FS 2004 Stutters (skips)

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

Hi,
Have loaded FS9 on my new W10 PC and it works great. BUT for some reason I am still experiencing ocassional skips at some locations (momentary screen freezing). Sometimes it goes on for about 1/2 minute with five freezes or so during this time. Then the flight is perfect for another two minutes and all of a sudden another set of skips occurs. This happens even in regions where I do not have add-on scenery!
II have altered some data in fs.cfg as suggested by the new Airport Environment Manual but it did not seem to help.
Any thought on how to avoid the skips would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Peter

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Lower your autogen and clouds.
Shut off AI and shadows.
See how that works.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

H
Have lowered my autogen and clouds and A/C shadows but the skips were still there. Then shut down AI traffic and the skips were gone. So AI traffic does it. BUT I really want to see some traffic around and even after reducing it to 10% only, the skips started again. Must say that I got lot off ad-on aircraft, which I preplanned in TToos to aviate around me. All with 1% only. Otherwise I just got lot of WOAI traffic. Is it possible that only some aircraft cause the skips? If yes, is there any way to find out which? (in textures I guess).
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks
Peter

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The only way to find out which aircraft is causing this (if one is doing it) is to delete the last ones that you loaded after it was running nicely.

I think that your video card can't handle the AI, you need a newer and stronger card.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

Many thanks,
will experiment and report.
Regards
Peter

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

Hi, just to follow up
My skips improved. Cannot say that they are total gone but after doing the following they substantially reduced:
As suggested by the Full Environment 9 User Manual-(Available in AVSIM)
1. Renamed all my aircraft files starting with AAI_ ( I have 500 aircraft- mainly AI-so had to get Bulk Rename Utility program - works great)
2. Tweaked the fs.cfg in Roaming and added TextureMaxLoad=10.
3. Tweaked the terrain.cfg in the main FS9 folder.
4. Reduced my AI traffic to 20%
5. FPS 30
PS run FS9 in Windows 10, no issues works OK.
Regards
Peter

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Glad to hear that you have it at least partially under control.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
beroun First Officer

Hi,
I guess I am still seeking perfection. Yes the skips are substantially reduced but are still there and definitely caused by AI traffic. I also noticed that the AI planes are extremely sharp. It actually looks good, but I would not mind having less sharp AI planes and no skips. Is there any way I could tweak the some configuration file to reduce AI sharpness. A gut feeling tells me this could do the job.
Thanks
Peter

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You have to get more "power" to the AI.
Do that by lowering it again or lowering something else freeing up power.
Try autogen, shadows, clouds.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...