Aborted Take-Off

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Hey,

Interesting video.... ➡

(dead link removed)

Apart from the somewhat "incorrect" and ridiculous commentry, it is a cool vid 😉

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Munkeh Guest

Hehe just read about this on flightlevel...

That guy is a total ass, it's a good job no one was sitting next to him. I'd be glad the flight was aborted so I didn't have to listen to him talking to himself for the whole flight. 😳

Anyways, the take off. How did the crew know that the tryes had gone by by?

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Munkeh wrote:

That guy is a total ass, it's a good job no one was sitting next to him. I'd be glad the flight was aborted so I didn't have to listen to him talking to himself for the whole flight. 😳

That's the thing...the brakes caused the tyres to blow, not the original reason for abort. He mentions an Asiana 767....

Munkeh Guest

pilotwannabe wrote:

Munkeh wrote:

That's the thing...the brakes caused the tyres to blow, not the original reason for abort. He mentions an Asiana 767....

Ahh I see, the credits mentioned another aircraft but it wasn't that clear. They really were "flat as pancakes..." though, in his favour 😀

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Air Canada flight aborts takeoff in Japan
Tokyo, Sept 12: An Air Canada flight bound for Vancouver aborted takeoff on Tuesday from a West Japan airport after pilots slammed on the brakes due to a warning signal indicating trouble with the plane, officials and a news report said.

The Boeing 767 was about to take off from a runway at Osaka's Kansai International Airport when a warning signal indicated trouble with the vessel's landing gear, prompting pilots to bring the plane to a halt and abort takeoff, according to Kyodo news agency.

Air escaped from the plane's four right wheels from the impact of the brakes, but there were no injuries, Kyodo said.

Airport official Akiko Jintei partly confirmed the incident, saying the vessel headed to an airport runway at 3:40 pm (1210 IST) but told airport control about 40 minutes later it would abort takeoff for further maintenance.

She said the airport was waiting for Air Canada to provide more information, and could give no other details.

Calls to Air Canada's offices in Tokyo went unanswered today.

Bureau Report

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

very interesting video

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

That guy is a f Censored ing moron. He almost died because of a RTO 🙄 I hate it when people think they kno what they are taking about and they dont have a clue.

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

What a dufus...that was probably the worst commentary I've ever seen. I think he thinks that he's in "A Clockwork Orange" or something...what a dufus.

I think the fire-fighters were using a high-tech temperature sensing device to check the temp of the unblown tires. After a deceleration of that kind, it is VERY likely that the brakes have overheated and the tires might blow up.

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

i saw this on airliners.net crazy critisism going on. this guys an a-hole. especillay since after v1 it would have been handled in the air....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

earthqu8kes wrote:

i saw this on airliners.net crazy critisism going on. this guys an a-hole. especillay since after v1 it would have been handled in the air....

What?

Negative sir.

Pro Member First Officer

Solotwo wrote:

earthqu8kes wrote:

What?

Negative sir.

He's got the principle, just not the terminology. After Vref the pilot is committed to take-off, there is simply not enough runway left to stop the plane. The pilot actually takes his hand off of the throttle at Vref so that he is not tempted to abort after that speed.

Obviously we don't know the speed of the plane in this video, but judging by the amount of runway left when they stopped, they were well below Vref when the decision to abort was made.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I think your thinking of VR, Vref is the reference landing approach speed.

VR would be the rotation speed. And V1 technically the critical engine failure recognition speed

Pro Member First Officer

Solotwo wrote:

I think your thinking of VR, Vref is the reference landing approach speed.

VR would be the rotation speed. And V1 technically the critical engine failure recognition speed

Oops, I'm wrong. I was thinking of Vef combined with V1. I'm not sure how I added the r to Vef.

Thanks for the correction.

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

That was not such a good idea

Im enjoying my freedom.

Pro Member Trainee
seadogs Trainee

even though you don't know that guy, you just want to slap him around!!!

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Great vid, PW, despite the comentary!! 👍

😎

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

Despite the child's comments (He is really a child) the video is really awesome. Did you hear full thrust going immediatally donw to reverse? I think it is the one and only RTO video from the inside of a plane. I'd kill for video from the cockpit. Man, this captain had to react quickly. He sees some little changes in all these indicators, and BAM! slams the brakes and within less than a second throttle goes down. Imagine the force that the passengers felt during braking. I thought they will be able to see flames from the brakes, but just blown tires. 767 rulez!
Does anyone know then what happend actually, why the RTO?

knoedlh Guest

There's a lot of wannabes out there wishing they were the ones pushing the heavy iron around the sky. This guy's obviously one of them. Maybe we ought to give him a break - I mean, it's obvious he's not, and all we're doing here hsi embarrasing him...

Pretty good video, though...

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

hmm i want to agree with the comment above...but he's so annoying! (not the guy above, the video man)

however it is quite cool in a way.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Video's great, wonder why it has only 2 star rating on google ❓ ❗ It's probably the comments that guy made. Anyway awesome video ❗

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...