Moving my Starship tonight to prepare for Hurricane Wilma

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Hello Everyone - (Virtual Scenario Only)

I am going to be moving my Beechcraft Starship tonight. The plane is at OPF (Opa-Locka Airport Miami,FL) to KCHS (Charlston,SC). I have family there. It's about a 700 mile trip. It should not take very long with a Starship, but I have only made a few night landings. Any suggestions when I am on final ? Conditions in Charleston should be just fine.

Truthfully (Non Virtual) things are getting pretty crazy around here with Hurricane Wilma coming. I better fly tonight, I doubt I will be for a while if she hits us!

Fear 🤔 Surrender

Take Care

AstroSteve

Answers 21 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

As I don't fly real yet,all I can do is wish you good luck.I'm amazed you have a real Starship.

Pro Member First Officer

I don't have a REAL starship! It's a virtual flight! Wish me luck!!!!!

AstroSteve

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Then I wish you virtual luck. I will be flying the area later today since I want to test ActiveSky. To quote a recent Harry Potter movie, "It's gonna be a bumpy ride!"

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol

I have no idea what a starship is but I would say you should be fine flying in at night

I fly into Charles De Gaulles (spelling?) airport in Paris in my Spitfire at night once and was astonished at how well lit everything was!

Pro Member First Officer

Beechcraft Starship

Pro Member First Officer

I figure that I can fly at 25,000 feet and achieve around 325-340mph. Making this flight about 2hr. 20min. I think I will make my route from OPF over MCO then NE over JAX and up the coastline into CHS. Takeoff time will be a late one. I am looking for a 9:45 takeoff putting me in CHS just before midnight.

Cheers! 🍻 Read

AstroSteve

PS: Will take pictures.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

astrosteve,

How do you like how it handles??? I have flown virtually and it handes very well. Have a excellent vurtual flight tonight.

Regards,

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

Good Luck astrosteve...hold on tight

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

For those who wish to fly along with him you can get the Starship here. Only 427k.

http://www.pmstone.com/AircraftCorporate.htm

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

astrosteve wrote:

Hello Everyone - (Virtual Scenario Only)

Truthfully (Non Virtual) things are getting pretty crazy around here with Hurricane Wilma coming. I better fly tonight, I doubt I will be for a while if she hits us!

Fear 🤔 Surrender

Take Care

AstroSteve

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/145238.shtml?5day?large

11:00 EST, 175 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 207 mph.

This is a storm I wouldn't stay around for, I would take my reality body and get out of town. I live in Pensacola and stayed through Ivan and Dennis and they were bad enough. They were only CAT 3.

Err on the side of safety.

Pro Member First Officer

I love the power and feel of this aircraft. I have the one radar sent a link for. It's a great plane to fly. It's really responsive. Thanks for the warning Warhawk...it's not looking good. The most powerful storm ever recoreded in the Atlantic. The damn thing is a monster! I have a small feeling that the storm may *Fart out a little before she gets here. She will not be able to keep blowing that powerful for very long. I think she may hit us around a Cat.3 or 4. The wind bands spread out over 160 miles from the center of the eye. This means on it's current projected path I will get the backside of the storm bands with at least 70mph-120mph gusts. I live about 15 minutes from Fort Lauderdale,FL and 40 minutes from Miami,FL.

If you guys don't here from me after Friday I am gone! (Reality not Virtually)

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

They have adjusted the projected path a little more to the north. They did have it coming across south of lake Okeechobee, now they are projecting it coming right across the lake. I have the feeling it will come in farther north than they are projecting, but what do I know. You may get lucky, but I'm not sure I would take the chance with this one.

Their projections have a wide margin for error.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I just flew into Ft Lauderdale from Cozumel. As soon as I have a bite to eat and re-fuel, I'll go to OPF where I will wait to fly to KCHS real-time. If I can find a working payload model for the starship, I'll turn on FSP to record the flight. I guess, afterwards, we can all compare notes.

Good luck, AstroSteve and anyone else flying this route.

BTW, the starship handles quite nicely. Not surprising since Mike Stone's stuff usually flice nicely.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Crash,

You are a daring individual unaffraid to put yourself before or after a science experiment. My hat is off to you sir...!!!1 And good luck Crash.

Regards,

Pro Member Chief Captain

Virtual death does not scare me. Only the real version. 🙄

FWIW, I will also opt for FL250, and will take the following route.

KOPF/SURFN/MLB/OMN/CRG/MILIE/KCHS. I may start 15 minutes earlier. I am on the west coast and need to prepare dinner.

Pro Member First Officer

Glad to have you along Crash. Hey listen where do I find the command panel to record the flight in FS2004. I cannot find it anywhere?

"Thanks"

AstroSteve Horse

Pro Member Chief Captain

I don't know if we are referring to the same thing. I was talking about using FS Passengers, which provides a report regarding the flight and how badly I flew. 😉

I've never used anything else, but I believe there is a way to record a portion of your flight that can be accessed via the "alt" menu.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

astrosteve wrote:

Glad to have you along Crash. Hey listen where do I find the command panel to record the flight in FS2004. I cannot find it anywhere?

"Thanks"

AstroSteve Horse

If it's a video recording you are talking about it is in the menu at the top when you hit ALT. I think the best it will do is 4 fps, at least that's the option (max) it gives me.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I made it. After the 4th go around. That is the worst lit runway I have ever seen. And the 2nd, shorter runway looks like a different airport.

Anyone know how you slow the Starship down on descent? I had to resort to a stepped descent. Thought I was in the Soviet Air Force.

Pro Member First Officer

Hi Crash -

Just landed at 12:35am at CHS. I had a mechanical delay. I took an easier GPS route over the ocean. I took off at 10:40 and landed in record time at 12:30. I gotta tell ya' I was cruising at 380Kts. for most of the way at 25,000 feet. The Starship has incredible power and knew this so I backed off early on my approach. I don't know what runway KCHS guided you into, but runway 3 way mine assigned and well lit.... The shorter runway, but plenty long enough. I touched down with great ease. I am hoping to post some inflight screen shots.

Calm conditions. Tied her down and hope for the best in south Florida.

"Thank you!" What a fantastic flight and post!!!!

AstsoSteve

Pro Member Chief Captain

Glad you had a good flight.I started out with a default FS Passengers payload and forgot to uncheck the bloody box that says the a/c is unpressurized. Mad Other than that the flight was uneventful except for my crapppy landing attempts. Considering it was the first day I'd flown the plane and a night landing at an airport I was unfamiliar with, I won't on myself too much.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...