Aviation.....Radiation

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

According to one of my dad's pilot friends, one long haul flight can give one as much radiation as four chest x-rays. This would mean that pilots, and even regular flyers would be much more likely to get cancer.
Is this true?
Does anyone have further information about it?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/info/RadHaz.html

The NOAA seems to estimate that daily exposure to about 2 hours flight per day, at typical (20,000-40,000 feet) altitude may cause about one extra cancer in a sample of 100,000.

On this basis, I wouldn't be losing any sleep over the issue, and if your ambition is to be a pilot, I'd go for it.

Edit: I overstated the radiation levels. Sorry. The main point remains the same - the risk is minimal to non-existent.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

thanks for the info.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

In the UK (don't know about the United States) the allowed radiation dose(for firefighters) is 30 milliseverts on any one incident, providing that this does not exceed 60 milliseverts in a 12 month period! For women it is 15 milliseverts on any one incident providing it does not exceed 30 milliseverts during a 12 month period (allowing for the fact that radiation can make you infertile).For civilians it is less but i think it is more for the military!
Sorry if this is too much info? (Or just boring).
I think you're going to be ok on flights!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...