How to Save Joystick/Throttle Button Settings for backup

Pro Member Trainee
Todd (ohboy710) Trainee

My question is when I save my settings it saves the weather settings, sounds, scenery, traffic, etc etc.. but my joystick settings don't save. So in other words when I do a reinstall all of my settings are there except I have to map all of my joystick, throttle controls all over again. I have tried everything to figure out this, but for some reason those are not saved in the regular configuration file that saves when you save your settings. Does anybody have any idea how I can save these so I don't have to keep re-mapping them all the time. Even if I unplug one of the usb ports for the joystick, etc then I have to re-map it all over again. It's really frustrating.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

That's odd
I use usb CH flightstick and rudder pedals with whatever driver msXp uses when it detects them. In FSX Sp2 settings / controls the sim recognizes the stick and pedals, I've reassigned some stick buttons (hat switch , brakes) and changed sensitivities. It's all saved when I save a flight, if I clicked the default box.

So in other words when I do a reinstall all of my settings are there except I have to map all of my joystick, throttle controls all over again.

So what are you reinstalling??

Pro Member Trainee
Todd (ohboy710) Trainee

well i just got a new computer so I'm reinstalling FSX all over again.. but I have had this problem in the past also and I want to save myself a lot of headache in the future if I have to reinstall again

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Does your joystick use sofware for creating profiles ❓ And if you had one set up does it not work now. ❓

Pro Member Trainee
Todd (ohboy710) Trainee

Accelor wrote:

Does your joystick use sofware for creating profiles ❓ And if you had one set up does it not work now. ❓

I don't use anything special. No special drivers or anything.. Windows just recognizes it all. I have a joystick, throttles and rudder peddles all usb.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Rule number 1:

Provide as much information as you can. It saves time, avoids confusion, headaches and family break-ups.

I have a joystick, throttles and rudder peddles all usb.

What brand did you say those were...?

Pro Member Trainee
Todd (ohboy710) Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

Rule number 1:

Provide as much information as you can. It saves time, avoids confusion, headaches and family break-ups.

I have a joystick, throttles and rudder peddles all usb.

What brand did you say those were...?

I have CH Quadrant, and CH Rudder Pedels, and just a basic Logitech Joystick. They all work great, but none of my button commands that I pick will save. Everything else saves... my graphic settings, etc just not the commands for the controls.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Ya, it's a quirk in FSX.

If you go to SETTINGS / Controls / BUTTONS/KEYS, there are columns for Event | Keyboard |Joystick | Repeat, But not for Quadrant or Pedals.

The explanation of what's happening is that FSX will save user assigned events for Joystick buttons, but when FSX loads Quadrant and Pedals, FSX loads it's default button assignments for Quadrant or Pedals and those can overwrite user assignments.

A good example are brake events. I use a CH flightstick with red trigger assigned for brakes on/off @ mid repeat rate and that works fine UNTIL I plug in the CH pedals that have differential toe brakes. FSX's default brakes assignment for CH PRO PEDALS overwrites the red trigger = brake event assignment and I have no way to re-assign the toe brakes to left or right brake event. The quirk can effect saved events. I can set the parking brakes after parking on the ramp, save the flight and exit FSX. When I restart FSX and load the saved flight parking brakes are off unless I've unplugged the pedals before loading.

CH has a solution for this in freeware (control manager v4.2). That's a background program that integrates different CH devices into a unified game controller. Of course you have to buy only CH devices!

Pro Member Trainee
Todd (ohboy710) Trainee

Awesome thanks for the info. At least I am not crazy and somebody else knows what I'm talking about. I have CH products so I'm lucky. I'll have to download that and try it out. Thanks for your help!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...