Taxiing speed

Excelsis Guest

I have a problem with the taxiing in my little Cessna 172. I try and hold it under 20 knots but it either goes too fast and veers off in all directions, despite my using rudder control, or if I drop speed too much it stops altogether. I can't seem to find a good middle-speed where I have a nice smooth taxi speed that I can control. Is it something to do with fuel mixture perhaps or something...?
Any tips gratefully received.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Well with a Cessna, I would taxi at about 10-15 knots 😉

20 knots is too fast 🙂

SteveT wrote:

20 knots is too fast 🙂

Thanks for the answer but like I said, that's what I do. I keep it UNDER 20 knots. At 15 knots it goes too fast and at 10 knots it stops altogether. I can't seem to find a middle way.

Anonymous wrote:

SteveT wrote:

20 knots is too fast 🙂

Thanks for the answer but like I said, that's what I do. I keep it UNDER 20 knots. At 15 knots it goes too fast and at 10 knots it stops altogether. I can't seem to find a middle way.

Don't you have flaps turned on?

Anonymous wrote:

Don't you have flaps turned on?

A light bulb just turned on. I still have flaps down. I should have retracted them right?

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Usually I taxi the cessna at 13 knots...you should be able to control your turns at that speed 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

For taxiing, you need to have flaps up and around 1200-1400RPM. Keep your speed below 18kts ground speed and use differential brakes to steer (F11 and F12) and turn at around 8-12kts using differential brakes again.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

In real life, a light aircraft such as a Cessna 172 should be taxiied at a fast walking pace, but in large International airports I assume the speed is considerably higher.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

stop reading your indicated airspeed Wink you'e not in the air and all it will be reading is the wind you're in - useless for speed. in such a small plane i usually use my instinct or press shift+z to see my actual groundspeed.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...