How to land with one engine?

Sico2 Guest

Hiya all,

I was looking for an answer for this question and didn't find anything. Sometimes when I fly in FS9, few miles before landing I shut down one of the engines (mostly on 737, 767 or 777-for fun, let us say) and am trying to land. It's impossible for me!

I don't know what can be wrong or is such a manoeuvre generally possible in this game? I know it's possible in real life, but is it in FS9? I tried many times, and almost every time the plane loses speed very much, than altitude, pitch goes up. If I try to correct with rudder or wing leveller it goes in other direction anyway, and after few minutes it crashes all the time. Did anyone from experienced pilots tried something similar, was the landing successful? Should I try with lighter aircraft or something, like piper, learjet ? Thanks for your advice.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

I'm no expert on this but it sounds like you are trying to use autopilot to correct the fault.

I'm sure you would do better if you tried to fly manually.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

only set throttle to idle when you get over the runway threshold. if your plane is heavily loaded you can;t set the throttle to idle - maybe keep it 15%. really it's up to you - keep your eye on the gauge and stay about 10 knots above your stall speed as you approach, when about 50ft above set it to idle and glide down.

Sico2 Guest

I tried both, manually and auto pilot. The thing is, when I shut down the engine (let us say 10nm before treshold) the aircraft loses drastically speed, below stall point, then I have to add more throttle to the only working engine I have. But the one-side power is too strong and puts the aircraft into the left or right bank(depends of working engine) and is also too weak to give some speed to the whole machine. In result I have almost full right/left turn with stall and nose in the air. And then goes.. kabuum!

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

set it to idle throttle so you slow down, then power up the engine. notice what angle it makes you turn. then approach the runway at that angle - hit throttle and you should be on track and use the rudder to compensate any difference.

if you are a long way out then you need to apply full throttle with some rudder in the ooposite direction, set throttle back to 10% and turn back course. repeat untill near a runway to land.

that, or fly a rear engined plane.

Sico2 Guest

thanks, hope this will work, never tried this.
With 727, DC-10,MD-11 or TriStar is piece of cake with 2 engines... twin engine aircraft, that's a challenge! 🙂 Is in real life the same procedure? Throttle with rudder, idle and correct path and than again?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

With one engine, you don't want full flaps for landing; try 15 degrees. Your Vref speed needs to be higher because of the reduced flap position. This value is not given directly. Try 160-170 KIAS, depending on weight, for the Boeing 737. You want a long runway(>5000 ft.) and don't forget to arm the spoilers(Ctrl+/). You should turn off auto rudder and control rudder manually if you have the controls. Auto pilot should be off no lower than 200' AGL. 🙂

Sico2 Guest

Thanks you guys for advice, will try this in practice, will inform you what came out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Er I just had to make an emergency landing with ZERO engines in my Pilatus PC-12 thanks to a bird strike on take off, thank goodness I was at 18,000 feet and only 22miles from the airport I just took off from...

Damn man, you were lucky... really the engine went off? What bird was it, that big? What the procedure with smaller planes on a glide landing.. do you use less flaps or the same, what's the descending ratio?

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

huh... i didnt know there were bird strikes. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

brownbox wrote:

huh... i didnt know there were bird strikes. 😂

Only when using FS Passengers.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

Er I just had to make an emergency landing with ZERO engines in my Pilatus PC-12 thanks to a bird strike on take off, thank goodness I was at 18,000 feet and only 22miles from the airport I just took off from...

It is nice to be able to land like that, but better if you were watching your engine temperature and oil pressure readings. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

If you lose an engine in a twin engined aircraft..correct yaw with rudder, power up and clean up. Disengage the AP if it is on. Bank into the live engine if neccessary to maintain heading.
Obviously high power setting=more rudder. So as you come down the glide less rudder is required....but remember when you increase power compensate with rudder input.
When you are under control you can either attempt a restart (depending on the problem) or shut down/extinguish etc. Aviate, navigate, communicate.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...