hitting centerline

Pro Member Trainee
benbastock Trainee

i've been flying for ages i am pretty good except all this time i am unable to hit the centerline visually without ils and vor approaches from the cockpit view even with a cessna 172 it is diffficult any tips

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

The only tip is practice, practice!!! 😉

Pro Member Trainee
kaz01007 Trainee

I posted a similar questions a little while ago and everyone's reply was similar: practice.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

yes I am some people here take flight lesson which def. comes in handy when taxing and landing on the center line. Just as the others said we didnt get fs and just magically land and taxy perfectly we had to practice. You will get it soon.

Pro Member Trainee
benbastock Trainee

thanks for your help i find that an aiming point in the windscreen helps me most

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

benbastock wrote:

thanks for your help i find that an aiming point in the windscreen helps me most

Well thats just like flying in vfr conditios. When turning etc you want to look out at the horizon and pick a spot so you wont change headings, and when turning look at horizon so you can see if you are acending or decending. You might of already known that.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

benbastock wrote:

i've been flying for ages i am pretty good except all this time i am unable to hit the centerline visually without ils and vor approaches from the cockpit view even with a cessna 172 it is diffficult any tips

- Keep your speed constant, in a 172, aim for 70kts on approach
- Make small movements on the control surfaces
- Leave a few moments before moving the controls again, inertia will ensure a delay between your moving the control surfaces and the aircraft beginning to move.
- Keep a descent rate of around 600fpm
- Don't over compensate on controls - bank or pitch and then look at the result before moving again
- Anticipate movements. If you are banking very slightly, you know this will get worse if left - don't let it! Similarly, if you hit turbulence and you end up in a nose down attitude, you should recognise that your speed will pick up and that pulling back on the stick will have a larger affect.

As has already been said: practice, practice, practice.

Good luck 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

benbastock wrote:

- Keep your speed constant, in a 172, aim for 70kts on approach
- Make small movements on the control surfaces
- Leave a few moments before moving the controls again, inertia will ensure a delay between your moving the control surfaces and the aircraft beginning to move.
- Keep a descent rate of around 600fpm
- Don't over compensate on controls - bank or pitch and then look at the result before moving again
- Anticipate movements. If you are banking very slightly, you know this will get worse if left - don't let it! Similarly, if you hit turbulence and you end up in a nose down attitude, you should recognise that your speed will pick up and that pulling back on the stick will have a larger affect.

As has already been said: practice, practice, practice.

Good luck 😎

Every single thing 99jolegg said was absoloutely correct 😉

Pro Member Trainee
E-mage Trainee

benbastock wrote:

just make sure the runway is in the center of your screen on aproach and 90% of the time you will land on the center line. but then again, easier said than done

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

one word.... crosswind.

ugh.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...