Odd cruise with Boeing 747-400

adamdistefano11111 Guest

Hello,

I love FS2004, ive been playing it alot recently, currently im doing a flight from Sydney to Frankfurt.

At the moment im at 34000 and ive got it on auto pilot on, and the only way i can keep it level with the horizon is to have alot of flap...this is wasting fuel and probably isnt right, if i dont have flap it sits about at 5 above the horizon....

can someone help me?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Large aircraft don't fly with the nose on the horizon, it's normal and realistic for the aircraft to fly with a pitch attitude of about 5-7 degrees nose up. Especially noticeable at high altitudes or low altitude and low speed.

Pro Member First Officer
kieranja First Officer

if it flew level. As it is a lot weight it got keep pinting up to stay in sky. it would fall out of sky slowly if it was level. planes dont go fast enough to stay the same hight at a level pitch only jets.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

kieranja wrote:

if it flew level. As it is a lot weight it got keep pinting up to stay in sky. it would fall out of sky slowly if it was level. planes dont go fast enough to stay the same hight at a level pitch only jets.

More or less, yes. If we think about it, pitch changes are one of the ways to control airspeed - nose up pitch increases drag, slowing the plane down.

When OP adds flaps, this increases drag, so it's possible to pitch down and still remain below the barber pole. In a real aircraft, though, I suspect that the use of flaps at cruise speed would be dangerous.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...