New FSX Pilot

Pro Member Trainee
Jonathan Stanley (Captain_Jon_Stanley) Trainee

Hello everyone,

My name is Jon Stanley I am a 21 y/o Firefighter / Security Officer from Canada. I have just purchased FSX and am looking forward to training my flight skills.

Just a little about me.

I have served 1 year in Afghanistan as a Firefighter and now am back home working as a Security Officer until another Fire position comes up. I am a world traveller with 34k miles accumulated on Air Canada / Star Alliance members which has given me the AC Prestige 25k Status / Star Alliance Silver Status, and 15k miles accumulated on British Airways. Flight Sims have always been an interest of mine and with my recent purchase of a high end gaming laptop I am ready to give it a proper go. I do not have a joystick and plan on using a mouse.

I am planning on downloading the Air Canada DH-8 and starting there then progressing up to Jet Engine Aircraft. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Impressive background.
If you start as planned you will give up in about 30 minutes.
Start with a single engine aircraft using the lessons provided in the sim.
When you learn to takeoff, fly properly and land then you can graduate to airliners although I would try the DC-3 provided in the sim before an airliner like you want.

By the way, you will not only be more successful but will enjoy flying much more with a joystick, an expensive one isn't necessary.
Look in your local large shops that have a display (Best Buy?) and then buy one at a good price from Amazon.
Be sure that it has your Operating System listed on the box.

Good luck and let us know how you are getting along.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Hello,

Thank you for your reply I will be sure to go to a local electronic store and pick up a joystick. I will definitely start off on a single engine after your advice and maybe after I figure out the ins and outs jump to a Beechcraft 1900d.

Should still be a few days till it arrives but will update!

Thank you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Great, have a good time and I know you will enjoy the stick and starting out slow.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Hello,

I can not find any joystick in local stores. I am looking at ones online. Is there a specific one anyone can suggest for under $75? Thanks

Pro Member Trainee
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 Very good choice.
I didn't think you wanted one that advanced.
You'll enjoy using it on airliners.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Thank Radar.

With your opinion In mind. Do you think it is to advance? Would you suggest just a joystick not a throttle/Joystick combo?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

No it fine.
Some of the cheaper ones are just that...cheap.

Use it in combination with this, download it and print it out.
You'll be surprised how much of a help it is.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21854/fsx-keyboard-commands/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Got FSX today! Horrid without joystick... Hopefully It arrives soon.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😂 Even though you have keystrokes for everything now you see why I suggested a joystick,
Yours will come soon and you start enjoying the flight sim.

I hope you bought the Gold version of FSX.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...