FS2004 INSTALLATION ERROR - PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

Cpl.McGowan Guest

Hi guys. I hope you can help me with the following problem.

When I go to install flight simulator 2004 I recieve an error message when the installation reaches 15% and is trying to copy the rotor startup file for the robinson r22.

It tells me that I either have not enough disk space (which I have found to be untrue) or that the file is already in use. How can this be?

I have tried closing all other visible pen programs including shutting down my internet and unplugging my modem during installation.

Thankyou for reading my problem.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your anti virus can be getting in the way or the disk can have a scratch or smudge on it.
Try installing it in "safe mode", it should load there if the disks are in good shape.
Let us know how you do.

Radar

Cpl.McGowan Guest

I don't know how to get safe mode. I've never had to do it before. And if I install in safe mode will I have to run the game in safe mode every time I play?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

To get into safe mode,reboot your PC and press Umm... F8 or F2 repeatedly before Windows loads.Windows will now load only the essential programs.
Load fs as normal then reboot the PC again and let it start normally

Try that and let us know 😉

Edit Oops! I forgot,no you will not have to go to safe mode to run fs 😉

Cpl.McGowan Guest

I've tried to install in safe mode but I am still recieveing the same error message when it reaches 15% and begins copying the rotor startup sound file for the robinson r22.

I know that Flight Sim 2004 is compatible with my machine as when I bought it from my friend about half a year ago he had left it and FS2002 on the machine for me.

If anyone has any other suggestions they would be greatly apprechiated.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

1. Did you try rebooting(to ensure that the file in question is not being accessed)?

2. How much HD space do you have available?

3. Is the drive you're using for installation a rewritable drive? Do you have a regular CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive on your computer?
🙂

Cpl.McGowan Guest

I have tried installing in both drives. My original disc drive (which was, yes, re-writable) and a normal DVD ROM drive. However I still recieve this error message.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 encountered a disk error while writing to the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\Robinson_R22\sound\r22_startup_rotor.wav. Make sure your hard disk is not full, and that the file is not in use.

My memory available is roughly 120GB and I have uninstalled all my other games and downloaded programs.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Read through this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258496/en-us

Try the disk in another computer to ensure it's not the disk.
Defrag you HD and scan for errors.

Call Microsoft FS tech support at (425) 637-9308

I can't think of anything else. 😞

Cpl.McGowan Guest

I've tried MS Tech Support. I don't have £35 to spend on a help request (absolute ridiculous price if you ask me anyway). And at this moment I don't have access to another machine.

Looks like it's screwed then. I'll try another disc that I can get off a friend later. If that doesn't work then I'm reformatting my machine so it'll be in the same state as it was when I got it. Then there'll be no reason for it not to work.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...