What is 12'o clock

Pro Member Trainee
Bhupesh Trainee

Hi friends,

It's been a long time I have been here. So how you guys doing there? Well just a quick one 😂 I know I come with stupid questions everytime...Well I have seen this whenever I request Airport Directions from the ATC I hear Airport is 12'o clock / 4'o clock or 6'o clock how and what is this ? how can we see this time on the MCP or the cockpit for that matter? Please let me know because its pinging me day and night and I am not able to figure out why and what exactly this means?

Thanks! again fellas

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

It means its giving you a direction to look to.

Imagine you are standing on a clock face; 12 o'clock is straight ahead in front of you, so when somebody says "look to 12 o'clock", you look straight ahead. When somebody says "EGLL is 3nm at 6 o'clock" then it is behind you, because that is where 6 is on the clock relative to where you are. It isn't referring to a time period or time of the day, but a direction, so imagine the position of that number on the clock and then look in that direction.

Pro Member Trainee
Bhupesh Trainee

Thanks! Jon for the reply now this clears my doubt thank god I never looked at my wall clock when the ATC used to give me directions.... 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

Even i had the same confusion. I thought it was the actual time at the airport lol. No wonder it kept changing.... 😀

Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

Good one to watch for a lesson on this is Indiana Jones - Last Crusade. Sean Connery ends up shooting the tail off the plane after but Harrison Ford does a great job of explaining the clock face angles.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...