Game will not load...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

So after downloading a freeware aircraft (alphasims C-170B) and flying it for a bit. I exited the game. Now FS2004 won't load? I open flight sim and get the opening screen which then goes black before returning to my desktop. I've tried reloading and I get a message that FS9 is already running and that I need to exit??? I really don't want to go through the entire uninstall/install as with FSX, so is there a simple solution to his error? Rebooting the computer didn't work, and I'm guessing if I uninststall I'll loose the clean downloads I had such trouble installing in the first place.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

I've tried reloading and I get a message that FS9 is already running and that I need to exit??? I really don't want to go through the entire uninstall/install as with FSX

No need to uninstall the sim. It happens to the best of us that we forget that the sim is already running (minimized) and we try to load the sim - hence the warning message. You cannot run two instances of the sim simultaneously. I tried running FS9 and FSX simultaneously once, that didn't work either. The same message appeared.

If you seem to have a problem closing down / exiting the sim in the usual manner, try the following:

Hold down Ctrl and Alt simultaneously and now press Delete.
You'll see the Windows Task Manager popping up. Make sure the "Applications" Tab is selected. You will now see all the programs that are running.

If you see FS9 on that list, in the Status column it will either say Running or Program is not responding. Regardless of the status, Select (click on / highlight) FS9 on that list and now click on "End Task". Give it some time to respond -- you might get yet another prompt -- again, give it time to sort itself out and continue with closing down FS9.
Once it's done, FS9 will have disappeared from the Applications list and is shut down. - I would reboot my computer, this will give the ogre which is MS Operating System time to sort itself out. Then you can try and fire up your sim again.

I know the issue is not the C-170B unless the funky brunette pilot has managed to detract you. 😂

Pro Member First Officer

I tried that when it happened, and there was nothing on task manager. I tried to restart windows, and also did a hard boot with the same results. The game will not load. All I keep getting is the opening photo, black screen, desktop... The only other recent change is that I've installed the scenery from FSGenesis but I wouldn't think that's causing a problem? I exited and started the game a few times since then. So it's sometihng from the last time it was used? It's had a bit of time overnight, so I'll give it a try again tonight. Otherwise I tihnk my only option is to do a complete uninstall and hope it takes when I reinstall it. I had to give up on FSX as the program would not reinstall as sometihng in the background was interfering with FSX.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Delete the last flight, if that doesn't work.

Delete the FS9.cfg, the Sim will build a new one.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

How do I delete the last flight if I can't get the game to start? It only goes as far as the DC-3 picture for Century of Flight then to black and back to desktop... Is there a saved flight in the fs9 files in programs?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Click on "my computer" the folder is in administrator files I think, I don't have FS9 installed.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Radar, I'll rummage around in my PC when I get home and see if I can find any saved flight files. Failing that I'll do an uninstall/Install and reload everything. I hope it doesn't do this every time. 🙄

Pro Member First Officer

Killed the config and it did the same thing... deleted the Flight sim folder in documents and it worked. Weird..

Thanks for the help Guys.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Killed the config and it did the same thing... deleted the Flight sim folder in documents and it worked. Weird..

Thanks for the help Guys.

It is weird indeed, I still think it's a bug MS has never bothered to iron out. I'm mentioning this because it is likely this simple solution will help you out of a jam in the future.

You did the right thing by deleting the Flight Simulator Files Folder. Actually that's usually the first thing I do. If this doesn't help, I'll delete the fs9.cfg.

I don't very much enjoy deleting the fs9.cfg because I have to wade through the plethora of settings and put them back to the way I like them - but that's a different story.

Now about that Flight Simulator Files Folder. Obviously this is where flights are saved, the ones you decide to save and the UI generatd flights and your last flight when you exited the sim, whether you actually saved the flight or not.
Most problems will be encountered by the unwary when they save a flight AND inadvertently make it the default flight. This results in weird, uncontrollable behaviour when you create a new flight, different a/c, different location.
But being aware of this danger is not enough. Sometimes a flight or a part of that flight's data can be saved without you knowing. That's the bug I'm talking about.

Pro Member First Officer

Yeah, I did also deltte the fs9 config although didn't see any difference in the short hop I managed in the F-80. I might regret doing so as I wasn't aware of what it affects. BTW I installed FSGenesis World and North America Scenery and it looks way better, With this one addition, I feel completely comfortable in saying I no longer miss FSX. I'd recomend this upgrade to anyone running FS9 considering the reasonable price ($39.99) and ease of install.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...