Daylight Saving Time

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

The US Congress, displaying its infinite capacity for stupidity, decided to change the dates for Daylight Saving Time starting in 2007. Does anyone have an idea how many computers will have to be upgraded due to this totally unnecessary law?

Come to think of it, why is DST needed at all?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I am pretty sure daylight savings time in the UK was introduced during the war... to get the most daylight working hours in a day - as black outs had to be maintained and working in factories at night was dangerous as the germans were chucking bombs at them all the time...dunno why you Americans have it though. and yes, thats a damned silly law 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I saw this article the other day about that.
http://encarta.msn.com/column_daylightsavingtime_marthahome/Daylight-Saving_Time_What's_the_Point.html

Radar

I read that article. I don't buy the "energy saving" argument, but even if true, then the only justification is that businesses are too lazy/stupid to adjust their hours and therefore mucking about with time is the only way to do it.

I lived in Arizona for 10 years where DST is not observed. Wonderful!

Now I have to convince my dog, who can't read a clock that it's too early to go for a walk. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't care for it either and to convince me that it is worth while will take a long time.
I collect clocks, one more thing to collect, what a job resetting them.
The only good part is knowing my computer, "atomic clocks", vcr, dvd, and cable box will reset themselves.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Actually, if the dates for DST change, your computer will not automatically know this.

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

Insight mentioned daylight saving time or 'double summer time' intoduced during/just after the war - this meant that it was still "daylight" at 11 o'clock at night and kids could still chase rabbits in the harvest fields way past their bedtime! They were the good old days? There was n't a problem with clocks on a PC, video etc (the world had n't "developed" yet 🙂 ) - just the grandfather clock in the hall and grandads gold fob watch (used only on Sundays 😂 )

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...