wonder how the airports clean heavy snow

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

they can't spread sand and salt....plough? doubt it...then how?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

i think they use snow blowers that..... erm....blow it away 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Trucks? I've seen a picture of a truck removing the snow off the runway.
It was an Airlines.net picture, but since there are millions of them I can't find the picture.

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Yeah i think that they mainly plough the runway, i dont think they spray anything obviously as if this was to solidify into an ice, then landing would be extremely dangerous, if not impossible. After ploughing it i do not know if some sort of grit is put on it.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

ploughing does a lot damage to pavement....
runway pavement is very expensive

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

nottobe wrote:

ploughing does a lot damage to pavement....
runway pavement is very expensive

That's right.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

Tartanaviation wrote:

Yeah i think that they mainly plough the runway, i dont think they spray anything obviously as if this was to solidify into an ice, then landing would be extremely dangerous, if not impossible. After ploughing it i do not know if some sort of grit is put on it.

salt can ruin the jet engines, can corrode aluminum, and sand is a nightware since it can be sucked into the jet turbines

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks for those links fourby.

I found this one particularly informative ➡

First of all the snow is cleared off the runway. Any snow not removed by the snow plough is sucked up by the cutter blowers and then blown to the side of the runway. The snow walls at the edge of the runway are blown (hurled) by a snow blower (900 hp) about 40 meters away from the runway.

De-icing of operational surfaces
The airport takes care of the mechanical clearing of the snow with ploughs and cutter blowers and also the chemical de-icing of operational surfaces and aircraft. Urea, chemical de-icing fluid which are 100% bio-degradable.

Idea

Pro Member First Officer
robbier First Officer

I heard that under the runway pavement there are heaters that make it so the surface of the runway is always above freezing, so the snow/ice will just melt into water. I could be wrong

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Think you are right robbier, some airports do have runway "under floor" heating.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I think I saw an episode of the Red Green show where Red taught us to make a driveway heater. It was pretty funny 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (-Jester-) First Officer

Back when I was going to disney (mid winter) we had a pretty bad snow storm that night and out on the tarmac (did I spell that right) they had these BIG machines that melted the snow and turned it into steaming hot water and they just let it splash out. So I am guessing that they uses some sort of frontend loader (this was at KHPL Philly)

-Nick

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...