Kittyhawk 737-800 Landing

flightcheck Guest

Ok, so i'm flying into Canberra airport today in my new 737-800, i set full flaps and gear down, and come in at about 140 kts.

Thing is, at 140 kts, i apply full nose up trim and the nose still wont stay up 😕 have i got the landing speeds wrong or anything?

Because i keep having to pull back on the stick, and im pretty sure thats not how its done lol.

Any help appreciated 🙂

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Im not sure your supposed to pre-set trim for landing. I usually land by constantly altering my pitch based on the position of the runway relative to my craft and also with the help of my ILS needles. 😉

....or I am completely miscomprehending your question?? Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

It depends on your weight i.e. fuel load. You shouldn't be struggling to keep the nose up, especially with elevator trim and at that speed. If you keep getting that problem then it could be a model or .cfg. You do need a fair bit of trim for landing, but not full nose up trim.

Also, check your payload and check you have a normal CG. 140 KIAS is a good speed, maybe even a little fast (130 KIAS is average) so you shouldn't be having those problems 😉

flightcheck Guest

i was landing with almost a full tank of fuel, would this be the cause?

Pro Member Chief Captain

flightcheck wrote:

i was landing with almost a full tank of fuel, would this be the cause?

Could be. Try it with less fuel, say 40% and see how you get on 😉

flightcheck Guest

ok, i tried with 10% in each tank (3 in total) and 130kts.

It was better, but i still had to use almost full trim,

is it something to do with the flaps, not full flaps maybe?

Pro Member Chief Captain

At 130 KIAS, you'll need full flaps or you will drop like a stone. Sometimes I have to use a lot more trim than others to relieve pressure, but as long as you can still control your aircraft using trim, it shouldn't matter how much you use 😉

flightcheck Guest

Great 🙂

Thanks a lot for your help

🍻

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Coul be i had the same inconvenient the other day i was landing with 84& fuel in tanks, full flaps and 145 knots, and the plane just stay with the nose down.
Try 135 Knots and as allready sayed 20-30% fuel, and not full flaps (i heard that in other post).

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

I have that same problem with that same aircraft. I think it need a faster speed to maintain it's nose up.

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

I'm pretty sure the landing speed of the 737 is 144 knots, 130 is WAY too slow.

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

NoWorries wrote:

It would be slow but, with 20% fuel and 3/4 FLAPS it might be able to touch down smoothly i think...

Pro Member Chief Captain

NoWorries wrote:

The 737 lands a lot slower than people think.

Vref for 40t for flaps 30 is = 119kts.
Vref for 40t for flaps 40 is = 116kts.

The slowest speed it can land at is 116kts.

Vref for flaps 40 for 50t = 130kts.

😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...