Hard to land.....

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I was coming in for a landing and I was told to stay at 5,000ft. the equipment said i was at 5,000ft too. Then I started decending and noticed the grounds was kind of close. So i went into spot plane view and noticed that I really wasn't at 5,000ft. Since the plane i was flying tells you when your at 500ft. and below it started telling me these messages yet my equipment said that I was at 1,000ft. It was very hard to land because I couldn't tell exactly how high i really was. Why did my equipment tell me the wrong information?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Reset the altimeter.
Hit the "B" on your keyboard once you are under 18000ft
Also listen to the airport weather info for altimeter settings

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Probably due to the fact that air pressure changes as does land height, to put it simply, press B I think it is to change pressure to current area. This is more obvious in places like Denver where ground level is at 5-6000 feet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Embarassed Sorry, didn't see that post 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

Your altimeter tells you your altitude above sea level, not above the ground.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Av8r77 wrote:

Your altimeter tells you your altitude above sea level, not above the ground.

Exactly! What airport were you flying into? The elevation of the airport could have been 4,000 feet MSL. That would mean that you would have been only 1,000 feet AGL.

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I was flying into Amarillo and since this is above sea level how can I tell this other information about the airport?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Click on the map icon and find the airport then click on it.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

The altimeter setting is the barometric pressure of the area you are currently in. Anytime you fly above 18,000 feet (in the United States) you reset your altimeter to 29.92, which is the pressure on a standard day at Sea Level.

MSL Altitude is Mean Sea Level, or the altitude that you are currently at when you set the altimeter to the local setting.

AGL- Is the altitude above a specified land mass, or "Above Ground Level"

Another term that you may hear is density altitude. All this refers to is the altitude taken in account for temperature and humidity. The higher the temperature, the higher the density altitude and therfore, the worse aircraft performance you will get.

As you increase altitude, the temperature and pressure goes down. The standard lapse rate for temperature is 2 degrees Celcius per 1,000 feet. This is why it's tremendously important to pay attention to the altimeter setting when you go from high altitude to low or from Hot to Cold. You will actually think that you are higher than you really are.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Fantastic!! I wish I knew the way to Amarillo. Then I could tell Tony Christie, who has been asking that question in the UK for the last 4 months.

CoasterXtreme wrote:

I was flying into Amarillo and since this is above sea level how can I tell this other information about the airport?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...