Computer restarting?

Well my computer likes to shutdown by itself and start again with out me doing anithing it reboots by itself, this has happened to me the last days and i dont know what is going on if someone can help me please??

Thanks

Answers 28 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well this can be caused for a few reasons.

Tell us when it restarts...When you run FS?anytime?When you use a specific programm?Have you recently add a new hardware device?

Maybe also you are inficted of spams or virus... 🤔

Be more specific and give us the specs in order to help you more 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Guest,

As Greekman72 states we need a lot more information than this. Please identify yourself that would be a good start. Then give us some stats on your machine etc...

If it is sim related I have found that when you install on a machine it usally the graphics card that needs to be reinstalled and the drivers updated.

SO get back to us when you have your stuff together.

Regards,

Well it has happended 3 times 1 using Flight Simulator the second time i was watching a video and the third in the net. My PC is an AMD ATHLON 2800+ VideoCard is an ATI Radeon 9700+ and i have an Audigy for sound, but everithing is working fine 😕. I will download Spy Sweeper to see if it founds something.

The drivers for the Audigy were downloade from the net, not installed from the CD, i dont know if this may be the problem? Thanks for your fast replies!!

Marcelo

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Guest,

Your soundcard may be the culprit believe it or not. Do a diaxg with directx. It will or hopefully get you pointed in the correct direction with problems on your machine. Go into run and type "diaxg" and start the DirectX system scan. Do the tests. The recommended settings for the soundcard would be normal acceleration.

Regards,

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

edr1073 wrote:

Guest,

Your soundcard may be the culprit believe it or not. Do a diaxg with directx. It will or hopefully get you pointed in the correct direction with problems on your machine. Go into run and type "diaxg" and start the DirectX system scan. Do the tests. The recommended settings for the soundcard would be normal acceleration.

Regards,

Follow Eds right instructions and also scan your machine for spams and viruses...Did you get blue screen before restarts?
You can also restore you computer(if you use XP and if you have a recently one)

Let us know the results.

Ok i went to DirectX then to Direct X diagnostic, then to sound and to Direct characteristics and my sound was in Total, so i change it to Standard or normal. Will se what happens... Should i do something else?

Marelo

Well i run Spy Sweeper and it didnt found spam and also run Norton and no viruses thanks god! The computer doesent shows a blue screen when it restarts it does the same thing as if i restart it with the CPU button. Greek what do you mean to restore the computer?

Again thanks for your help guys!!

Marcelo

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

There is an option of windows XP which you can assign a date for restoring your system in case of a programm corruption or in some problems like this you already have.It hasntt always success and this because it depends of the kind of your problem(If its a hardware problem for example),but in most of cases its a good solution.

To create a restore point you click start/ all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

In the wizard you will see click ''Restore my computer to an earlier time'' if you want to restore it or ''Create a restore point'' if you want to assign a new date.

WARNING ❗

Dont create a restore point now cause you are in trouble and also if you havent assign a recently date of restore point dont restore it.Be sure that you have fix your problem and then create a restore point.

Thanks for you help!! Well I will se if my problem continues i hope not.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Mine does the same thing. So I've been running it in safe mode.

How do i run it in safe mode??

Marcelo

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

If other people have this problem it could be this:
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=135491

I ran the program recomended and it found 54 viruses 😳 😕 but they cant be removed?? In the other side, Norton says i dont have any virus and Spy Sweeper says i have no SPAM wow this is wierd....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Run this and see how you do. MS will ask you to take a small ActiveX download, it's ok.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

Radar

Radarman thanks for your post!, well i run that program and it didnt found any infection!

Open the case, clean all the dust off the fans.
Take special care cleaning the heatsink (CPU) fan.
Get a case fan ($10) and put it in the rear of your machine (hot air out).

Clean out your old video drivers and reinstall new ones, they do become corrupted.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That was me Radar, I forgot to loggin. Embarassed

Radar

Ok i will do that, at least it hasent reboot anymore!
Again thanks for you help and for the fast replies!!

Marcelo

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I ran the program recomended and it found 54 viruses 😳 😕 but they cant be removed?? In the other side, Norton says i dont have any virus and Spy Sweeper says i have no SPAM wow this is wierd....

I ll sugest also a hard solution!!!

Back up your necesary files and format your drive.Install only the programms you oftenly use and get rid of the useless ones.
Install an antivirus,an antispam,and a registry cleaner program.This compination is the minimum defence to internets infictions.Try to avoid downloading staff from sites that are not safe.Clean your cookies every day(from internet options menu).Run disk clean up at least 1-2 times per week.Check you start up menu and disable all the unecessary programs that runs with no meaning(you could manage it with some safe programms and easy to use programms like ''advanced uninstaller'' for example)

This is my opinion to clean your system and keep it in a good condition.
I repeat...my opinion. ❗

Antivirus:Norton,Mc Caffe,Panta

Antispam:
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tag=srch&nid=1&qt=spybot&tg=dl-20&search.x=21&search.y=10

Registry cleaner and more:
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Start up manager and Programs cleaner:
(You can easily get a registration code by sending an e-amil to them.Its safe)

Also check this topic which Captain RadarMan kindly suggests some very useful programs:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8862/spyware-adware-remover/

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Im not a fan of Norton,overpriced bloatware Puke Up that just does not do the job it is supposed to

1st up, make sure your system is clean
Try any(or all) of these free online scans ➡

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

If they find anything,let them clean it
Next get your self a better A/V program

AVG is good ➡

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

TTT recommends Avast.It updates daily(sometimes more) is a small d/load,and does not eat away at your PCs resources ➡

http://www.avast.com/index.html

Good luck 😉

Wow thanks for all those links and for your help!!!

Marcelo

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew Davidson (ajdavidsome) Trainee

my computer also does the same thing but for flight simulator X.

I have only reinstalled my computer today as i changed my hardware.

New Configuration:
Core 2 DUO E6400
2GB RAM
Geforce 7100GS Graphics card
Realtek ALC883 Sound card (onboard)
120GB HDD (80GB available)
GA-965P-S3 motherboard

Old Configuration:
AMD Athlon 2400+
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
(Cant remeber sound card type)
Same HDD.

I couldn't possibly have a virus as i have only just finished reinstalling windows XP Pro with SP2. also installed McAfee antivirus and updated it.

On my previous configuration i had no problems, i wasn't able to up all the graphics settings though about medium, medium-high for the settings, and only flew around Sydney taking off from Kingsford Smith Intl airport.

On my new configuration i did the same with no problems had all settings on MAX. I decided to do a new York fly around to test my new comp as i have heard that the New York fly around takes alot out of the system, was smooth and no problems but when i came back around for an approach to Kennedy Intl the computer just restarted. It was like it was loading new scenery as it froze for a few seconds (like it has done before just before updating scenery files), then it restrated and i was back at the system startup. There was no blue screen or anything like that just the few seconds freeze, then the restart.

Could it be something to do with the graphics card. I have updated to the most recent drivers Nvidia 93.71 forceware.
Have also updated the motherboard drivers.
Have also run the dxdiag test and there are no problems.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

ajdavidsome wrote:

my computer also does the same thing but for flight simulator X.

I have only reinstalled my computer today as i changed my hardware.

New Configuration:
Core 2 DUO E6400
2GB RAM
Geforce 7100GS Graphics card
Realtek ALC883 Sound card (onboard)
120GB HDD (80GB available)
GA-965P-S3 motherboard

Old Configuration:
AMD Athlon 2400+
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
(Cant remeber sound card type)
Same HDD.

I couldn't possibly have a virus as i have only just finished reinstalling windows XP Pro with SP2. also installed McAfee antivirus and updated it.

On my previous configuration i had no problems, i wasn't able to up all the graphics settings though about medium, medium-high for the settings, and only flew around Sydney taking off from Kingsford Smith Intl airport.

On my new configuration i did the same with no problems had all settings on MAX. I decided to do a new York fly around to test my new comp as i have heard that the New York fly around takes alot out of the system, was smooth and no problems but when i came back around for an approach to Kennedy Intl the computer just restarted. It was like it was loading new scenery as it froze for a few seconds (like it has done before just before updating scenery files), then it restrated and i was back at the system startup. There was no blue screen or anything like that just the few seconds freeze, then the restart.

Could it be something to do with the graphics card. I have updated to the most recent drivers Nvidia 93.71 forceware.
Have also updated the motherboard drivers.
Have also run the dxdiag test and there are no problems.

Download new drivers, then try cleaning out the old drivers , delete the card in the device manager/reboot and install the new drivers after you disable the anti virus.After they are loaded enable the AV again.
Try a different airport, the other might have a scenery bug.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Thanks for the reply.
I tried doing this as you said above, i found that there was actually an update i missed for my Relatek Sound card and updated both it and the nvidia driver as you staed above with the anti virus off.
I have also been playing Civilization 4 and on a new game it works fine until you start to spread out and there is more things to do, i suppose it's a bit like sim city regarding comp requirements, and when i have advanced and into the game it does the same thing the computer just restarts, although after i did what you said to do Civilization 4 hasn't done it again, and i was like oh good it's fixed, but i then decided to try the New Yoirk fly around again with flight sim X in a different direction and this time instead of just freezing for a few seconds then restrating it froze and the sound card seemed to freeze as well and there was this buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but it didn't restart like previous times, i had to actually restart the comp myself as i couldn't close the game down or get back to my desktop or anything.
I don't have any compatible equip to test as my old system used a AGP card DDR 1 memory.
But am starting to think it may be the cheapo graphics card, it has a turbo cache and i am thinking maybe that has something to do with it and was wondering if you know if there is a way to turn the turbo cashe off so i can see if that makes a difference without it.
Also it may be the power supply on my old power supply it only had a 20 pin plug so i had to get an adapter to make it a 24 pin plug, the power supply is a 350W.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I can't see how you can run a Core 2 Duo with a 350w p/s, you need double that and it has to be a top brand not a cheap generic.
If you are having that many driver problems I would do a clean install of Windows, update it fully, get all new drivers and reinstall.

If you can get a better card do it.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

I can't see how you can run a Core 2 Duo with a 350w p/s, you need double that and it has to be a top brand not a cheap generic.
If you are having that many driver problems I would do a clean install of Windows, update it fully, get all new drivers and reinstall.

If you can get a better card do it.

Radar

Yeah i know i need to do some more upgrades. 😂

I actually ran a memory test as i have 2 x 1GB RAM, running dual channel. the test failed on almost 40 - 50% of the tests. When i run them seperately they are 100% OK both of them, i have tried switching them around etc but it always fails when both are on the Motherboard at the same time. they were not proper dual channel memory, but identical size, brand etc. I was using the correct slots you have to make sure they are using the same color slots on the motherboard to be effective. I tried DIMM1 and DIMM3 also DIMM2 and DIMM4.
like you said maybe it is to do with the power supply and it just cant handle having 2 RAM running dual channel only 1 at a time. also because of the CPU.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Good place to run a free diagnostic, www.pcpitstop.com very trustworthy.
Want to test your ram, www.crucial.com .
Also go to /start/run/type in "dxdiag"/ and see how your computer tests out.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...