PMDG 747 Recomendation

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Hello everyone. Well I am pretty sure I have came to my final decision. I really want to get the PMDG 747. I know that I haven't done any long haul flight in FS9. But they look good and I want to start. I'm going to get it now becasue I can't wait for the MD-11 to come out. But I'll get it once it does. So anyways, all you 747 owners how do you like it. It looks great and i've heard a lot of good things about it. I don't care paying 55 dollars for it. I paid 51 dollars for the CS C-130 and it was worth it. But the 747 looks better so I know it will be worth it. So plese tell me about the plane. Thanks.

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

It is a great plane. You'll find what you have to go through to navigate, more challenging than the C-130. But, if you are willing to learn what is necessary, it is very rewarding.

What I like best about the plane is that it flies so fluidly (if that makes sense). You can almost feel how much mass it has.

One other thing. Its v/c is the most frame-friendly of any of the big airliners.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

It's a great plane, but I found when trying to write a review of it for you, I couldn't really figure out where to start!

If you like to watch the plane when you fly it, you won't be disappointed. The exterior model is wonderful, and the VC really does put you right there without having to worry about computer performance.

If you're worried about the level of realism, you can still scale some of it down (i.e., IRS align time, fueling, failures, etc.). If you're worried it may not be realistic enough, then you shouldn't be concerned in the slightest! It is a very "thorough" model of the plane, right down to warning messages, FMC behavior, and just about everything you could think of. Even following checklists, every flight feels different, and it keeps your mind in the game throughout most of your long distance trips. I highly reccomend this plane!

Pro Member Captain

By the way, I definitly agree with Crash about "feeling the mass" of this plane. Most addon planes are fairly forgiving if you forget to drop a notch of flaps on approach as you're slowing or if you're late on retracting. This plane definitly taught me a lesson on my first flight about dropping them on schedule! I accidentally left them a notch higher than i should have on approach, set the speed, and just couldn't keep the plane afloat!

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Sounds good. Is there anywhere where they teach you how to fly it though? It sounds so complicated that I'd imagine it would need a manual of its own or something!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes, there are extensive manuals in PDF format. I wish they were available in HTML that I could display in FSBrowser in case I need to look something up while flying. I'm don't know if FSBrowser can display Adobe Acrobat documents.

Pro Member Captain

Yeah, and I couldn't imagine the cost to actually print the PDF out!! 😳
I did print out the checklist, but I cut the cost by double siding and using only 1/2 size sheets of paper 😉 .

Pro Member Chief Captain

Here's a solution. Copy the content(text) from the pdf to the clipboard. Open notepad and paste. Save it as plain text under a name that makes sense to you. Since all browser's display plain text, the contnet is available with FSBrowser or other in-flight browser.

Pro Member Captain

Wow, that's brilliant!

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Wow. Thanks a lot guys. Well I have their 737 and I am very familiar with the FMS in it so the navigation system in it should be a big challenge to me. So I am 99.9% psoitive that I will get it. I was highly considering the CS 707 but not anymore. So thanks everyone. I tell you how I like it whenever I get it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well, if you like their 737, I am certain you will love their 747.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Yes I think that too. I believe your opinions and what PMDG says. I've been a real loyal customer buying their whole 737 package and their Beech 1900D. So I can really trust that it will be as good if not better than thier previous products.

Pro Member Captain

You won't be sorry about choosing this over the 707 either. I've read in many reviews that the 707 is a bit of a framerate hog, whereas the 747 almost seems to give them back to you!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...