How to make an ILS landing?

igor.rant Guest

Hello!

I'm new in the world of the Fs2004!
Can somebody tell me, how I make an ILS Landing?

B.R.
I.R.

Answers 29 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
Topdawg044 Trainee

Thanks RadarMan - I've been going nuts trying to find navaid info

igor.rant Guest

Thanks! But can you say me, which autopilot I have to activate?

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

igor.rant wrote:

Thanks! But can you say me, which autopilot I have to activate?

You want to use the approch mode APP 🙂

igor.rant Guest

So I must just, give in the frequency, activate and push the button APP?

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

igor.rant wrote:

Yes
(1) NAV1 needs to be tuned to the frequency of the assigned runway
(2) Adujst VOR1 to the runway heading
(3) The NAV/GPS switch needs to be in NAV position
(4) the controler will give you a intercempt course and altitude to fly to pick up the beam (you can use autopilot HDG mode to steer that course)
(5) When you see movement on the needle you have intercepted the beam
(6) After intercepting the beam you need autopilot activated and switch to the APP aproach mode.

Happy landings 😀

igor.rant Guest

Thanks!!!!

I'll try to land now, and we'll see what happens!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Don't forget to disengage the autopilot. It won't land the plane for you! 😎

igor.rant Guest

Hello!

I've just tried to land the airplane whit an ILS approach!

The airplane stays on 3,000, but the heading's OK.

What have I done wrong?

Igor

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Which airplane are you attempting to land?

Which runway/airport?

What was your altitude and speed when you intercepted the Localizer?

Did you read the instructions in RadarMan's link?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

lkw wrote:

igor.rant wrote:

Yes
(1) NAV1 needs to be tuned to the frequency of the assigned runway
(2) Adujst VOR1 to the runway heading

Why do you have to adjust VOR1 to the runway heading?

igor.rant Guest

I would like to land a Boeing 737 at the Vienna airport (Runway 34)

Frequency 108.10, heading 342.

My altitude 3,000
My speed 230

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Michael_H wrote:

Which airplane are you attempting to land?

Which runway/airport?

What was your altitude and speed when you intercepted the Localizer?

Did you read the instructions in RadarMan's link?

God that girl in your avatar is sexy! What airline is that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Is there a flying lesson in FS regarding ILS Landing? I've been trying to ILS Land for almost a year now with no luck 😞

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

God that girl in your avatar is sexy! What airline is that?

That's SkyEurope

http://www.skyeurope.com/in.php

Igor,

Maybe try a flight with ATC controlling your approach. They will vector you in so you intercept the localizer at the correct altitude. Asually around 2000 ft.

Drop your speed to around 180 knots. When you have intercepted the localizer set your autopilot heading to 342 degrees.

Don't forget flap settings, landing gear .. 😳

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Thanks for that Michael, good advertising ploy for them Wink

By the way, I'm having a bit of a problem with ILS myself. What range from the airport do you have to be for ILS to work? I get permission to land about 12 miles out, I tune my radio to the ILS frequency but the lines stay the same for AGES, until I'm right up beside the airport. But by that stage I haven't time to get a good line with the runway! So am I doing something wrong? Or how do I get to the runway in the first place to begin ILS correctly? Thank you in advance!

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

1) ALWAYS intercept the glideslope from below (never from above). This means, be at around 2500 ft AGL 10nm out from the threshold. This is by no means an official rule (actually it's a pretty bad rule), but it serves to help for one or two landings until you get it.

2) Intercept the localizer 10+ nm out.

3) When you turn to intercept the localizer, be no more than 30 degrees off from the ILS track. This means, if the ILS track is 248, try making your last course (before you intercept the localizer) 280 or 210. If you are coming at a right angle, you will overshoot the runway needle and have to correct violently (and you will overshoot the other way again).

4) When you are established on the localizer do not correct violently. Don't chase the needles. Correct with small moves, gently.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Good luck 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

JTH,

Just to add to Bindolaf's good advice.

We are still talking about the 737 here I think.

Maybe try intercepting the localizer a bit farther out so you have time to get turned on to the runway heading..maybe around 16 to eighteen miles.
Keep your speed down to around 180

just so we are sure, in lkw's post above point no. (5)
he is talking about this:

Depending on which direction you are approaching from, the magenta pointer will start to move toward the center from one side or the other when you have intercepted the localizer..
Soon as that happens, start your turn onto the runway heading, either manually or with the AP.
At first it is very difficult to manage the descent to put you on the runway threshold accurately, so you might want to let the AP do it with APProach mode.
You will still have to manage your approach speed, flaps, landing gear, but it you get on the glideslope at the right altitude and speed it will take you down perfectly. As FEM mentioned, turn off the AP (say roughly at about a quarter of a mile from the runway) and manage the flare yourself..
At this point you should be roughly at 140 knots depending on fuel load and flap settings.

Pro Member Trainee
GWFlyer Trainee

You shouldn't have any trouble with this since the runway does have ILS. Just be sure you are approaching runway 34 and not 16. As you approach the runway, make sure of the following:

1. You are approaching the runway at about 2,600 feet (the elevation at Vienna is 600 feet).
2. Your NAV 1 setting is 108.10 (and you have activated it by clicking on the arrow (<--->) between settings.
3. Your "COURSE" on your dashboard should be set to 342.
4. Set your Flight Director "F/D" to "On".
5. When you are close enough to the airport, the pink line on your VOR 1 (see Michael's picture) will start to move. This lets you know that you are set the NAV 1 correctly and that you are intercepting the ILS.
5. When the pink line is near the center of your VOR 1 dial, click the "APP" button on your dash. The "APP" takes control of your 737 and will bring right down to the runway. Just remember to keep an eye on your speed and disengage the APP when you near the landing so you take control and put it down.

This should give you a nice ILS landing on runway 34 at Vienna. I hope. George

igor.rant Guest

Thanks everyone for help. I've now landed the 737. But now I would like to land the 747.

Can you say me, whats different to land an 747 instead of a 737?

Igor

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Chris102 wrote:

Is there a flying lesson in FS regarding ILS Landing? I've been trying to ILS Land for almost a year now with no luck 😞

Chris, seeing as how nobody has answered your question, I'll do the honors. As far as I know, there are no ILS flight lessons in FS, (to their disgrace). However, let me assure you, it's absolutely the easiest thing to master once you get it right. What seems to stump you with this? We'll be happy to help you out. If it's nothing very specific, just let me know, and I'll throw in an easy example for you to try out. 😉

igor.rant Guest

Can somebody answer my question, please!

necipilota Guest

Ja, ich weiß auch nicht wie man eine Boeing 747 landet. (ILS)

Kann uns das jemand erklären?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

igor.rant wrote:

Thanks everyone for help. I've now landed the 737. But now I would like to land the 747.

Can you say me, whats different to land an 747 instead of a 737?

Igor

The 747 is quite a lot harder to land than a 737. Firstly because it is fairly unforgiving. If you make a small mistake in a 737, one quick correction and you will be back on track, but in a 747 it is more likely that you will progress off course. The 747 is harder to control in terms of movement and speed. Try flying an approach without autopilot and you'll know what I mean 😉

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Thanks for all the help, it's definately been of benefit 😉

By the way, in real life do pilots use the AP to land jets like the 747/737, or do they do it manually?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

JTH wrote:

Thanks for all the help, it's definately been of benefit 😉

By the way, in real life do pilots use the AP to land jets like the 747/737, or do they do it manually?

If possible they will do it manually because it is a bit safer and wheres the fun in letting AP do it all for you! If weather conditions are bad, they will use Autoland; a feature that doesn't come with FS as standard.

Hope it helps 😉

igor.rant Guest

I heard that pilots get differnt food. Is that right?
If yes, why?

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Ok ill give you the low down on ILS,
You are at 3000 feet aproaching heathrow, you are not lined up.

1- ATC clears you for the ils approach to runway 27l, you tune the frequency for that runway,found on the world map(click on the airport and scroll down)
2- Put the frequency into the NAV1 and put it onto the active one.
3- Put the GPS/NAV switch to NAV, so that you intercept the ILS.
4- Fly the heading that ATC says.
5- Desend your flight to the level as instructed, once you have the ILS desend with it.Following ATC instructions
6- If you have the AP on pres the APP button, this makes the aircraft line it self up with the ILS.
7-You Have to control the altitude.
8-At 1500-1000 feet disengage the AP and your on your own 😀

Remember, the ILS indicators are reversed, so
Left- turn right
Right- turn left
Up- desend
down-climb

If you are to low level out at fly level waait for the ILS to come back to you.

Ive messed up!
Make sure youve got the right frequency.
Did you follow ATC instructions??

Ive been using the ILS on a BAe-146 and boeing 737-600 to 800, they are very simple to operate i suggest you practice on a 737, at heathrow airport.

Don Wood Guest

As I posted on the other thread that has the previous post on it, the information about ILS reverse indication is wrong. If you are landing on Rwy 27 using the Rwy 27 ILS published procedure, the indicators will not be reversed. They are reversed only on a back course approach (where you are using an ILS for a given runway but landing on the other end of that physical runway.

Regarding the earlier post on this thread which stated that you should always intercept the ILS from below the glide slope, that is good advice for FS9 because of a quirk in programming. It is terrible advice in a real world ILS approach, is physically dangerous, and, when taking a check ride, will cause you to fail the check. Pilots who value the skins of themselves and their passengers, never, ever, ever, descend below the glideslope, except in VFR conditions and then its still semi-stupid. The glide slope is there to keep us safe. Going lower than the glideslope on an approach makes you an instant test pilot.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...