I want a new computer!!

Trainee
jettaman Trainee

I want a new computer!! ...who doesn't.
Can sombody please suggest what kind of new computer I should get next..thats out there.

I'm running a compac Prissario with 2.9 ghz (i think) 4yrs old.
It has only 2 slots...😞

I have maxed out 2gb RAM on my DDR's. IGB each slot.

I love XP!!! but does this mean with a new comp I have to run vista? Is that good or bad? and suggestions on vista?

I want more!!! more!!! more!!!, speed and smotheness around airports! (thats whare it seems to bog down, cars planes, get jerkey in motion. My world/distance settings are at med all around. I really don't want to lower it.

Maby all I need is a better graphics card???? but still want more RAM!!!!

(I run Captain sim, Sky Sim's planes and water affects (are high on my list).
What is the best graphics card out there now, mine is about 2yrs old.
thanks in advance...

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jettaman wrote:

I love XP!!! but does this mean with a new comp I have to run vista? Is that good or bad? and suggestions on vista?

The word is that Microsoft will finally stop support for XP in July. Vista IMHO is rubbish compared to XP. Critics calculate that the upcoming Windows 7 might be a slight improvement over Vista but that XP would still be the preferred OS.

If you want to stick with XP, I suggest you buy a copy because I doubt they would have given you one with your Presario. The latest XP OSes should include SP2... it's a good idea to download SP3 ASAP and keep it in a safe place; this way you'll be fine until either MS gets their act together or another non-MS OS hits the market.

If you own a copy of XP you'll have the choice of building your own (or having it build to your specs) or buy an Apple Mac Pro., install XP and run the sim under Bootcamp.

Trainee
jettaman Trainee

Tailhook,
Thanks for the info.....

I do have system discs, lucky me.
SP3 (do you mean Service Pack 3?, if so I have that.

I'm so upset that I don't have 4 slots in my comp, my brother has 4 in his. I could have twice the Ram, I must have an older compac.

Any suggestions on a better or the "Best Graphics Card? (my card is about 3yrs old)

Maby a better Graphics Card would make my airports/scenery run alittle smoother.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jettaman wrote:

I do have system discs, lucky me.
SP3 (do you mean Service Pack 3?, if so I have that.

I'm still a bit suspicious about what you call system discs... I do hope for your sake that they are actually the OS. Brand computers such as Compaq are not known for providing you with an OEM OS unless you pay for it - if they're prepared to do it at all.
What you get with your initial computer purchase instead is some kind of "Restore Disk" which will restore your system to the factory settings of the manufacturer i.e. reloading all the useless apps and bloatware they've decided you NEED.
Anyway, on your Microsoft OS disk should be printed something like: "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition".
If you do have the actual MS OS you're safe. Yes, SP3 means Service Pack 3.

You do have an older Compaq 😉 4 years is actually considered to be ancient. The only way that you could theoretically increase your amount of RAM is by putting a new motherboard into your PC... if you manage to find one for your Presario that is. Should that elusive mobo be able to accommodate a better graphics card you'll have to get a better CPU as well or you'll end up with a bottleneck.
The problem with brand computers such as Compaq etc. is that they use many proprietary parts which could mean that a new mobo for example has to be manufactured by Compaq and because that's the only one that'll fit, you'll have to sell your car to pay for it.

To sum it up, you'd be spending too much money on upgrades for the Presario, upgrades that would be very limited in scope and unsatisfactory anyway.

Pro Member Trainee
Joseph Risenhoover (thevoice692001) Trainee

You can increase alot of your abilities on your system by increasing the paging file. I have built over 400 computers and this is one of the greatest tricks in the book when you cannot get more ram into your machine. Another trick I learned is to install your flight sim program onto a external usb hard-drive. This HD moves faster so you get the information to your computer much faster. If you have any q's about all this try emailing me thevoice_692001@yahoo.com; I can walk you through the changes

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

thevoice692001 wrote:

You can increase alot of your abilities on your system by increasing the paging file. I have built over 400 computers and this is one of the greatest tricks in the book when you cannot get more ram into your machine. Another trick I learned is to install your flight sim program onto a external usb hard-drive. This HD moves faster so you get the information to your computer much faster. If you have any q's about all this try emailing me thevoice_692001@yahoo.com; I can walk you through the changes

I for one would be very interested in your tricks -- the installing of the sim onto an external HDD for starters. I've read about that before but I couldn't imagine the sim running faster because:
Let's say I transfer a file the size of 1 GB from one external to another external takes definitely longer than transferring the same file from my internal HDD to an external one. I suspect I'm missing the geeky expertise here but am not courageous enough to tinker without guidance in this respect. The same can be said about increasing the paging file.

Regarding e-mailing you for a walk through... I think the PM system is more appropriate for this purpose, however other members who'd like to know as well would be missing out on some very useful information.

If I were you, I'd start one topic on how to install the sim on an external HDD and another one on how to increase the paging file. (The Hardware Forum might be a good place as these topics are pertinent for both FS9 as well as FSX users). In this way, everybody in the community can benefit from your input.

Thanks in advance and welcome to the Forums 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
Joseph Risenhoover (thevoice692001) Trainee

My first post and I screw it up..........lol just one note on the whole thing part of the additional speed and an external drive is the fact you are taking alot of power drain off the power supply that would be used to run another drive, thus leaving more power for the processor and vid card, and that is just part of it, but yes I will change the way I posted it

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hey, you didn't screw up at all, but you will like the rest of us... no biggie.

I've got my externals connected to a Belkin 7-Port Hub with its own power supply so this wouldn't be an issue. It's all USB 2.0 though and what used to be Hi-Speed two years ago has become excruciatingly slow by now.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=158910

But hey, I'll definitely want to try the external sim installation -- just don't forget to mention whether the original install on the internal HDD has to be uninstalled first when you start your topic.

Trainee
jettaman Trainee

Thanks guys for the info, i'm still learning....

Tailhook, I do have (old news now) system discs 8 of them, that I was able to make from the comp when I first bought it. It asked me if i wanted to make a backup discs , so i did. After install it loads all the junk programs ect...then it says Welcome Home edition.

I agree, this comp will cost alot to get what I really want. (thanx Microsoft!) Twisted Evil

thevoice692001 thank you for the extra info...

I have a Compaq Presario Celleron R
CPU 3.20GHZ
2g Ram DDR PCI slot (2 of them)

Guys I bought the 8400 GS Card!
Installed it and its now slower than before...I don't think this Card works for my comp...
A: it says it has 512mb DDR2....I'm DDR only!..first mistake. (does that matter)
B: It says its made for Vista...2 mistake...(Didn't see that!..oops)
I am PCI!

The plane, in the window in freeflight when picking planes it also really slow turning/ as is the program now!...
I used to have a Diomand 2600XT that runs better than this....

If this still can work any way to turn off unwanted filtering ect in the GS control Panel. if not.....
What kind of card do you suggest: I'll get it.
I have a Compaq Presario Celleron R
CPU 3.20GHZ
2g Ram DDR PCI slot
Thanks Guys!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jettaman wrote:

Thanks guys for the info, i'm still learning....

Tailhook, I do have (old news now) system discs 8 of them, that I was able to make from the comp when I first bought it. It asked me if i wanted to make a backup discs , so i did. After install it loads all the junk programs ect...then it says Welcome Home edition.

To make those backup disks is always a good idea - better safe than sorry. However, what you backed up wasn't the actual Operating System, you don't have it.
What you backed up was the Compaq installation of the OS which is useless on a non-Compac computer.

Trainee
jettaman Trainee

Oh well.... backup OS. got it.
I'm thinking of going vista...😞 like a e6400? or whatever, im just frustrated, I want to buy and fly. i'm getting to that point!!

I just don't get it.

If I cant get this thing running smoother, it takes like 10-15 sec before anything happens on a simple click on the screen?

I tried all the control panel functions on the nvidia control panel!

I have a
Compaq Presario Celleron R
CPU 3.20GHZ
Sp3
2g Ram DDR PCI slot .....Thats pretty good.

Programs:
FSX
Shockwave Redux lights
Follow Me
Sky sims
Capt sim
My traffic x
Megascenery x So Cal & Vegas

8400gs, I must have the wrong card for this machine! maby I should try another?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Pick up o copy of FS2004 for a few bucks until you can afford a new computer. The one you have now should run FS2004 nicely.

Trainee
jettaman Trainee

I guess, thats like nasa going from spaceshuttle to the rocket!

I thought JFK said, we don't do things because their easy, but because thay are hard!...lol's

I have 2004...will see

How did you add you harrier plane to your posts.
I have 70kb image but it doesn't seem to work

and it doesn't seem to work as an avatar? in my profile?...its a a bitmap image?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...