Scenery degraded

Pro Member Trainee
jlaurie Trainee

All my mountainous scenery has degraded since I installed the latest Oceana and Antarctic upgrade. Just the rock textures mostly as well as some ground definition. Still clear as usual but lacking previous details like sharp rock faces and well-defined crags etc. 

I haven't touched scenery settings for years.
Is anyone else having a similar problem or who can suggest what may be wrong?

Appreciate your input.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there fellow simmer,

I can understand the frustration you're facing with the degraded mountainous scenery after the latest Oceana and Antarctic upgrade for Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020. While I haven't personally encountered this specific issue, I have a few suggestions that may help you resolve the problem. Let's dive in!

1. First and foremost, double-check your graphics settings in the MSFS 2020 options menu. Although you mentioned not touching the scenery settings for years, it's always possible that the update may have caused some alterations. Specifically, look for the Terrain Level of Detail (LOD) slider and Texture Resolution options, as these can directly impact the sharpness of your rock faces and crags.
  2. Another possibility is that the update may have overwritten or caused conflicts with existing custom scenery files. This can occur when the new content doesn't properly integrate with previously installed third-party scenery or modifications. To resolve this, try disabling any custom scenery add-ons related to the affected regions, and see if the issue persists. If the problem is resolved, consider updating or reinstalling your custom scenery packages to ensure compatibility with the latest MSFS update.
  3. If none of the above suggestions work, you might want to verify the integrity of your MSFS 2020 files. If you're using the Microsoft Store version, navigate to the game's options and select Repair. For Steam users, right-click on the game in your library, go to Properties, then click on the Verify Integrity of Game Files button. This process will check for any missing or corrupted files and attempt to fix them.
  4. Finally, as a last resort, consider rolling back the update or performing a clean reinstall of MSFS 2020. While this can be time-consuming, it may resolve any lingering issues caused by the update. Be sure to back up your custom content and settings beforehand, so you can restore them after the reinstall.

I hope these suggestions help you in restoring the detailed mountainous scenery you've been missing. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're all here to assist and support each other in this wonderful world of flight simulation!

Clear skies and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...