Thinking of going w/LCD monitor

Pro Member Trainee
tubeamp Trainee

Have heard some newer LCD's have Greatly improved as far as Gaming. Is this true, anyone using a LCD for FS9. I personally would like 19' LCD. Using a 17'' CRT now but if I have to I will go to a 19'' CRT. Thanks for any feedback !!!!

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I use an old NEC 15 inch LCD and I wouldn't go back for anything. Take up less space, no noise coming from it, no radiation, really much better for the eyes... no comparison.

Pro Member Trainee
roger123 Trainee

I have been using a Phillps 170 17" monitor for the last six months. I am very satisfied with it and would not go back to the to the old system.

The compactness and space saving is a bonus for a start. I would not recommend using one with built in speakers though.
Regards
🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Have heard some newer LCD's have Greatly improved as far as Gaming. Is this true

It is true, but:

A top quality CRT will still outperform even the best LCD display available with ease. It is impossible to obtain a true black with an LCD. although areas may appear black to the untrained, there is always light leakage through the blocked pixels of an LCD screen The best contrast ratios obtainable with an LCD are under 1000:1 A CRT is capable of contrast ratios in excess of 30,000:1.

A CRT is capable of a much wider gradation of color spectrum than an LCD display, since the color brightness can be modulated for each pixel (Z Axis Modulation), this is not possible with the back light of an LCD display, which must remain constant over the entire image area. Finer focus is possible with a CRT, since the minimum feature possible with an LCD display is the pre-determined area of each LCD segment. This is why LCD displays are subject to jaggies and granularity.

The only areas of superiority for LCD's are power consumption, heat generation, weight, footprint, and as Bindolof mentioned they are easier on the eyes.
Basically, for what you would pay for a cheapo LCD, you could get a high quality CRT.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I have always had CRT but the size thing was becoming an issue for me.

I got a Samsung Syncmaster 19" display with 12 ms response time

It seems very good and it wasn't too expensive as these things go, several of my friends use them.

To be honest, most the time you can't notice ( i use my pc for gaming every day) you occaisionally see some odd behaviour on shadows etc but its good to play games on

if you're gonna get a flat screen for gaming, just make sure you get as low a response time as possible.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

No LCD for me.....I love my 22" Mitsubishi CRT-Flat with Diamondtron. (Black). I would not trade it for any LCD.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

astrosteve wrote:

No LCD for me.....I love my 22" Mitsubishi CRT-Flat with Diamondtron. (Black). I would not trade it for any LCD.

I have the exact same monitor, and it is very good. I upgraded from Gateway and it was worth it.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
tubeamp Trainee

Thanks Guys !!! "Insight" for the Price I have heard excellent things about the Samsung 19'' 915 flat panel monitor !!! I think I will buy one and see for myself. I have a 17'' HP CRT now That I plan on keeping no matter what !! It is a super sharp monitor!! It appears the price went up on the Samsung's .... when I was shopping a couple monts ago they were $280 now over $300

Guest Ed Guest

The new PC Gamers magazine hardware buyer's guide has reviews of LCD monitors. There were a few they liked a lot, others they didn't like at all.

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...