7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
other
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]

Total Votes : 14

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

What is a private message? Maybe the outcome of this poll will explain it.

Answers 24 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

A PM = A note to another Flyaway member that is wished to be kept confidential.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I don't know what a PM is. Could someone write 2 or 3 paragraphs, in a condescending tone, describing the technical, social and morale definition and use of a PM ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I voted "Anyone" with the caveat "anyone that is a member"

a private message is a way for a user to send an "e-mail" like message to you, within the confines of a forum (you get emailsed by the forum to notify you) without actually having to know your personal email address.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Other.

If a message its been created and sending by you,you can do it whatever you want.
If its a received one its another persons property and needs respect or the permission of the creator in order to rebuplished.

Last edited by Greekman72 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Although I was very tempted to vote, "only those who don't treat FS as a game", I had to vote nobody. After all, what part of private is that hard to understand?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

I voted "Anyone" with the caveat "anyone that is a member"

Me too 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

have i misunderstood this?

Do you mean post private messages in the public boards or "post" private messages to a specific user?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think that we have to clear something here.
Tailhook is reffering ,if i get it right,to :If someone has the right to republish a PM in the forums and not to who are allowed to PM anyway.

According to an incident that unfortunately happens between him and dear CRJCapt i understand this as the meaning of this poll.

Of course maybe im wrong. Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

I think that we have to clear something here.
Tailhook is reffering ,if i get it right,to :If someone has the right to republish a PM in the forums and not to who are allowed to PM anyway.

According to an incident that unfortunately happens between him and dear CRJCapt i understand this as the meaning of this poll.

Of course maybe im wrong. Dont Know

Although I was unaware of the incident, that is the way I interpreted the question, as well.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I've never republished anyones PM to me.

Pro Member Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I don't know what a PM is. Could someone write 2 or 3 paragraphs, in a condescending tone, describing the technical, social and morale definition and use of a PM ❓

PM = Private Message. This can be initiated from the menu at the left or the "pm" button that adorns forum posts by members. I believe the intent is to allow members to communicate privately when they choose, or the message may be off-topic to the forum thread, or other reason known only to the involved parties.

The implied definition is that the message is to be kept between the two parties involved. In other words, a secret. However, as is well known, anything known by more than one individual, is unlikely to remain a secret for more than a very short period of time.

While privacy and secrecy is ostensibly to keep information out of the hands of those who would use it improperly, such privacy or secrecy is regarded by some as clannish or snobbish and not in the interest of the community as a whole.

There! Was that condescending enough? 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

My belief:
A PM is just that, a Private Message. To post it in a public forum without the full permission of the sender is extremely impolite.
It is a way of setting a disagreement in private because it will be deleted if done in public.

I also use it as a way to communicate friendly messages with a fellow member privately.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I've never republished anyones PM to me.

I know dear CRJCapt.You republish one of yours.And if you notice my state about this poll ,you will see that i have no problem with this.That was ➡

Other.

If a message its been created and sending by you,you can do it whatever you want.
If its a received one its another persons property and needs respect or the permission of the creator in order to rebuplished.

Sorry if i confuse you with my post but forgive my bad way of using the English language. Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The sender judges the sensitivity of the message. I could ask you "what computer do you use?" in a PM. If I don't care who reads it, I'm free to ask that same question in open forum, as we do all the time. If the recipient doesn't want to reveal their computer type, they can just not answer or respond via PM. Another persons PM to you should never be posted within the open forum. It's the senders choice to use PM or open forum based on what will be said. If you write something in a PM and later determine that it's not a secret, you can republish it in the open forum. Maybe the person you sent it to failed to notice your PM.

I agree that somethings should not be spoken of in the open forum. Attempts should be made to communicate via PM. When that fails, open forum, right or wrong, is all that is left to convey a message. 🙂

Yes, Crash that was good! Use a few more words that no one knows the meaning of and you'll be perfect. 😀 😀 😀

Last edited by CRJCapt on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I have not voted because my option is not there Crying or Very sad
The PM message system is good
It is only open to members,and I belive that is the way it should stay 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Why the heck did someone start a subject about PM's? There is nothing wrong with them, or nothing to discuss... I just don't get it 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

i misunderstood...

so, my opinion is the sender of the PM should be able to publish it at their discression but the sender should obviously use their judgement as to how sensitive the contents are

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

just members should be allowed to send them, afterall, it is only members that can recieve them so surely members have the right to only get them from fellow members rather than any old junk!

Micah 😉

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

PM's are fine the way they are, only members of flyaway should be allowed to use them.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I'm sorry to have kept you waiting my friend, I have a slow connection 😉
Since you don't know what a PM is, I thought I'd help you out and post one here as an example:

To: CRJCapt
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:09 pm
Subject: Regarding your message

I received a PM from you some time ago with a subject like "A rant about a gamepad-controller".

I deleted it straight away - never read it. It means, I have no idea what it's contents were.

I look at my inbox a little bit like my house. If a visitor arrives, I expect him to knock on the door and ask politely for permission to enter.
If instead he smashes in the door and tries to behave as though he owned the place, I won't waste my time and get rid of him quickly without much talk or room for argument.

Including the word "rant" in the subject line I regard equal to trampling in the door upon arrival.

Whatever it is you wish to convey, approach me with respect and I'll treat you with respect. You're welcome to PM me like any other Flyaway member, though as I just explained, I completely ignore junk-mail, I won't even open it and that is regardless of who the sender might be.

However, after this blow to your ego, I don't really expect you to PM me again. That would be too embarrassing. Instead, you'll trundle off to the forums and drum up support, you don't strike me as one who is able to fight his own fights... and once you've established your support base, you'll start stalking, probing, provoking and spoil for a fight.

I will use a platitude here: 'There is nothing new under sun'.

Finally, I assure you, you won't ruffle my feathers. Whenever I feel that things are getting too silly and childish, I just ignore posts, yours or anyone elses for that matter and I suggest you do the same.

Have a good day Sir.

So now you now what a PM is. No need to thank me my friend, you deserve all the credit. After all, you were the instigator.
After re-reading the paragraph in bold type, wouldn't you agree that I was spot on with my assessment... including the "stalking"?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

And it has a poll to be created for all of this?

People come here to vote...Although some of them confused(and they have right about it)they vote and share their opinions because they thought that it was a usual poll not a double purpose one. Ninja

So, the purpose of this poll was to dig up a disagreement between two great members.
Ok...it works..and now?what?Fight again?another locked topic again?
Sorry but my mind(brick)cant find any meaning to this... Dont Know
My humble and personal opinion(although i knew it from the beginning)is that im very sorry about it.

And to provide been accused of patronizing for the common good i state that i like disagreements but only if they had level,a meaning and a final result at least for the watchers.Here (except maybe from level)i cant find nothing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

So, the purpose of this poll was to dig up a disagreement between two great members.
Ok...it works..and now?what?Fight again?another locked topic again?
Sorry but my mind(brick)cant find any meaning to this... Dont Know
My humble and personal opinion(although i knew it from the beginning)is that im very sorry about it.

I agree Greekman. I fail to see the point of bringing up a matter that was asked to be discussed via PM's (by a moderator) again Dont Know Just my opinion; maybe I'm missing something 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I'm done. What do you say Tailhook, you done?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I'm done. What do you say Tailhook, you done?

If he is let him take it to the PM's.

Locked.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...