Another FMC related question.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

How do you control the descent rate with the FMC?

PS: Let me be a bit more detailed. How would I control the descent rate in the FMC of the PMDG B737-600 NG?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Mc_GaNgStA wrote:

How do you control the descent rate with the FMC?

PS: Let me be a bit more detailed. How would I control the descent rate in the FMC of the PMDG B737-600 NG?

Can't speak specifically about the PMDG FMC but normally the FMC computes TOD point based on angle not rate. Normal would be 3.0 with a range of 1-6 degrees. This setting is normally in the VNAV setup. Descent rate would depend on angle and ground speed. Descents are not normally controlled with the FMC unless you have a crossing restriction. Manual descent using FLCH or vertical speed is the norm with descent clearance from ATC. It does come into play when ATC says cross ABC VOR at FL 220. Once programed into the FMC, a descent point will be calculated. Some aircraft are able to start the descent automatically but some just give you the advisory and vertical speed indication needed to conform to the altitude at the fix. You descend manually referencing the needed vertical speed.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

Thanks for the explanation CRJ. Can someone guide me through the descent procedures, I don't seem to get it? I tried a flight from Málaga to Barajas and half way on descent I had to disable the VNAV and LNAV and follow ATC to reach airport...with a steep descent rate to arrive in time.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...