B737 FLARE

Hi all, lately I´ve been learning to fly the Posky B737 (previously I´ve flown the A320, A319 and A321), and I´m starting to get a bit desperate about touching down. Whenever I try to flare the aircraft, the plane just seems to go up, and so it´s impossible to land the plane with the nose pointing up, like I´ve seen in real life and also in other FSX videos. I always land at between 130 and 145 knots, by the way, and of course flaps are fully extended. I would appreciate your help in this. Any tips?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I had already seen this. Honestly, it is not very helpful, as the Posky doesn´t really behave as a real 737 aircraft, I presume. Also, the nose seems to point down during the whole approach, at least when i start setting flaps, and i don´t know how could i fix this. Perhaps i am going too fast? I normally keep it within 210 and 230 on approach.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try landing full flaps at 165, not at 145 like you have been doing.

Also, have you checked these out.

let us know how that works.

Radar

I tried to land at 165 kts like you said, but it was even worse. However, i noticed in the video that he lands at around 130 kts, and I also checked his fuel weight, which seems to be also relevant in the landing. I set my fuel to the same amount and landed at 130 kts. Now it was better, although it looks like the b737 cannot flare as much as any of the airbus a320 family does. Thank you for your help, by the way.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm pleased to hear that that video helped, I didn't watch it but thought any other ideas would be worth something.

Radar

From your description it is not entirely clear what problem you are experiencing. Is the aircraft floating above the runway or are you landing hard?

If it is the former- are you closing the throttles as you flare? On approach you should be speed about 180 as you begin flap deployment and down to about 150 at the outer marker where you go from flaps 15 to gear down and flaps 30. From the OM you should be a bit nose low. As you cross the runway threshold at about 50' AGL, slowly raise the nose to about 3 degrees nose up while simultaneously slowly closing the throttles. Ideally, you will touch down as the throttles reach idle or with just a bit of thrust above idle. You do not want to be floating above the runway with idle thrust-that can lead to a hard landing.

Hard landings can also be caused by having too much thrust at touchdown and also by having a nose attitude that is too high which will stall the wing before the main gear touches the runway.

You may also want to try landing at flaps 30 instead of full flaps (flaps 40) as that will give you a little more flexibility in controlling your airspeed with nose pitch.

The aircrafts floats above the runway, or sometimes I touch down with the main landing gear and the airplane climbs again. During my last flights, I´ve also noticed that most of the times I make a very fast approach, and I start deploying flaps at 250 kts, which I think it´d be too much for a real aircraft. About the throttle, I know you should reduce to idle at about 20 kts, but sometimes it doesn´t seem to work for me. I normally touch down at around 125 kts, by the way. I´ll follow your tips, anyway, to see if that helps.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...