Just to get an idea (PMDG/Vatsim)

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Just wanted to ask those of you who have the PMDG 737NG, on average, how long does it take you to go through preflight, FMC setup, and engine start?

Also, for those of you who fly on Vatsim, is it just me, or do I need them to type out the transmission every 2 minutes. Especially when I fly out of London Heathrow/Gatwick, the controllers always seem to have the authentic British accent, and they speak very, very quickly, so I can rarely pick up what they say. (No offence to our fellow British members...its my fault, I just can't do much to deal with it).

One more question, is it OK for controllers to deviate from the standard "English" transmissions and speak the native language of the airspace the control? It gets me a little confused.

Finally, I have a feeling I have the answer to the question, but isn't it just a little discouraging when the controller tells you "Are you deaf?!" 😕 (I won't be mentioning who may have stated that for reasons you all know.)

😉 Thanks! 😉

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

crosscheck9, I fly the level-d but i also fly the pmdg 737ng sometimes, on average it will take me 5 or 10 mins to go through the pre-check. The second question, I never had that problem of repeat trans, i just so used to atc i know what to expect. Your third question i dont know, i only fly in the cont usa and in my flight plan i specify i only read and speak english. As for the 4th question that is very unprofessional and i would report the controler to Vatsim.

PS: Please excuse my sentencing, i need to goto bed soon seeing double 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

crosscheck9 wrote:

Also, for those of you who fly on Vatsim, is it just me, or do I need them to type out the transmission every 2 minutes. Especially when I fly out of London Heathrow/Gatwick, the controllers always seem to have the authentic British accent, and they speak very, very quickly, so I can rarely pick up what they say. (No offence to our fellow British members...its my fault, I just can't do much to deal with it).

You can ask the controller to speak slower if you aren't understanding him/her. Alternativley you should just use text, not voice!

Pro Member First Officer

Also to add to what cheechm said you can also ask to repeat last trans or if you cannot totally understand the controler and they are being rude just switch to com 122.80 and announce your intentions there, then report the controler. I had to do that just once

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Ok, as a VATSIM controller, here are some replies:

- I cannot speak for our esteemed British colleagues, but yea we come in all flavors (or flavours if you will). Microphone quality varies, connection speed, accent and fluency. Often you won't be able to understand a controller. What to do? "Say again for <callsign>" and then "say again" again. If you feel it is the sound quality, just say "receiving you 2/5, please send text too" or something to that effect. If you just can't understand the accent or the controller is speaking too fast say "please repeat slower for <callsign>" or even ask them to alphabetize (for example to say Echo Golf Kilo Kilo instead of "Ga'wi' In'nationa'" Wink

If a controller tells you "are you deaf" tell them you can't understand them and there is no call for being a smartass. Then if it can be resolved, fine. If not, please do us all a favor and report them to their VACC (or ARTCC) supervisor. I can't stress this enough. Controllers are people and they can be having a bad day I suppose (although they should not be online then - it's a hobby, it's about having fun), but don't think that they are some kind of "guild" that always sticks together. We do weed out the bad apples (not that there are many).

- The universal language of ATC is English. That having been said it is ok to use regional language (real controllers do it too). My rule is (well, actually the Hellenic vACC rule):
1) If there is only Greek traffic on my frequency, use greek.
2) If *anyone* (Greek or otherwise) calls me in English, respond in English.
3) If there are *any* english speakers on the frequency, call everyone in English.
4) Small exception: If a person does not speak English well, we're not there to torture them, we continue in greek and advise other traffic of important instructions.

As for your first question, I don't have the PMDG birds, but I have the Wilco/FeelThere 737, which is just as complex. I would say about 20 minutes for the preflight, all the way up to engine startup. Clearances come quickly in LGGG, but I have been asked to wait on occasion in busy places like Heathrow or Atlanta.

Hope all this helps. Don't hesitate to ask anything. VATSIM rules!

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Ahh, thank you all for your replies. I appreciate your taking the time to respond to this post.

I fly out of that specific area where the controller conducts his work very often, and I'm sure many other pilots, (along w/ me) have gotten used to him. I guess I'll let his comment slip. I only asked him to say again twice, but it did enough to aggravate him. Like Bindolaf said, "Controllers are people and they can be having a bad day".

That said, all in all, I've had a great experience with Vatsim, and it accomodates the more complex aircraft very well. I can't tell you how happy I am to finally have a controller give me clearence for a specific SID, rather than having to assume all traffic will move out the way for me in the default flight sim w/ no ATC.

Although it does lack controllers, I've been trying to fly during peak hours, and to participate in the Vatsim events, so I tend to catch all the controllers before they leave their post.

Thank you all 😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Glad you're enjoying it 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

I've heard a little about VATSIM. COuld anybody explain it to me in further detail and also.... how the hell do you use it with FS???

Pro Member First Officer

If your serous about sim flying then this is the place for you, goto Vatsim and sign up, read up on the pilot material download the pilot client usually squawk box kick the tires and light the fires and enjoy. They also have a forum if you need some help but there is an faq that answers most if not all your questions.

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

When flying the 737NG, it will usually take me around 15-20mins to go through everything, that is when i am doing things thoroughly. As in preflight, FMC setup, engine start.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...