Simulated bush pilot lands plane inside Mt. St. Helens!

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

Hi,

I posted the following in a news group, and thought you might enjoy this bit of news:

TCP/IP News Service report:

Headline: Crazy simulated bush pilot lands her plane *inside* Mt. St.
Helens!

Melissa (aka "simulated bush pilot") defied FAA restricted air space
and successfully landed her wee Cessna 152 inside the hollowed out
remains of Mt. St. Helens in southern Washington state.

Apparently, while she did not - technically speaking - crash her
plane, some propeller or engine damage was sustained during the
slightly bumpy ride as she applied the brakes after touchdown. She
could not re-start her engine for takeoff.

Last we heard, she was wandering around the crater trying to find the
"sweet spot" for her cell phone so she could call "AAA" for a tow.

For pictures of her little adventure, see here:

[We apologize for the poor photo quality, but apparently, Melissa was
mucking about with her display settings trying to see if she could
coax a few more FPS from her virtual world.]

PS: Before she took off from KPDX, Melissa said that she was going to
use the same 19m mesh that "Frank" used during his recent Mt. St.
Helens sightseeing adventure. Underneath the new area of 19m mesh is
FSGenesis' 38m "west coast" mesh, with FSGenesis US landclass also in
the mix. The 19m mesh file was found at the "FSFreeware" site
mentioned by "Frank", and it is called "sthelens19.zip"

--
Melissa

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Oops! ROFL

Whistle Crazier than me, I tried to land my blimp in Seahawk Stadium in Seattle. Never made it. If I ever do I'll post a screen shot.
These are from the net not my sim.

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

Here's another unauthorized flight to try some day, when you are in the mood to defy ATC regulations. I "strapped on" the Piper Cub and flew down into the Grand Canyon. I decended 500 feet below the rim and then flew west through the canyon. Deeper into the canyon would have been more challenging, but I didn't want to crash too soon. 😀

Of course, you could choose to take a helicopter down there, but that wouldn't be as dicey as a fixed-wing flight..

Glenn Whistle

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Bravo! What an amazing flight! I had a similar expereince flying my mooney bravo through the valleys of the alps. After flying through a cloud I noticed an ice covered mountain approaching with little time to maneuver. So i tried pulling up and climbing over the mountain, but that resulted in me sliding up the slope to a full stop on my belly, landing gears still up. My first thought was "oh great, here i am on the side of a mountain, a good 20 miles from the airport, and i forgot to file a flight plan! Better get walkin'...

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

originalgrunge wrote:

Bravo! What an amazing flight! I had a similar expereince flying my mooney bravo through the valleys of the alps.

Yes...sometimes (*often* for a simulated bush pilot like myself!), emergency landings can be quite interesting and stimulating! Smile

I posted a follow-up "news report" to my original post in the news group, but it may be a bit long to paste the entire thing here (118 lines at a 70 character wrap setting). So...if you read news groups, here's where you can find the "breaking news" update (see "Message-ID"):

Newsgroups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Subject: Re: Crazy simulated bush pilots lands inside St. Helens!
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:27:48 -0800
Lines: 118
Message-ID: <ukc460pobdpuv714t6qr6gmck1ohpfrko2@4ax.com>

PS: If you're not a regular reader/participant of that particular news group, you'll not understand some of the "inside references" to certain other regular readers/participants of that group.

--
Melissa

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Not too long ago i did land my learjet inside the mountain, but that wasn't pretty, and i don't think you need to see the pic... 😳

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Not too long ago i did land my learjet inside the mountain, but that wasn't pretty, and i don't think you need to see the pic... 😳

Oh, c'mon...let's see what's left of your Lear! 🙂 I posted my Embraer 170 "rough landing" picture to my screen shot page! That one wasn't at Mt. St. Helens, but on a small plateau in the Congo.

It was very nice of MS to have included a crater clean up crew though. With so many of us having to walk away from our planes in there, it could have been a real mess by now!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

That's the point, there's nothing left. Apparantly the victim of a glitch, i landed, and upon nearly stopping, i fell through the mountain, and crashed Poke in Eye ....the whole plane dissapeared! 😞

Pro Member Trainee
Mediatech Trainee

The best flight to try is in an Extra 300, smoke and the Colorodo River, about 100 feet off the deck and approach Hoover Dam. Then once around the corner and you see the dam, pull up quick over the dam and across the man made lake. Quite the rush!!! Aerobatic experience is a plus+++

What I am really looking for is an aircraft carrier, anyone know where I can download one, if it's available. I want to try the F16 landing on that deck.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Mediatech wrote:

The best flight to try is in an Extra 300, smoke and the Colorodo River, about 100 feet off the deck and approach Hoover Dam. Then once around the corner and you see the dam, pull up quick over the dam and across the man made lake. Quite the rush!!! Aerobatic experience is a plus+++

What I am really looking for is an aircraft carrier, anyone know where I can download one, if it's available. I want to try the F16 landing on that deck.

Go here and look for this, I never used it. You have to have the deck fitted with arrestor cables I believe, they will explain it better than I can.

http://www.abacuspub.com/

Flight Deck

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...