Flying an Airbus

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Morning all,

Here is a cockpit view of the beautiful Airbus A340-600 by Commercial Level Solutions

You will notice that parts of the panel do not fit on the screen. How can I change it so I can see this?

Also, does anybody know how to fly this thing? I can take off etc but I havnt got a clue on how to use autopilot.

Thanks 😀

Answers 41 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You're flying in Window mode Doyley, try Full View mode: Alt+Enter

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

tried that, didnt work 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You've got the Menu Bar visible anyway, try Views / Full Screen

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Yup I tried the full screen but didnt take a screen shot. It was exactly the same.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

All I can suggest, try the same with another aircraft. If that works, then you'd have to look in your payware manual.
If it doesn't work, check if you are inadvertently flying in 'Safe Mode'. From 'Safe Mode' I think you cannot switch to Full View.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Yeah my other planes are fine and im not in safe mode, though it did keep starting up in safe mode once for some reason.
Ive asked on the forums on their site to see if they have any ideas... thanks anyway.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Look at this picture Doyley ➡ http://www.commerciallevel.com/pictures/a340600/window.php?6
It was taken from the CLS website. If I compare your picture with the one of CLS I see that they are the same. The panel looks the same. So I would say try changing views or fly in VC view.

Now, this site will teach you how to use the autopilot. It's very simple and easy.

If you have any questions, you can ask me and I can write you a guide on how to use the autopilot or any other instrument.

😉

PS: That site doesn't teach you "managed mode" and "automatic mode". Also it doesn't teach you "Open climb" and "Open descent" which is important to know.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Hey thanks for your reply and offer. I think im starting to get my head around it.

Couple of things though.

How do I use the autobrakes? I set them with the knob but they dont seem to come on after I touch down.

How do I use the spoilers? I use shift and / on my approac but they dont seem to activate.

Cheers 😀

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Oh and what is the max range of the plane? IE can it go transatlantic?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain

Doyley wrote:

Hey thanks for your reply and offer. I think im starting to get my head around it.

Couple of things though.

How do I use the autobrakes? I set them with the knob but they dont seem to come on after I touch down.

How do I use the spoilers? I use shift and / on my approac but they dont seem to activate.

Cheers 😀

They should work if you set the autobrakes with the knob. If it doesn't, maybe it's a problem with the aircraft model. The autobrakes modelled on the CLS aircraft is wrong compared to the real autobrakes from a real aircraft.

Here is a picture of the CLS A340-600 panel ➡ http://www.commerciallevel.com/pictures/a340600/window.php?11 As you can see, it shows the spoilers not deployed. When you press Shift + / make sure that they are set. Look at the ECAM 1 to see if the spoilers are activated.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Doyley wrote:

Oh and what is the max range of the plane? IE can it go transatlantic?

CRJCapt gave you a link with the range of the A340-600. This aircraft can go transatlantic with no problem.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Thanks again for your help.

Im glad to see it can go transatlantic.

Im still having problems with the spoilers, I arm them and the light comes on in the overhead panel but, according to the wing views, they are not deploying. They are on the wings right?

Cheers 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes, they are on the wings. When you press Shift + /, do you see something like "SPLR Arm" on the ECAM 1? If you arm the spoilers they should deploy automatically when the main landing gear touches down.

If nothing happens ask them

😉

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I have no idea what the ECAM is 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Take a look at this picture:

There are 6 screens in this cockpit. Two for the Captain and two for the First Officer. Starting from the left, the first screen is called Primary Flight Display (PFD). The next one is called Navigation Display (ND). Then you have two screens in the middle, one on top of each other. Those are the ECAM screens. The screen on top is ECAM 1 and the screen on the bottom is ECAM 2. The other screens are the ND and PFD for the First Officer.

Now take a look at this picture:

This is the ECAM 1 screen.

You see where it says "SPLRS.........ARM"? That means that the spoilers are armed. That's how you check if the spoilers are armed or not.

I hope this helps. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Embarassed I'm so sorry about the size and quality of the pictures. They didn't look that bad and big on the site I have taken them.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Excellent cheers 😀 I will take a look and let you know how I get on.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll be waiting 😉

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Oh another thing 😀

What do the following mean? I think there something to do with the approach speeds but im not sure exactly...

VC
VF15
VF25
VF50
VREF

Cheers again 😀

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Here is a screen dump of ECAM 1.

It doesnt change when I arm the spoilers 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain

Doyley wrote:

Oh another thing 😀

What do the following mean? I think there something to do with the approach speeds but im not sure exactly...

VC
VF15
VF25
VF50
VREF

Cheers again 😀

VREF is the landing approach speed. That is the speed used to land the aircraft.

I don't know about the rest. I've never heard of them before. Where did you find them? I may be able to help you with that if you tell me where you found them.

As for the spoilers problem, when you press Shift + / nothing changes in that screen? Well, if nothing happens you should contact CLS or post a message in their forum asking for support.
I´m going to talk with a friend that has this addon about this.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Them terms are found in the computer thingy. It calculates them for you judged on the ac's weight which is a cool feature.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Computer thingy? You mean the MCDU, right? The two screens next to the radios.

Well, tomorrow I'm going to do some research on that.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Nope I looked now, its the FMC.

Pro Member Chief Captain

The FMC is the MCDU but for Airbus.

FMC for Boeing.

MCDU for Airbus.

😉

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Ahh cool, the mouseover says FMC. Must be a CLS bug.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah. I am 100% sure it is a bug.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Can you tell me in which section of the MCDU you found those terms?

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

There is a little button that says TO/Approach. If you click approach after you have clicked that it shows it. Well it does on mine 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ohh, I've found that button. Well, I don't know what it shows after you press that button, because that button isn't on a real MCDU.

I'm gonna ask my friend about that.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

OK doke, would you like a screen dump or two of it?

Pro Member Chief Captain

If you don't mind...

It's always better to include a screenshot so we can help.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

ok doke...

Here is the pre take-off screen

Here is the pre-approach screen

There is also this part which I cannot make out. I can use the nav radio ok on there but I have no idea about the rest... Here it is.

Thanks again!

Pro Member Chief Captain

This is my guess about this:

VC Approach speed in clean condition. (No flaps)
VF15 Maximum flaps speed (in this case this is flap 15°)
VF25 Maximum flaps speed (flap 25°)
VF50 Maximum flaps speed (flap 50°)
VREF Landing speed

If that is correct, there's something wrong in that too. Flaps configuration in every Airbus aircraft goes like this:

Flaps 0

Flaps 1

(There's also flaps 1+F which only shows in the ECAM 1. That means that the slats are down)

Flaps 2

Flaps 3

Flaps Full

Now let's go through this:

This screenshot could be divided by three parts. The first one being the radio panel, the second one the ECAM Camera, and the third one the ECAM control panel.

The middle part is the ECAM Camera, which I think it turns on the outside cameras so you can see your aircraft through the ECAM screens.

Here's an example:

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=389900

The third part changes the ECAM 2 screens. You can check the fuel, hydraulics, wheels, cabin temperature, oxygen, pressurisation, etc. Try clicking each button and look at the ECAM 2 screen. You'll see different screens that help you throughout the flight.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

agus i have too say, you certainly know your way around a a340 =) 🍻 👏

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hehe, thanks! 🙂 You know, I really like to learn everything I can about Airbus. I also like to discuss about its aircrafts, cockpits, intruments, etc.
When I don't know something I do a research about it and learn that.

😉

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Just to add to Agus' very good answers the picture which is broken down into three parts...the middle one is the brightness controls for the upper and lower ECAMs.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks for clearing that up, PH 😉

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I havnt had chance to play about yet matey but many thanks for your help. It really is appreciated!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

You're welcome! 😀 It's my pleasure to help.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...