Setting up a CH Yoke.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I got my Christmas present early, a CH Yoke. I love it but I seem to be reacting too slowly to situations that occur. In other words, I am not seeing the "crisp" response I was getting with a joystick.

Any suggestions on setting sensitivities,etc., would be appreciated.

Other than that, I love the yoke.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

What you are experiencing is what I like about the yoke. I find it's much easier to be smooth with the yoke than it is with the stick, but that's just me. I find it to be more realistic.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I raised the sensitivity a bit and reduced the null zones to nil. Now I'm able to line up with the runway without wobbling side to side. It's like learning to fly all over again.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Hey crash, I had the same issue! These things should really come with a manual on how to set it up for a first timer. You can ignore my rant in this post, just scroll down to Pro-Sim's advice on how to set it up. A few minor adjustments to what he said and it flies better than I could've imagined!

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/9154/so-i-just-purchased-ch-yoke-and/

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks for the link. I was looking for that thread. I pasted it into a text file.

Now, if I can onlyfigure out why the mixture control (used for propellor craft) works on jet a/c as well. 😳

I've now gotten to the point where I can land planes...just not perfectly, yet.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Crash, that does sound strange. What effect does the mixture lever have when you are flying a jet?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I can kill the engines by pushing the knob fully forward.

Pro Member Captain

Yeah, I think it toggles the engine cutoff switches when you adjust the mixture knob. I wish it was smart enough to know whether there was a mixture knob or not, but oh well 😉 .

I'm just contemplating taping my prop/mixture levers down when I'm not using them, or just putting a bit "DON'T TOUCH" sticker on them. Haha, I think I just like playing with buttons too much 🙄 ....

Pro Member Chief Captain

I used Pro-Sim's settings. Wonderful. I made a couple of other changes.

I substituted spoilers on the button previously used for the kneeboard, and reverse thrust on one of the buttons for changing views. I didn't need two buttons for changing view and wanted to get as many buttons in use for landing the a/c, rather than needing to use the mouse or keyboard. Now, if I just had one more button to turn off the AP. 🙄

madbrit Guest

I think you can set one of the buttons as the 'shift' or 'ctrl' key to use in combination with the other buttons? You lose one button to 'shift' but gain seven more options.

You'll need to reset the joystick button assignments in FS for the required functions. (eg Shift Button + Button 1 to toggle the AP on and off). Just make sure you don't use one of the built in keyboard commands that use shift or ctrl.

madbrit Guest

I think you can set one of the buttons as the 'shift' or 'ctrl' key to use in combination with the other buttons? You lose one button to 'shift' but gain seven more options.

You'll need to reset the joystick button assignments in FS for the required functions. (eg Shift Button + Button 1 to toggle the AP on and off). Just make sure you don't use one of the built in keyboard commands that use shift or ctrl.

Pro Member Captain

That's a great idea. FSUIPC lets you assign any keypress you'd like (except printscreen unfortunately), so it does make sense that you could do that. Thanks for the tip! I'll probably start using it the next time I fly!

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Hi guys,

You're right about the mixture lever.... got to be careful not to touch that in the jets Embarassed .... but on the positive side, in the jets you can imagine that it's your "Fuel Levers" and use it to cut the engines once you're at the gate. 😎

FSUIPC (Full registered version) is essential to get the best out of the CH Yoke.

Using FSUIPC I have set the left yoke arm (red) button to operte the "Z" key, so it now disconnects the AutoPilot on ALL planes - not just those with custom key commands 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks for all your information. The settings you posted are great.

Of course, after spending a week re-learning how to fly with the yoke, I just got the pedals. Now I'll have to spend another week re-learning all over. 😳

I think that is it for the hardware. It will take me a couple of months to come up with a reason to get the quadrant. 🙄

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...