and having all the problems with.

My solution was this. I partitioned my hard drive and installed XP on one partition and Windows98 on the other partition. I loaded FS2004 on the Windows98 partition and it runs perfectly. In fact I am now able to turn all my display settings up to full and still get decent frame rates. That is something I was never able to do under XP. Not even close.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Did it just start or has it been doing it since it was loaded.
Does it do it on all aircraft or just a few.
Radar

When this happened to me it seemed OK in the beginning but then started rebooting and getting progressively worse about it, even after a reinstallation.

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I am tempted to think it is an overheating problem now. I tested my pc by running seti@home for about 10 mins, and it rebooted itself. I have asusprobe monitoring the hardware, the temps during heavy load are around 62c CPU and 45c for the mobo. The situation is probably not helped by this warm weather. 😀

I will try cleaning the CPU fan out over the weekend and re seating it with artic silver. The fan will be a pig to clean, it is one of those jet engine style ones. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try putting a fan in the rear on the grid, they're inexpensive and do a great job getting rid of the hot air.
I added one of those and a PCI fan, it did an excellent job cooling down my computer

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

When this happened to me it seemed OK in the beginning

I should explain that statement. When I first installed FS2004 I had a Diamond Stealth video card that was totally unsuitable to run FS2004, but it did not crash. I was lucky to get 10 FPS with it with the display settings set to low.

I installed the ATI Radeon 9200 video card and that was when it started crashing, even with updated drivers. Even considering it doesn't crash under Windows98 the ability to turn the display setting up all the way makes the flight sim so much more pleasant to fly. I also have went from 800X600X16 to 1024X 728X16.

All things said FS2004 is just a much better program for me running under Windows98.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...