Capt Scott's Retirement...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Well after the umpteenth time I've had to dick around with trying to get my CH throttle Quadrant to work with FSX, I have finally had it! As I write this I am uninstalling FSX for the last time, taking it and the CH yoke , rudders, and quadrant to the garbage bin and ending my career in sim aviation. Overall the entiure FSX experience has been lacking, and with all of the constant problems I'm encountering, not worth the stress and problems. I am buying drinks at the old stick and rudder tonight, then my retirement will be final. It's been a lot of fun in here, but not so much with FSX.

Cheers
The Captain.

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Before you take those drastic measures I'd suggest you get a copy of FS2004 - only a few bucks nowadays. Everything will work, even your CH Setup and you won't have to spend another cent on add-ons because practically everything you could possibly want is available as freeware.

You wouldn't be the first to take a step back from FSX to FS2004 and you won't be the last, I can assure you that.

PS: Check out the Screenshots forum in the FS2004 section to get a glimpse at the fun and enjoyment that can be had with FS2004.

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Try fs2004, and also try x-plane. (google it!)

And don't throw away the hardware... if nothing else i'll pay shipping and you can send them to me!!! 😀

Pro Member First Officer

I wuz exagerating slightly when I said I'd take them to the garbage bin... I've listed them on our local Kijiji for sale. I'm stupid...but not that stupid Wink

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

My experience was similar to yours. I purchased FS2004, and have been having a wonderful time with it. 😀 For just a few bucks, I think you should give it a try. There are hundreds of compatible down loads available which will allow you to do just about anything you would like, from bush flying to carrier ops. Since my installation of FS2004, I have had none of the problems that I had with FSX. My frame rates went from about twelve, with low settings, to a steady twenty-four, or higher, with all settings maxed. My computer is a 1.6 gig Dell XPS, about two years old. Give it a try!!!!! 😉

🍻

Regards ... Art

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

googled x-plane.
looks as good as FS2004 and it's the sim being used for kit planes, Zenair and Sonnex that I'm interested in.

Later edit
So I downloaded x-plane demo. CH flightstick and pedals work fine with it. You go into settings move various controls and assign them to appropriate function. X-plane would be THE big re-learning curve for me. Couldn't jack the seat (point of view) up above the panel. Must be a way though.
I'll think about it.

Pro Member First Officer

Ok, I've magaged to find a copy of FS2004 on Amazon and ordered it. It should arrive in a few days and I'll give it a whirl. Thanks. Anyone want a mint copy of FSX??? Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Group Wave Welcome to the Resistance!

Anyone want a mint copy of FSX???

Sure...I'll swap you - postage is on you Umm... or better yet, on the Aces team

Pro Member First Officer

Gee... Let me think about that... I send you my FSX and pay I get to pay the postage, what a deal!! Not! 😉

I've got it listed on Kijiji for 35 bucks CDN. A fraction of what my wife paid for it as a Xmas gift for me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Is she gonna file for divorce now? Don't fret, Microsoft will cover the legal costs.

Sorry, I don't mean to be impudent but would like to point out (in case you didn't already know) that there exists a fringe society numbering in the thousands worldwide known as "FS Widows".
On the other end of the spectrum there is the fringe society "FS Bachelors"...

Now then... guess which of the two groups outnumbers the other 🙂)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

oldsamer wrote:

Later edit
So I downloaded x-plane demo. CH flightstick and pedals work fine with it. You go into settings move various controls and assign them to appropriate function. X-plane would be THE big re-learning curve for me. Couldn't jack the seat (point of view) up above the panel. Must be a way though.
I'll think about it.

Aaaahhh...Oldsamer you never mentioned the slick suit one gets to wear ➡

You're way ahead of me, at least you are IN the seat already. I've yet to find the F-4 and the carrier, let alone survive my first trap 😳
That chute might come in handy 😀

Pro Member First Officer

Lucky am I that my wife loves NASCAR, NFL,CFL, and Hockey... Not to mention Dancing with the stars, so you think you can dance, idol, etc. ect. All which leave me with plenty of time for my silly flying stuff. Real or Sim. And I already have the suit and the chair.
So There 😂

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

Hey, sounds like you never had FS2004? FSX is a joke, its about as big a joke as was Fs2000. I think Micropuke puts these out in hopes of making money form those who are new and want to see what its about.

FS9 is great--You will find it looks far better than FSX and runs smooth

Pro Member First Officer

You would be correct there Capt. I have only had FSX and I think I was expecting more from it. It will be nice to see how FS2004 runs.

Pro Member First Officer

Got FS2004 Yeaterday and loaded it, after some good advice I installed the updates and am eager to give it a try. On first look it seems fine, if a little less detailed than FSX, but overall pretty good. Now if I can only manage to get rid of my copy of FSX, everything will be just grand.

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Now be like the rest of the fs2004 members buy tons of addons and waste your money you could spend on real flying lessons, or just pirate (like most of the fs9 community does).

Pro Member First Officer

ARGGGGG!!! Havin gone through the whole flight training scenario, I wonder if I'm qualified to be one given the true expert pirates in the flight training industry and their ease of wasting your money if not out right stealing it. Mine was double dipping from my student loan funds and milked over $2000.00 from me before going under. If I ever hear of any of them augering in, I won't likely shed any tears. Twisted Evil

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...