Elevator trim tabs

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

One nice feature in the C182 Nav Trainer is the digital readout of trim tab setting. I don't see any sort of calibration in the standard C172SP or 182 trim wheel. Is this typical in aircraft, that you set trim by "feel?"

Speaking of the Nav Trainer, I can't get engine rpm to come up anywhere near the 2700 rpm cited in the plane's performance chart. That chart seems to refer to the FS2002 version, is it possible there's a performance issue with the FS2004 version? This question, I suppose, should be in the aircraft section, but I thought as long as I'm here...

HL

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

The default Cessna 172 does have the take of position for the trim tab marked, but on older planes at least it was pretty much by feel.

Pro Member First Officer

I guess those hatch marks and small arrow on the wheel are meant to be the guides for trim setting. It doesn't seem all that helpful, but it must be better than nothing.

HL

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

When I set up for landing I make my power settings for approach and in order for the plane to fly level I have to retrim it which is very close to take off trim. I do this before I lower the flaps which will set the plane up for final approach speed and decent. At that point I use power to control my decent for landing.

The point is using this method I don't have to worry about take off trim, it is already set to the point it doesn't require any major adjustments if any.

This applies to GA aircraft, I don't fly jets. I'm sure there are jets that require a different technique and possibly bigger prop aircraft.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks War Chief. I'd forgotten the importance of using the throttle to control descent rate. I've definitely been fiddling too much with the stick.

HL

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Once I am on final I use very little stick input for pitch until I flare for touch down. Using the stick to control decent can create problems, if you have to pitch up you could stall and if you pitch down you increase your speed. Using power keeps the speed pretty constant.

Pro Member First Officer

The plane you regularly fly, does it have a similar wheel/arrow as the 172SP, and if so, are you able to get a good approximation of trim settings just using those guides?

HL[/quote]

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

No, I like flying the older planes like I flew in when I was a teen. I have a Cessna 150 (tail dragger), an Erocoupe, the upgraded J3 Cub, The Waco biplane and others I like to fly. None of which has the indicator quite like the Cessna 172.

But Like I said, once I set up for my landing I am set for take off trim. It isn't a problem for me.

Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

I find that elevator trim is a matter of feel. I have the up and down arrows assigned for my pitch trim and I just keep tapping them until the pressure is neuteral on my yoke. For bigger adjustments just hold the key down for a second or two and tap it until the plane flies level all by itself. Before takeoff I always look at the trim wheel to see that it is centered at 0 degrees trim unless I'm flying the Aeroworx B200 which requires about 6 or 7 degrees of up trim just to get off the ground.

You should be adjusting trim by feel. You have to make small adjustments. The best way to know if you're trimmed is to fly hands off and see how the plane behaves. You shouldn't be remembering that for approach you set the trim 1 inch down etc... It should all be by feel because the trim required changes with airspeed. By the way, the trim is only used to relieve pressure in the yoke. You should not use it often enough that you use it to control the attitude of the airplane. In the 172SP,
the arrow on the trim is the take off setting you should have, obviously, at every takeoff.
Happy flying,
Blake14

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

sorry that was me 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...