DELL PC??

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

Hi i'd like a dell PC, A top of the range Dell XPS 700 (Gaming)

Here is what i want to get:

Intel® Pentium® D Processor 950 (3.40GHz, 800MHz fsb, 2x2MB cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2
2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (2x1024) Memory
Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
No Monitor
DUAL 256MB nVidia™ GeForce 7900GS graphics card
250GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
1.44MB Floppy Drive
Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse
No Modem
16x max. DVD+/-RW and 16x DVD
Integrated 5.1 Audio with RealTek Enhanced Software
No Speakers
XPS 700 Documentation with UK Power Cord
List D06XP5 - XPS 700
Microsoft® Works 7.0
1-Year On-site service
Upgrade to 3y Next Business Day On Site
No Security/Anti-Virus Software
No Photo Organising & Sharing Software/No Photo Editing Software
Dimension Order - UK
Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader
Futuristic Order Flag SKU
Adobe Reader 6.0 - English
Free Second Graphics Card: 256MB PCI-Express nVidia™ GeForce 7900GS (Single to Dual)
Dell Internet Order.

TOTAL Incl. VAT:£1,755.87 (Inc Delivery)

Would you say this is a acceptable price? and what are your views on dell computers?

I'd need asmuch help as possible..
many thanks

Answers 21 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

It sounds expensive but then looking at what you get, it seems fairly reasonable. They don't provide you with much RAM, but the RAM they do provide you with is extremely powerful. The processor is also very powerful so its a top of the range computer - which it ought to be for close to £2000.

If I had that money to spare, then a new computer would be top of my list of things to get 😉

Pro Member First Officer

You can upgrade to more ram for about another £100. I think i'll do that my self 'If' I can get one.

How can i persuade my dad to allow me to get one for that price?

Pro Member First Officer

PS. How long would you say this pc would last me before all the conpments are useless for the games? (Such as the computer is out dated and the games are demanding more)

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I am going to make a suggestion. Wait until Windows Vista is available. Then get a computer that includes it and is fully compatible with it. Save yourself the expense and headache of upgrading. That is...if you can wait till January 2007.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I could build a dual core PC for less than that. I'll look at prices tonight. I recon I can get it below £1755.87 and that's with a monitor as well.

Pro Member First Officer

kl. Windows vista is sh*t to be quiet honest. I had it on an illegal copy once (Worked fine but games didn't realy like it)Its just too long drawn out to use. I like XP Pro to be honest buy hey.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I agree with Crash and Liono.
If you are able to do it fix it by yourself if you are not, follow Crash's suggestion.

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

dannyboy2005 wrote:

Hi i'd like a dell PC, A top of the range Dell XPS 700 (Gaming)

TOTAL Incl. VAT:£1,755.87 (Inc Delivery)

Would you say this is a acceptable price? and what are your views on dell computers?

I'd need asmuch help as possible..
many thanks

That sounds like a very nice computer. I don't thnk 2Gb is too little RAM. Dell makes pretty good machines. I have had a couple of them and used to repair computers for a living. I built computers also until I figured out you can't build it for cheaper than the big manufacturers unless you are planning on stealing the software (OS mainly) you are going to put on it. It makes sense when you think about it. The home builder buys one or two of each component at retail while someone like Dell buys thousands of video cards at a time direct from the manufacturer. I can't really comment on the price except to say Dell is usually pretty competitive. I should add as a disclaimer I also did telephone sales for Dell for a while.

Last edited by wscott52 on Wed May 31, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

dannyboy2005 wrote:

PS. How long would you say this pc would last me before all the conpments are useless for the games? (Such as the computer is out dated and the games are demanding more)

Thanks

Game designers are always pushing the edge of the envelope. A state of the art computer may still be mainstream in two or three years but it will definitely be on back side of the technology curve. If you want to stay current with the latest games you have to be willing to pay for the latest hardware. I did it for a while when I was younger and finally got tired of constantly spending for the "latest and greatest". I will probably keep my current machine, and WinXP and FS9, for at least another year.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

wscott52 wrote:

Game designers are always pushing the edge of the envelope. A state of the art computer may still be mainstream in two or three years but it will definitely be on back side of the technology curve. If you want to stay current with the latest games you have to be willing to pay for the latest hardware. I did it for a while when I was younger and finally got tired of constantly spending for the "latest and greatest". I will probably keep my current machine, and WinXP and FS9, for at least another year.

Buy or build at top spec PC today,and tomorrow its already out of date Crying or Very sad sad but true

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

dannyboy2005 wrote:

kl. Windows vista is sh*t to be quiet honest. I had it on an illegal copy once (Worked fine but games didn't realy like it)Its just too long drawn out to use. I like XP Pro to be honest buy hey.

Well, if you are going to judge Vista by trying an early beta version, you are liable to find that the final product is quite different, and that software will have been developed that works well on it.

Pro Member First Officer

Buy or build at top spec PC today,and tomorrow its already out of date 😞 sad but true

I already built my current pc (Show as my sig) but i brought everything from eBay expect Ram i got from a local pc shop and the motherboard i got from komplett. I have had tonnes of problems with it. such as keep freezing etc and wasn't meeting my expectations. My neighbour got his pc from tesco's i think, and he downloads tonnes of 5h1t on it and he has no problems what so ever. Where as i install Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and the computer goes up the swanny He has never had to format once since he got his unlike mine, i end up formatting it every 2 months Evil or Very Mad.

If i want a dell (I'll leave it untill Summer 06, when FSX comes out and Dell "MIGHT" have a rig suitable for for that) but the problem is my dad won't let me, he says what a waste of money, i said i'm buying it but he replyed its pointless because i'll be starting work in a year or two time. How can i convince him to let me buy it???

Pro Member Chief Captain

dannyboy2005 wrote:

I already built my current pc (Show as my sig) but i brought everything from eBay expect Ram i got from a local pc shop and the motherboard i got from komplett. I have had tonnes of problems with it. such as keep freezing etc and wasn't meeting my expectations. My neighbour got his pc from tesco's i think, and he downloads tonnes of 5h1t on it and he has no problems what so ever. Where as i install Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and the computer goes up the swanny He has never had to format once since he got his unlike mine, i end up formatting it every 2 months Evil or Very Mad.

If i want a dell (I'll leave it untill Summer 06, when FSX comes out and Dell "MIGHT" have a rig suitable for for that) but the problem is my dad won't let me, he says what a waste of money, i said i'm buying it but he replyed its pointless because i'll be starting work in a year or two time. How can i convince him to let me buy it???

You don't mention what PSU (Power Supply Unit) your using. I'm using a Sweek 500Watt PSU and runnig smooth.

As you can see from my sig I have a self built PC. I only had to reformat it twice. Reason
1. Install Windows XP64bit trial. Couldn't get enough 64bit drivers that worked.
2. Re-install Windows XP Home Edition.

They are the only two times I had to reformat my HD. I've had this PC since Feb 06 and haven;t had any problems at all.

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

dannyboy2005 wrote:

Buy or build at top spec PC today,and tomorrow its already out of date 😞 sad but true

I already built my current pc (Show as my sig) but i brought everything from eBay expect Ram i got from a local pc shop and the motherboard i got from komplett. I have had tonnes of problems with it. such as keep freezing etc and wasn't meeting my expectations.

My First Build)
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 3200+
ATI radeon X800 Pro 256MB
512MB Ram
7200RPM 160GB SATA Hard Drive
Philips Sonic Edge 5.1 Surround Sound card
Philips 5.1 Surround Sound

On paper this sounds like a very nice computer. This brings up another point about a manufactured computer: You can expect all the bits and pieces and their drivers to work together harmoniously. And it will come with a comprehensive warranty. Just looking at your specs I would add another 512 Mb, or more, of RAM right away. Make sure your video and sound card are running the latest drivers. Do this and I would expect a lot of your problems to go away. Have you looked in Device Manager to see if Windows detects any obvious problems? Are you sure your cooling system is up to the task? Do you monitor operating temperatures? You don't say what your power supply is but anything over about 350 watts should be fine. More is better and most here will probably tell you 350 is a bare minimum, or not enough, but most factory computers are woefully underpowered and work fine. From what I''ve read if you install more memory your computer now might run Windows Vista.

Reasons to buy a Dell:

1.) Competitive price due to purchase power of Dell.

2) Comprehensive warranty of delivered computer with 24 hour
telephone tech support

3) Chosen components designed to work together and tested.

4.) Dell's are very easy to work on. Most components can be changed
out without tools.

If you watch the website Dell will probably have some upgrade path for computers capable of running Vista that ship with XP near the release date of Vista. This is what they have done in the past to ensure sales of new computers when a new MS OS is about to be released.

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

I think the spec on the Dell is o.k. but pricey 🙄 .
I'd shop about if I was you dannyboy2005, there is some good machines out there at reasonable prices. I'm tempted towards the following pc, check it out, and for the price and spec £1299, it includes a 20" widescreen monitor too, and it's Vista capable, check out the others too in the left hand menu. 😉

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=88489

Pro Member First Officer

Just looking at your specs I would add another 512 Mb, or more, of RAM right away. Make sure your video and sound card are running the latest drivers.

I'm WAS running 500Watt PSU (From Ebay) but that litterly fried so i'm using an old 350Watt. I was thinking about slamming in anohter 512MB ram but i wasn't sure if that would over come any problems and if i'd notice any difference or if it was worth it. And with the Sound Card, thats a bunch of Shi7, Brought from ebay as well. It works fine and everything, but for some bazzar reason when i start my pc up it takes 5 mins exatly to boot up from where the windows boot up logo is to windows login screen and thats only happened since i added the sound card, bedfoe that it was quick a booting up (And yes i do do norton system works and disk defrag). I have tried to re-install the drives for it and they work but take a good 10 mins to insall. The computer works fine once it starts up but since i added the sound card it made it boot up sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I have 2 fans, one at top of case "Withdrawing" hot heat and one on the side, inserting 'Cooler' air. These are bloody marvelous, they have been running since the day i got them and they were only £1.50 each. not even ball bearinged.

I don't know what to do. Computers are telling us instructions now, although we designed them to understand our instructions!!.

P.S. Why isn't my signature working?

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

[quote="dannyboy2005"]

I was thinking about slamming in anohter 512MB ram but i wasn't sure if that would over come any problems and if i'd notice any difference or if it was worth it. And with the Sound Card, thats a bunch of Shi7,

Sound cards are cheap. You can get a Turtle Beach Riviera or Soundblaster Live! 5.1 for about $30.00. I'd take the sound card out and see if the computer boots normally. If it does pitch the sound card and get a new one. It sounds like the sound card may be one source of your problems. One of the things MS was trying to achieve with WinXP was a 30 second boot time after the POST completes. Not all WinXP computers meet that goal, but most come close. There is something wrong if the computer is taking 5 minutes to boot. The memory will make FS2004 work much better. Other programs will benefit too but FS2004 is a real resource hog.

I have no idea why your sig is not working. I don't use one.

Pro Member Chief Captain

dannyboy2005 wrote:

I'm WAS running 500Watt PSU (From Ebay) but that litterly fried so i'm using an old 350Watt.

There's your problem for a start, you are way under powered for that sought of rig.

before you do any more upgrading you will need to get a decent
name brand PSU.

Another thing why oh why would you buy computer hardware from eBay. You should look over the website that sell some pretty good stuff.

Overclockers
RL Supplies

I have brought many things from both shops and I can 100% reconmend them.

I even brought my self build PC from RL Supplies and haven't had a problem at all.

Liono

Pro Member First Officer

[/quote]Another thing why oh why would you buy computer hardware from eBay. You should look over the website that sell some pretty good stuff.

I buy it from eBay because it 'Cheaper' and easier.

Mum runs her own business as such, a Childminder. She has signed up to Dell to recieve discounted PC's (As she has her own business as such) and dad chukced me the mag when it came through the post (Even though its adressed to her) and i said why u giving me this, you said i'm not allowed a new pc, and he said hmmm and said just buy a cheap dell for £800 that will do the same job as a Top end XPS (gaming Rig). I Wondering for that price will it?

Pro Member First Officer

I cocked that last post up completly, let me adjust it.

Another thing why oh why would you buy computer hardware from eBay. You should look over the website that sell some pretty good stuff

Mum runs her own business as such, a Childminder. She has signed up to Dell to recieve discounted PC's (As she has her own business as such) and dad chukced me the mag when it came through the post (Even though its adressed to her) and i said why u giving me this, you said i'm not allowed a new pc, and he said hmmm and said just buy a cheap dell for £800 that will do the same job as a Top end XPS (gaming Rig). I Wondering for that price will it?

Liono - Thats what you get if you buy Quility stuff from repital shops. I don't thank i'll buy Main hardware from eBay, Just stick with buying games and that from there.

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

dannyboy2005 wrote:

buy a cheap dell for £800 that will do the same job as a Top end XPS (gaming Rig). I Wondering for that price will it?

Liono - Thats what you get if you buy Quility stuff from repital shops. I don't thank i'll buy Main hardware from eBay, Just stick with buying games and that from there.

If an £800 Dell would do the same thing they would never sell any £1700 Dells would they?

The low end Dells are for people buying a first computer or on a tight budget. They will be okay if all you use a computer for is web surfing, email, the occasional word processing, and some simple games. They make the XPS series for people like you, and me, who have serious gaming power needs. Look at the specs for both of them and it should become obvious.

For the record: Your 350 watt power supply should be adequate, not generous but still adequate. If it is a really cheap one or damaged it may not be putting out it's advertised wattage.

For an idea of your power requirements:

http://www.fiveanddime.net/powersupply.html

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...