Abacus or Wilco A380?

Pro Member First Officer
robbier First Officer

Hi guys! anyway, i am wanting to get an A380 for FS2004. is the Abacus A380 or the Wilco A380 more worth it?

thanks,
robbier

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I have heard bad things about both. In the end I guess it's too soon maybe to buy an A380. If you absolutely want to, check them both out and decide. I heard the Abacus is ok, but the Wilco is way more detailed. On the other hand, I heard the Wilco flies like crap. Of course they released some patches, but still... hope it helps.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I got the Wilco 380 and trust me those guys know how to sell a Censored product.It's and absolute waste.

The abacus A380 has seriously bad cockpit [ the featured weather radar doesn't work].It's Virtual cabin is worse than that of Wilco's [although it does have an upstairs+downstairs] one and dosen't have wing views.

The Wilco A380 has an ok cockpit but it comes with an incorrect MCDU and radio stack that isn't realistic. The virtual cabin is photorealistic but it doesn't have any wingviews, upstairs and animations. It's pretty disapointing.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Well, there you go. Neither, I'd recommend...

Pro Member Trainee
cpt_pickard Trainee

I have bought the Abacus thing and it is really crappy. The 3D model of the plane is OK, however there are several issues that make it worthless.

1) Abacus says it has "Flight Management Computer (FMC) similar to what is found in the real thing". Forget about it. 😂 The advertised FMC was why I have bought it. This so-called FMC is just a different panel to operate the default GPS. It has no functionality essential to FMC, it does not fly procedures, no SID's no STAR's, no holds, nothing. It can only load a flight plan you have created in the flight planner and fly the autopilot along the route. Well, isn't that exactly what the default GPS does? So WTF?

2) Has anybody from Abacus ever heard anything about flying Airbuses? Hey, come on... it is NOT a Boeing. IT has a fly by wire... hell, it has autotrim. Not this Abacus model. Still I was wondering what was wrong... bang... you need to TRIM the plane!!!! Airbus!!! Get out.
This point is not to argue if Boeing or Airbus is better or worse or whatever. This point is to describe a serious flaw in implementation of an Airbus aircraft.

3) The cockpit is utterly ugly. What a shame! Such a beautiful plane! Especially the resemblance of the flight stick someho brings the memories of the good old Atari 😂

4) The flight characterstics are somewhat weird. The engines are weak. IT was a big deal to climb to FL150. Reaching the normal cruise level would be like climbing an Everest. If you need to cruise in level flight you need to operate the engines at approx 95% of the thrust. Ever seen a jet like that? Me not.

5) There is a big flaw in the flight characteristics when it comes to low speeds. If you need to fly level and maintain the altitude at lower speed, you compensate by raising the angle of attack. (You pitch up). As you deccelerate, you pitch up more and in the moment when a stall would occur (or before) you apply flaps which generate extra lift and allow you to fly at a lower speed with sufficient lift to hold the altitude. This "Airbus" however has a speed range around 220 KIAS where the wings do not generate enough lift to hold the altitude, neccessary compensation by pitching up would result in a stall BUT you cannot apply flaps because you are over flaps extension max speed. Therefore around 220 KIAS you will allways lose altitude untill you slow down enough to apply flaps at around 180KIAS where you can somehow fly straight again. Funny at approaches.

don't buy it

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

well yes both are utterly shite, but abacus have actually produced one reasonable aircraft in the lockheed constellation - it's not worth £12, but it is pretty nice.

(not important, just thought i'd never say it)

😂

PeteG Guest

I'm new to all this flight sim stuff. Well, actually I was into it a couple of years ago, but have just started again with it. Anyway, i just bought the Abacus A380 add on for the FS2004 and unless I am really missing something really obvious, I can't get find out how to actually view the virtual cabin. The rest is all OK.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

PeteG wrote:

I'm new to all this flight sim stuff. Well, actually I was into it a couple of years ago, but have just started again with it. Anyway, i just bought the Abacus A380 add on for the FS2004 and unless I am really missing something really obvious, I can't get find out how to actually view the virtual cabin. The rest is all OK.
Thanks

I don't have it but I seem to remember reading that you'll need Active Camera, in addition to the program you have to view the virtual cabin.

peteG Guest

CRJCapt wrote:

PeteG wrote:

Thanks

I don't have it but I seem to remember reading that you'll need Active Camera, in addition to the program you have to view the virtual cabin.

You're right, I downloaded the trial version & it works now. Thanks

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Perfect's Flights Fly the Airbus A380 is ok with a decent cockpit and animated cabins(never saw the cabins in my sim cause I don't have active camera). However, it burns alot of fuel at crusing and has a fuel capacity the same as the 747. You can change all of this in the aircraft.cfg. Just watch out for the center of gravity not to be in the front or back otherwise the plane can't takeoff or it'll flip over on its back soon as the game loads up.

One thing that got me to buy it is that Perfect Flight's A380 has 60 real-world liveries including EVA Air. Also, there's copilot's can do checklists and you hear 80knts, v1, rotate, v2 on takeoff.
2500, 1000, 500, 400, 300, 200, minimums, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20 on landing.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...